Trying to Get Pregnant

2 WW After Trying Shettles Method

Sooo.....now we have the 2ww! This is our first month TTC. We are giving the Shettles Method a try, as we would love to increase our chances of having a boy, even though we would be blessed and happy with a girl as well. Shettles Method trying for a boy limits you to pretty much one shot at getting pregnant a month, as you are to try as close to ovulation as possible, with no sex before or after...we gave it a shot this weekend. I turn 30 on the 21st and hoping for some good news to ease the pain of turning 30!  Anyone else out there giving the Shettles Method a try??? This is going to be a loooonnng 2 weeks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2 WW After Trying Shettles Method

• I'm just going to sit back and see where this goes...
  • Oh boy...

My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

• Loading the player...
  • Popcorn please

BFP: 1.19.2013 - EDD: 10.2.2013 - It's a girl! 9.25.13: Welcome Addison!

• imageLaurenAsh23:
    I'm just going to sit back and see where this goes...

Settling in with a glass of wine to watch things unfold...

• I've seen you girls attack some other people on here. I swear I'm normal...I was on the July 2012 Knot boards and talk to many of the girls on there to this day. I will happily delete this post if it warants itself...

I'm on here because I'm excited to start this next chapter with my husband and looking to seek advice from other women in the same boat, that is all.

I thought this is how you get a boy. 

ETA: gif fail. 

****************SIGGY WARNING****************

TTC since 2011
    DH: 29, Severe MFI; grade III varicocele; surgery postponed till KU
    Me: 30, POF/DOR, factor II hetero, MTHFR homo
    5 IVF's, LLP, EEP, MDLF all BFN
    IVF 6 using DEB USA frozen eggs
    developed bilateral PE's from BCP, cancelled/delayed 6 mths, taking lovenox
    Feb'15 SURPRISE 1st BFP ever! EDD: 10/10/15, FX
    Still have frozen donor eggs on ice
    All are welcome!
  • imageCayleighDawn:

imageLaurenAsh23:

Share? ::holds out empty wine glass::

• imageLuckyLinds:

I've seen you girls attack some other people on here. I swear I'm normal...I was on the July 2012 Knot boards and talk to many of the girls on there to this day. I will happily delete this post if it warants itself...

I'm on here because I'm excited to start this next chapter with my husband and looking to seek advice from other women in the same boat, that is all.

dont delete a thread...I don't think your abnormal. But if you've been lurking on here, you would know not to delete a thread!!

Also, like some pps said, we all just want babies, we don't care if its a girl or boy.

• I happened to do a lot of research before TTC and believe that the Shettles Method has good scientific reason to it. They actually have over an 80% success rate...at any rate I'm willing to give it a try, let it humor me. I'll report back and let you know if it worked or not.
  • Congrats on giving yourself a 50% shot of having a boy. 

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• I'll take either... I wouldn't decrease my chance on purpose with less sex with a 50/50 chance of a specific gender...
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • imageLuckyLinds:

I've seen you girls attack some other people on here. I swear I'm normal...I was on the July 2012 Knot boards and talk to many of the girls on there to this day. I will happily delete this post if it warants itself...

I agree there is nothing wrong with this. If you want to try it then love peace and prayers. There is no reason to "attack" anyone. Especially for something as great as wanting a boy. I say hey why not? :) I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  

For more info visit my blog: http://shockinglydomestic.com
  • imageSaranJonathan:
    I'll take either... I wouldn't decrease my chance on purpose with less sex with a 50/50 chance of a specific gender...

This. 

• imagekatyj25:
    1. There is a 2ww thread down a bit on this page. 2. The Shettles Method is crap. It works 50 percent of the time. 3. You made yourself sound like a teenager in this post and not a 30 year old woman. 4. Educate yourself.

5. Deleting threads is considered to be very bad form.

OP -- what research did you read that showed an 80% success rate for the shettles method?

imageimage
  • imageCLECyclist:

Two weeks later...

Second time today you've made me snort from laughter.

• imagedeziniki:
    imagechristia10:
    imageLuckyLinds:

I agree there is nothing wrong with this. If you want to try it then love peace and prayers. There is no reason to "attack" anyone. Especially for something as great as wanting a boy. I say hey why not? :) I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  

WTF?! I take a break from studying A&P just to see this post. God, I would just be happy to be KTFU, boy or girl!

And WTF is this? Are you from China? "Especially for something as great as wanting a boy"?! Because having a girl would be a horrible thing?

Wow... Just wow.

Not to say a girl is bad of course not. Both are precious but if you have a girl and want to try for a boy then why not? There is no reason to be that way (hurtful). Plus what if I was from China? Obviously based on my profile pic I am not :) I just think if someone wants to try an "old wives tale" then why not. No reason to attack. Of course a child is always a blessing.

