Maryland Babies

If your LO's teeth came in late

I know I am not the only one. B is 14 months and still only has his two bottom teeth. I seriously don't know what gives. Does it ever become a concern if they haven't come in by a certain point?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If your LO's teeth came in late

• I'm not far in front of you, but DD is only up to 4 and didn't get her second 2 until almost exactly 14 months.  My understanding is they aren't concerned in the slightest until 18 months (if they have none at that point), but even then, there isn't much you can "do."  At DD's 1-year appt, her pedi said that it really shouldn't stop her from eating a wide variety of foods, since the teeth used for chewing are the last to come in, and they can mash foods up pretty well without them. 
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DS didn't get a single tooth until 11 months.  He is 22 months now and still only has about 12.  He got one of his bottom teeth, then one of his top teeth.  It was super strange.  My dentist told me that they may be stronger than children who's teeth came in earlier, but I am not sure if that's acccurate.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • C still has no teeth at 10 months old. I looked back through A's baby book and she didn't get her first tooth until 10 months old either. I'm hoping this is our month.

• Huh, ok. Yeah, B didn't get his bottom two until 11 months.....and still nothing since!  I open his mouth and look in there every day. The other kids in his class have full mouths of teeth!

DS1 got his first two right around 7 months and then they just kept coming in.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Kieran didn't get his first tooth until a few weeks after his first birthday.  His last canine just broke through last weekend at around 28 months.  We still have the 2 year molars but I can't imagine those will come in until close to 3. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think I win the prize for latest to get teeth - DD didn't get her 1st tooth until she was 18.5/19 months.

The pedi basically said if she didn't get any by 10 months, one should be concerned but you could see that teeth were present. If if doesn't look like there are any teeth, then you'll go to a dentist who will do x-rays. There could be a genetic cause for no teeth being present. I'm not sure what kind of "options we would explore", as per my pedi, but he seemed to think it was pretty rare.

DD could eat plenty of foods, though obviously couldn't do things like tearing bread, etc. In case you were all wondering, DD has 10 teeth. It seemed to take a long time between when she got her first teeth and when she got the rest. She has some molars, but still doesn't have her canines...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagemadladybride:

I think I win the prize for latest to get teeth - DD didn't get her 1st tooth until she was 18.5/19 months.

The pedi basically said if she didn't get any by 10 months, one should be concerned but you could see that teeth were present. If if doesn't look like there are any teeth, then you'll go to a dentist who will do x-rays. There could be a genetic cause for no teeth being present. I'm not sure what kind of "options we would explore", as per my pedi, but he seemed to think it was pretty rare.

DD could eat plenty of foods, though obviously couldn't do things like tearing bread, etc. In case you were all wondering, DD has 10 teeth. It seemed to take a long time between when she got her first teeth and when she got the rest. She has some molars, but still doesn't have her canines...

If I'm reading your signature correctly your daughter is less then 2.  If she got 10 teeth between 19-24 months I think that's really fast!  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The Goose only has 4 teeth and the top 2 are pretty new.  I looked back through D1's baby info and we had asked the pedi about teeth at her 1 year appt, so I guess I have 2 slow growth teethers. 

We generally have 4-5 months between pairs coming in.  I do wish she would get some grinders but she's getting pretty good at biting with her 4 teeth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At a year old, Claire got her top two (she got her bottom two at 11 months).  Then nothing.  At around 18 months she popped out four more in about a week (along with her four molars coming in).  To say she was spectacularly miserable is an understatement!

I did bring it up at her 18 month pedi appt. and they didn't seem concerned. 

Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • Yes, my siggy is correct, so DD got 10 teeth in like 4 months. I think she will be getting another 1 or 2 soon. It's been about 3 weeks, so she is due for one - and she's been really restless. The dentist thought that was pretty fast, too.

imageTriciaandSean:
    imagemadladybride:

I think I win the prize for latest to get teeth - DD didn't get her 1st tooth until she was 18.5/19 months.

If I'm reading your signature correctly your daughter is less then 2.  If she got 10 teeth between 19-24 months I think that's really fast!  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Not sure what the norm is for baby teeth. C has the four on the bottom, the top two center teeth and she is getting her first molars in now. She is a drooling, snotty grump these past few days.

• I wouldnt be to concerned. My daughter didnt get any teeth until she was 13 months old, she is now 15 months old and has 5 teeth. they will come when they are ready to come.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"