Natural Birth

Oral antibiotics for GBS?

I have fast labors such that an IV antibiotic might not have time to be effective.  My pharmacist dad says he has seen women put on an oral antibiotic when they hit 37 weeks.  Has anyone had any experience with this?
Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!

Re: Oral antibiotics for GBS?

• No experience but I thought that if they catch it with the swab at 36-ish weeks that they'd do oral antibiotics then... Maybe that's just wishful thinking of common sense...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeah, the idea is that it wouldn't necessarily still be effective by the time you deliver, but my dad said this was a daily dose until delivery... Not just a 5 or 10 day standard course.  I'm going to ask my OB about it.  With my second baby, I was induced because of the positive result and my history of fast labors.  We waited until I was 5.5cms and did AROM after completing an IV dose.  My delivery was otherwise intervention-free, but the process, waiting, and worrying were stressful.
    Mommy to Seth (4) and Catherine Anne (13 mo.) Excited to welcome a third child in March of 2013!
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe call a midwife in your area and see if they do a douche for it instead.  That's what my midwife does.  I like that idea better.  I've had thrush with my youngest and it was horrible(cause by using an antibiotic).  She says if I test possitive we'd do it 3 times in labor and we wouldn't have to worry if the antibiotic had time to work or not. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"