For more info visit my blog: http://shockinglydomestic.com
  • Good Luck on your 2ww

i have never tried that method. But good luck..

and happy birthday. That is my bday as well. 

imageimageimage BabyFruit Ticker BFP#1 10/23/07 EDD 8/30/08 Born 4/13/08 21 weeks "Angel" BFP #2 DS 9/30/09 EDD 7/6/09 DX IC 1/18/09 Born 6/19/09 37 weeks. Healthy Boy BFP #3 9/17/12 EDD 6/1/13 MC naturally 11/4/12 10 weeks BFP #4 1/23/13 EDD 10/7/13 Stick LO!! Stick!!
  • imagechristia10:
    imageLuckyLinds:

ITA
    imageimageimage BabyFruit Ticker BFP#1 10/23/07 EDD 8/30/08 Born 4/13/08 21 weeks "Angel" BFP #2 DS 9/30/09 EDD 7/6/09 DX IC 1/18/09 Born 6/19/09 37 weeks. Healthy Boy BFP #3 9/17/12 EDD 6/1/13 MC naturally 11/4/12 10 weeks BFP #4 1/23/13 EDD 10/7/13 Stick LO!! Stick!!
  • The only sure fire way to get a boy is sex in this exact order:

1) Let him put it in your ear for warm up, he cannot be 100% hard when doing this. The ear wax on the end of his penis will play a role in step 2.

2) Use said ear wax for taste as you need to give him a BJ next.

3) Butt Sex, lots and lots of butt sex.

4) He must ejaculate in your belly button.

***DD 5/15/2004***TTC #2 Since March 2012***Severe MFI*** LameBlog ***

CafeMom Tickers
  • if you stay on here for more then 3 cycles I guarantee you will learn not to post this and you will take what you can get

check that....1 cycle 

• imagePaitonsmommy:

The only sure fire way to get a boy is sex in this exact order:

1) Let him put it in your ear for warm up, he cannot be 100% hard when doing this. The ear wax on the end of his penis will play a role in step 2.

2) Use said ear wax for taste as you need to give him a BJ next.

3) Butt Sex, lots and lots of butt sex.

4) He must ejaculate in your belly button.

Annnnnd DD in 3...2......

My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

• I hope you get your boy!!! My husband and I are also TTC and I didn't want to have a baby after 30 which I have one year till. We have 4 boys (2 are mine and 2 are my step boys) and we wanted to try one more time for a little girl. I read about the shettles method for ttc a girl. I'm not really following any method, I'm just going to take my chances and if we have a boy then at least I'll know the routine!! hehe. Good Luck!!
  • So how exactly does the timing and such for the shettles method work? How do you know you haven't missed your window? Good luck OP! I hope you get what you want

TTC #1 since August 2012

BFP 7/5/13 ~EDD 3/17/14 - MC 7/22/13

DX PCOS 9/17/13 - Cyst on left ovary benched on BCP

10/12/13 Cyst is gone starting cycle #1 Femara - U/S shows no response

11/19/13 Large cyst on right ovary. Benched again.

12/18/13 2 cm cyst still on my right ovary. Back to BCP. 

1/10/14 start femara 5mg for 10 days

IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Why do anyone of you need to be nasty to her. Who cares what she wants. I hope she gets it!!!
  • Dear OP,

There is nothing wrong with trying the Shettles method. However, the Shettles method is based upon limiting your frequency of intercourse during the already narrow fertile period. Your chances of conception, if you are normal and healthy, are only 20-25% per cycle already. Most people have variable cycles and it may be challenging to predict your fertile period.   

Furthermore, the Shettles method has been scientifically disproven. The article below is published in the best medical journal in the U.S. It isn't a perfect study but it has some interesting information, especially if you like statistics and numbers. I'm new to the entire TTC process as well and I was curious about the Shettles method. I found this article on Fertility Friend, a helpful and informative website. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199512073332301#t=articleTop 

Good luck! 

• imageLuckyLinds:

They all say this at first...

• imagekrptcmschfmkr128:
    imageLuckyLinds:

You've obviously been hanging out with the wrong crowd. The only way to guarantee a boy is to eat blueberries and paint yourself blue for the whole TTC + pregnancy.

::evil laugh::

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• I totally get wanting to try something like that.. I thought about it but decided against it. Good thing.. because two years later...........
    ?TTC#1 since 04/11?CP 03/28/12?Me:Polycystic Ovaries&Endo??Him:MFI- Awaiting 2nd SA?
    ?Blog?
  • That method is crap...good luck with that.
    <3 *Evan Michael* <3
    {06/15/2010 ~ 9lbs. 4oz, 22.5in.}
    <3 *Twin Angel Babies* <3
    {Said Goodbye on 08/13/2011 at 17w3d}
    No longer TTC
    *~Kisses to My Bestie Boo, ScrappyLika~*

• imageBanker&BSN:
    imageLuckyLinds:

They all say this at first...

And then this happens  https://www.in-gender.com/

• I'm kind of glad the OP didn't post this in the 2WW. The gifs alone deserve their own thread.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The thing that I find most confusing about the shettles method is that you're trying to pinpoint sex to only O day.  DH and I have a hard enough time keeping him in town long enough to hit 2-3 days in my FW!

