Natural Birth

Do you recommend a doula if you take Hypnobabies classes?

My husband and I decided to sign up for Hypnobabies classes.  We are trying to decide whether to hire the instructor of the class as our doula.  My husband wants to wait until after we take the class (which starts a month from now), while I am leaning toward hiring the doula now in case she's not available later (I like her experience in HB, etc.).

Do you really think a doula is needed if you take the HB class?  My husband thinks that we might discover in the class that we want to do the techniques on our own (I think he would like to be my main "coach," wonders if a doula is worth the money, and basically isn't sure about hiring a doula, so wants to wait until we know more about HB).

Have you had success in implementing HB with/without a doula?  I'd like to do an unmedicated birth.  Thanks so much for any tips!

Re: Do you recommend a doula if you take Hypnobabies classes?

• I am wondering the same thing... Also if you have used a doula in addition to taking the class... Was your doula a hypno doula or just familiar with the technique?  Sorry, didn't mean to highjack your post.

• I used the hypnobabies home study course with my first and I can tell you if I could go back and do any one thing differently it would have been to also hire a doula! It wasnt that the hypnobabies didnt help-it certainly did! However I really neded someone just there for me during the pushing stage to help me focus and remember to turn the hypnobabies cds on once I was too far into laborland to ask for them. 
    This time around I hired a doula who has used the program for birth herself and I think things will go much better!
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't speak from personal experience yet, but I will say that I have decided not to have a doula.  MH and I took a Hypnobabies course together and I feel confident that he will be able to support me.  Now, I'm also going to have my midwife in the hospital room with me throughout labor and delivery so that's a help.  If I was dealing with a less supportive provider who wouldn't be as hands on I would probably have more strongly considered a doula. 

With that said, I always think a doula will be helpful.  It's not like adding support is going to hurt anything, just for us I didn't want to spend the extra money when I felt like we will be okay on our own is all.

GL!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I haven't given birth yet, but I am doing the HB home course and I hired a doula two months ago. I think there is no such thing as too much support for a laboring woman, and I will gladly take all the help and assistance I can get.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • hi a previous person mentioned that they wanted their DH to be their primary support, a good doula will never take that away from the partners, she will work with both people and the family to provide you with the birthing experience you want. Depending on where you birth the midwife may not be with you throughout the whole process, but a doula can give you and dh support, studies have shown that having a support person throughout the entire process helps shorten labor and provides a better experience. A doula can get you more to drink leaving dh with you, or dh just needs a break, the doula will stay with you, they are never to replace, but to  support.

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• I think a doula is always helpful.  With our last birth my DH was my main source of support and the doula supported him-reminded him of comfort measures, etc.  She will be our doula again.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"