July 2011 Moms
Options

Breaking nighttime bottle habit

My daughter is 18 months and for 1 week we have been trying to switch her night bottle to night time sippy cup. She does fine with a sippy during the day but at night wants nothing to do with it and she hands it back to us. If it is a bottle she drinks it all. Should I not worry about it? My thought is if she wants it she will drink it. Should I just get rid of all the bottles?

Also for those of you who do give milk before bed still when do you brush there teeth? 

Another question- what is your night time routine as far as do you give them the sippy in bed? or just when you are reading books? 

Re: Breaking nighttime bottle habit

• Options

We are trying to break the night time bottle routine too. We put water in the bottle and then transitioned to sippy. For before bed, we give milk in sippy and then brush teeth then sit in glider and read a story. I took all the bottles off the counter, including the bottle drying rack. The pediatrician told me yesterday to just go cold turkey during a time when his routine is steady and I don't have a lot of  things to do during the day because the nights might get rough for a while. Last night took him twenty minutes to get back down but he took the sippy.

• Options

We went cold turkey.

He was drinking plenty of milk during the day in his sippies, so the first few nights he barely drank any milk before bed, I didnt worry too much because he was getting enough milk.

We usually give him a sippy, while watching  "bubble guppies" then we brush his teeth, which works him up.  After, we read to him and rock him in the glider.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We just stopped cold turkey at 1, his Dr. said to rip off the band aid. We give a sippy on the change table during his diaper/ pjs time, and brush his teeth right after. After his teeth are brushed, then we do a story in the rocker, no milk. Good luck, hope the transition is smooth!

Eta: if she doesn't take the sippy at first I'd stick with it. After a night or two she should see this is now the option.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"