Previous posters have provided links to sound research, so I'll provide some anecdotal - My aunt tried to have a girl for 8 years using the Shettles Method.  She had 3 boys.  On her last try, she decided to use the Chinese Gender Prediction calendar and she got the girl she was trying for!

BTW - based on the Chinese gender prediction calendar, I am a boy and DH's brother is a girl.  Guess that one's not so helpful either.

imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • imageLuckyLinds:

I was also on the July 2012 Knot board and your name doesn't ring a bell.

The Shettles method is BS. It works 50 percent of the time which is the same odds you have at getting the sex you want with just bding everyday in your fertility window.  

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageTamma254:
    imageCayleighDawn:

imageLaurenAsh23:

Share? ::holds out empty wine glass::

My glass is also empty because my dumb dogged knocked over half a glass (yeah, when I drink wine I don't do that "acceptable glass of wine" quantity - to me, a glass is a full glass!) onto the carpet last night. Apparantly she was also in need of some pink moscato. I'm contemplating upping my classiness tonight by grabbing the rest of the bottle sans glass and going to town!

OP - if you want to do Shettles, go for it.  The problem is that it's not proven (and in some circles it is disproven) to work.  By doing it, you're decreasing your chances of getting pregnant at all.  A lot of posters on this board have been trying quite a while, and decreasing chances of getting pregnant at all with a method such as this just to get a specific gender is not worth it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • lol! Let us know if you get your boy!

I thought it just depended on whether an x or y sperm got to the egg first? Guess I have been misinformed! lol

**Siggy/Ticker Warning**   

TTC #1 since May 2012

May 2013: First R.E. appointment

DH: SA is good

May 2013: CD3 Blood work-normal
               June 2013: Hsg-Right tube blocked

July 26, 2013: Starting Follistim for IVF #1

August 2013: IVF #1 Cancelled- Abnormal embryos

October/November 2013: IVF #2 w/ICSI

November 8, 2013: Transferred two early blasts (no frosties) 

November 18, 2013: First EVER BFP! 

Beta#1: 91  Beta#2: 288

1st U/S- 5w2d Saw yolk sac!

3rd U/S- 7w4d HB of 157bpm!

TEAM BLUE!

http://movingtolight.blogspot.com/

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• imageMeatandBandP:
    I'm just hoping for a baby, ill take a boy or girl.

Exactly, my thought!

• One reason it is crap is because what was thought to be the difference between X and Y sperm (that X lives longer and Y goes faster) has been contradicted and in some cases shown that there is no difference in speed or survival between them.

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• There's a daily thread on 2WW - you should post this on. Check out The Great Sperm Race on youtube! It's worth taking the hour to educate yourself on all of the obstacles sperm have to go through, even timing of sex there's still no guarantee.  
    3T January Siggy Challenge: New Years Resolutions 
    TTC since 10/2010 (Rhythm method since 2007)

Me (33) Sept 2012 - DX Low ovulation/progesterone, Luteal Phase Defect. HSG 5/2012: both tubes are open, cervix and lining look good;
    September 2014 DX Hashimoto's; November 2014: PCOS IR

DH (37) Sept 2012 SA Normal; October 2014 Mild MFI count 42 Million, Motility 36%, Morphology 2%. Clomid 50mg,
    2004 Cyrosurgery, LEEP
    May 2012 - HSG Clear; June 2012 - Appointment with RE
    July 2012 - October 2012 - Clomid 50mg W/ TI & Progesterone 3 mature follicles- BFN
    January 2013 IUI #1 (900,000 post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 2 mature follicles - BFN
    February 2013 IUI #2 (1.3 Mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 4 mature follicles - BFN
    March 2013 IUI #1-3 (2.5 mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, Baby Aspirin (lining thinned) TI & Progesterone - 2 mature follicles BFN
    April 2013 Benched due to cyst, May 2013 WTF appointment
    June 2013 DH SA mild MFI break for 2 months to re-test; August 2013 - DH SA 36 Mil count, 36% Motility, Morp 2%
    September - December 2013 - Mental sanity Break
    January 2014 - IUI #4 switches to natural due to scheduling conflict Femara TI & Progesterone - 1 mature follicle - BFN
    May 2014-June 2014 - DH Appointment w/ Urologist to check Bi-lateral Varicocele; 2nd opinion w/ another urologist - bi-lateral varicocele dx is slight no surgery
    July 2014 DH starts clomid 25mg daily SA 53.8 Mil count, Motility 37%, Morph 3%;
    September 2014 DH Repeat SA after being on clomid for 3 months 42 Mil Count, Motility 36%, Morph 2%
    October 2014 Me: Hashimoto's DX, DH taken off clomid;
    November 2014 Me: new RE PCOS IR Diagnosis
    December 2014: IUI #4 Follitism 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, BFMFN

January 2015: IUI #5
    Gonal-F 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, Another BFMFN onto IUI #6

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"