February 2012 Moms

F/U on Angry Aunts and small party...

We decided to do a dinner (thanks pinkshades!) with the aunt on DH's side and the one on my side (separately) so that they are included and we don't have to invite the entire 60+ guests of the extended family to the party.

This resulted from an hour long convo/fight with DH and MIL. They originally were going to throw a larger party after our little dinky one, inviting the entire extended family (minus my side) - and we said no (as we'd have to then have one for my side and we'd shunt the bill since my parents couldn't afford it). DH even went as far as hanging up a few times and I had to ignore her calls so I could stay out of it. I felt like I was at a therapy session. I mean - DH was bringing up stuff about feeling hurt by his brother over some big secret and our wedding was even brought up and how she was upset about the seating chart - which is odd as she had 90% control of the seating chart! It went all over the boards!

I now feel awkward if I have to go over there this week. I may just avoid them lol!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - (K6Db)

imageimageimage

TTC #2 since 10/2013

BFP #1 (4.14.14) ~ CP (4.18.14)

BFP #2 (6.27.14) ~ EDD 3.7.15

Re: F/U on Angry Aunts and small party...

• imagebearsbearsbears:
    Wow that sucks. One of my friends once told me that weddings, funerals, and births bring out the worst in families. nbsp;Guess we should add first birthday parties to the list.Seriously speaking, it sounds like you did a great job avoiding the drama and staying out of it even though your MIL wanted to drag you in. nbsp;It must have been difficult to keep quiet.nbsp;

I second this and I'm glad you found an arrangement that worked for you! Sounds like your MIL has more issues beyond the birthday party.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I am glad you were able to figure something out. We have a similar dilemma here. DH's extended family gets their feelings hurt over every little thing and if they aren't invited to every stupid little event, regardless of whether or not they are interested in coming, they throw a huge tantrum.

So we are having the big she-bang party with E's grandparents, aunts, uncles, and playgroup friends. Then we have to have a separate event a few days later so that DH's aunts and grandma don't get their panties in a bunch... So yeah We have to foot the bill for 2 separate parties. I'm really excited about that if you couldn't tell.

I hope for your LO's sake everyone can get along and not drag any drama to her big day!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #1 1/11/11 M/C 2/4/11
    BFP #2 6/13/11 Baby E born 2/18/12
    BFP #3 12/3/12 C/P 12/5/12
    BFP #4 2/10/13 Baby R born 10/19/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"