Military Families

Policy for Induction at 37 Weeks b/c of Diabetes?

(XP from May 2013) I saw my new OB team today. (Had to change since we moved to California.) They said they will be inducing me at 37 weeks because I'm diabetic. I asked if they would consider my current health, etc., and then decide. They said nope, if you're diabetic, we induce at 37 weeks.I am going to fight this like the dickens. Unless I actually need it of course! But my A1C is PERFECT. Like, better than most non-diabetics. So if my baby isn't growing too fast at the end, and my placenta is healthy, I don't want to be induced for no reason other than a check in the box saying I'm diabetic. I'm working diligently and successfully to keep my diabetes under strict control, and I think that should be considered. If the baby's not too big, I think the benefits of avoiding early induction outweigh the risks.Anyone else being told they'll be induced early no matter what?I am scared to make the leap to Standard. I had a terrible experience with it the one time I tried it. But I think I'm going to to start calling around and seeing if I can find a civilian OB with a different attitude towards diabetic pregnancies. **ETA. He also made some really ignorant comments about diabetes, which makes me think he pre-judges, and doesn't actually think about the patient as an individual. :/ That does not make me happy at all.Anyone have any experience with these kinds of policies? 

Re: Policy for Induction at 37 Weeks b/c of Diabetes?

• I would switch ASAP. I don't like docs that think they have all the answers on a general scale and not a case by case basis. I switched to standard with my 2nd son because I didn't want to deliver at a naval hospital. I needed more care since I had preeclampsia. 

Anyway, I think standard is a pain in the arse but it can be worth it. I would definitely start finding a new OB. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Policy for who? The hospital? File a complaint with your patient advocate and you can refuse induction. They're not going to tie you to a bed and force it upon you. After filing your complaint, call Tricare and tell them you are not happy with the doctor and quality of care you are being provided and ask what your options are. You may be able to get referred out to another OB while still on Prime.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Loading the player...
  • I was high risk and diabetic and my OB suggested I consider having an induction around 39 weeks because of concern for the placenta BUT as long as my numbers were under control and my LO wasn't at risk, it was merely a suggestion.  I had to have an emergency induction at 37 weeks for preeclampsia, and even though my son is healthy and fine, I would have preferred to wait that extra two weeks if it had been medically feasible.  Long story short, I would request a new OB through Tricare and also speak with your hospital patient advocate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Switch providers immediately. This doctor sounds like an idiot. Standard can be confusing at first, but I've only evere had great experiences with it during both of my pregnancies. Is this doctor at a military hospital? If so, call the patient advocate and express your disappointment that their doctor is not following the ACOG guidelines for evaluating the needs of diabetic women in pregnancy. He's not practicing evidence-based medicine and that's just wrong. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thank you ladies for your feedback! It helps to know I'm not crazy to be concerned with his attitude. I'm going to make some phone calls, and see what options I have. I appreciate the responses!
  • I spoke with Tricare today and they said I could deliver at a civilian facility if I wanted to. I do see a military mid wife and I am gestionally diabetic, I have asked to be induced because I have history of 10 pound babies. Many won't induce you more then a week early without amino and I absolutely refused an amino.

• I would highly recommend talking to the chief of the OB dept about your care, it is not standard of care to induce before 39 weeks unless there is a reason.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• Go with your gut and RUN to a new dr. You know this guy is bad news. RUN!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"