Natural Birth
Options

Yeast/Bacterial Infection... Need advice!

Sorry ladies, I know this is TMI! I am a FTM @ 20w. (We found out today that we're having a girl!) The problem is that I also found out that I have a bacterial and yeast infection... and its the second time this month! Ugh. I hate that I have to take medication for this while I'm pregnant. I just dont know what to do! I was wondering if you ladies had advice for keeping these infections away? Besides, the obvious... I have been trying to only wear cotton underwear and yes, I shower everyday! :)

Thanks so much for any advice! 

BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Yeast/Bacterial Infection... Need advice!

• Options

Lots of probiotics - either get it through your foods (yogurt, raw milk, etc.) or take a pill.  I have actually treated my YIs during pregnancy by inserting yogurt vaginally.  It may be an option for you if you want to avoid the meds.  I know it sounds gross, but it did the trick for me :)

Also, avoiding sugary foods is supposed to help.  Sugar fuels the yeast in your body.

• Options

I have really bad yeast problems as well and these are some of the things that I have done to help control it.

1. Cut out all sugar, processed/packaged foods and dairy.

For sugar there are really good tasting Stevia substitutes out there now, I like Truvia. Try to eat real food lots of vegi's, meat and gentle carbs like quinoa and oatmeal, cut out white potatoes and corn, most other grains including corn feed yeast. Dairy can be a hard one to cut out but all of the lactose turns into sugar in your system and feeds the yeast as well. You may be able to still have dairy in small amounts in something that has lots of probiotics (greek yogurt, kefir and other cultured products may be fine with your body.)

2. Lots of coconut oil. EVO is the best but any kind that you can get helps. I forget what the name of it is but there is something in coconut oil that is really good for bacterial/fungal infections. I eat alot of it by using it to cook in, putting it in smoothies and oatmeal and even using it as a replacement for butter and other oils in baking.

3. A good probiotic pill. You can find these pretty much anywhere, you are going to want to find one that has a least 30 mill. per capsule.

4. If you can a gluten free diet also helps, just getting rid of all the extra starches that feed sugar. Substitute almond flour, quinoa and oat flour, try to avoid rice flour and potato and tapioca starch.

These are not quick fixes. It will take your body a few weeks to detox (no, it won't harm the baby) and then start healing. You may need the antibiotic to give you a jump start and go from there. Good luck to you, I hope you get relief soon! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto pps. 

The only thing I had to add is to take garlic pills. It's anti-infective. GL!
  • Options
    Thanks so much ladies. I started taking a probiotic last week but I am going to try to incorporate more of your suggestions!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You can also rinse your exterior areas(Dont douch) with a peri bottle with 2-3 Tbsp of applecider vinegar and fill the rest with warm watter. I do that a couple of times a day for a few days if I think Im starting to feel a little imbalanced and it helps gets the pH back to where it needs to be.
  • Options
    There is a probiotic called Fem Dolfophilis. It's made by Jarrow Formulas. It has two strains specifically to treat vaginal and UTI infections. It's a little expensive $40. I just started taking it and it is already helping me. I picked mine up at whole foods. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"