Maryland Babies

bring your baby to matinee thing..anyone done?

has anyone done this? does any actual movie watching take place?

trying to find new things to do and actually get out of the house with LO so thinking about it....

scrunched up face

Re: bring your baby to matinee thing..anyone done?

• I used to go to the movies with DS all the time when he was little. I took him to movies that I wanted to see and he usually slept through the entire thing. If he did stir, I would nurse him back to sleep. There were very few people there, usually just older people or even a few other moms. 

Now that he's older we have taken him to one movie to see The Lorax which was... interesting to say the least. He talked through most of it and was ready to "change the channel" by 45 minutes into it! Even in the dark I could see the stink eye some of the other parents were giving us. We have yet to take him to another movie. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I was thinking of going tomorrow for the first time, to the one at the theater at Columbia Mall... Depends on whether I can get us out of the house by noon!
  • Loading the player...
  • I went to one a few months ago with another SAHM friend, our LOs are 3 days apart and we figured we could give it a try.  We went to the one in Owings Mills and we were the only people there with babies!  There was one other family, I think it was maybe a mom and a son?  But he was older, like maybe 7 or 8.  I was hoping for more LOs to socialize a bit lol.
  • imagedgiles44:
    I was thinking of going tomorrow for the first time, to the one at the theater at Columbia Mall... Depends on whether I can get us out of the house by noon!

If you are looking to be in a near empty theater (which for me was a must with a potentially crying baby) I would go to the one at Snowden Square. It's far less crowded than the one at the mall. There's always a crap ton of people at the mall theater even during the middle of the day. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• thanks gals. I think it's worth giving it a try although I agree it's hard to sometimes get out by a certain time with LO but I'm determined not to be cooped up in the house with DD all the time. Maybe next month for me though-- I just remembered we have a doc appt. Maybe we can plan it so we get other moms to go-I know there's been a few posts about trying to meet new moms on here and tis the new year, right?!!
    scrunched up face
  • I went last month in Owings Mills. It was pretty empty - I think maybe 4 other moms/babies besides myself, and two couples who were just there to see the movie.  Most of the babies slept through the whole thing. I heard some babbling, but no crying at all which was impressive!  It was definitely more just a chance to catch a movie than a social thing though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I apologize but my phone app is cutting out the subject line. I'm assuming your talking about the BYBM monthly bring your baby matinee specials. I have a friend in another state that does this every month and loves it. Once LO is here any day now I plan on going after a few months. It seems like a perfect stress free no judgment zone. Babies can cry, you can BF, and it's all welcome : plus it would be great to get a group of moms and babies all go together.
  • My sister has gone to the one in another state but I think it's for the moms, not a social thing for older kids, although they are definitely welcome to go.  I think they all brought their young infants at the time and they slept during the movie, and it was a chance to go to a movie where you didn't have to worry if your baby was making a bunch of noise.  I think the lights were dimmed too and the sound was turned down a little as well.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yup, that's exactly right. It's a way for moms to get together in an infant friendly setting.
  • I haven't been, but if the movie is good next month, I plan to go to either Columbia or White Marsh, depending on which grandmother wants to watch my older two kids.

I know people take infants t regular movie showings, but I don't feel comfortable in case they disturb others, and also the volume is uncomfortably loud for me and I have hearing damage. I can't imagine how loud it must be to an infant.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"