Preemies

The day I never thought would come...

...looks like it may arrive sooner than I expected!

Yesterday, ironically the day after I asked about when feeding tubes might start getting discussed, our team of residents have said they're planning to discharge the girls when they hit 40 weeks -- on Tuesday. Claire would come home on oxygen and a feeding tube, and Paige may also need a feeding tube, as well. Thankfully, the feeding tubes are just the NG tubes...which they'll teach us to use -- nothing surgical required (whew!). Our NICU has started sending babies home with the NG tubes in select cases, apparently. And, since we've been in the bottle training holding pattern for 3-4 weeks already, and the girls haven't needed medical intervention in weeks -- they feel comfortable sending them home -- where we'll continue to work on bottle feeding.

I'm not at all intimidated by the feeding tubes, but what does intimidate me is how Paige still chokes and stops breathing during bottle feeding -- however, no matter how many times she's done it over the past month, they've never had to use oxygen on her. And, the frequency and severity of her choking episodes are lessening -- so hopefully we're getting close to those ending. I'm getting less freaked out about it when she does it with me -- but, again, not having the monitors to really help me know where she is will be infinitely tougher.

We had a number of conversations about the reflux, and the doctors, as expected, take a very conservative approach to treatment for preemies -- particularly since the feeding tube makes it worse, and they've both shown that their reflux is improving....if only ever so slightly. So, we just need to give it more time -- and once they're done with the feeding tubes, that, too, should help. We'll see how that goes in the coming weeks, and open the conversation with our pediatrician next week, as well.

Wow. Excited and scared to death. As draining as being in the NICU day-in and day-out has been, it's certainly provided the ultimate new-parent safety net! Oh, man, we're certainly in final preparations mode now! :)

TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: The day I never thought would come...

• That is so exciting!
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • That's wonderful! Coming home day is both wonderful and terrifying. DD came home on oxygen and a monitor, but we were still scared of leaving the safety of the NICU.

In one sense, it helped us to remember that NICU parents get something most new parents don't: we get to meet and get to know our babies before having to have full-time care of them. We got to kind of slide into parenting.

Congrats on the big day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations!!!
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
  • thats great!   Im so happy for you!  I hope the girls make quick progress and you can get rid of those NG tubes quickly at home.  

Like I said in your previous post.  I had a severe choker and it was scary but in some ways I found it easier to be home without the monitors.  I KNEW her and her habits and knew what her coloring, breathing, eyes etc all looked like during a normal choke and recovery.  We just had to be super awake and alert and have all the lights on during her feeds to be sure that we could watch her closely.  

Good luck!  You will do great 

mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• I'm late on this, but congrats!!  We are in Cincinnati too - our little guy was born last March at 32 weeks.  So happy for you and your little family to be able to go home!!  Enjoy :)

My Ovulation Chart 50 mg Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI #1: BFN... 50 mg Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI #2: BFN... 50 mg Clomid/IUI #3: BFP!! Due May, 2012 :) So happy to welcome our little boy, born at 32 weeks and 3 days! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So exciting! I remember they let me carry her out in the car seat and the nurse carried her monitor, I practically ran I was so excited. I started the panicky scared mode in the car, I must have checked her a dozen times on the road and it took almost a month for me to get comfortable with her at home enough to sleep. That was probably the most exciting and frightening time for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's so exciting!!! I know for me the choking was the scariest part when feeding at home. However each successful feed gave both of us more confidence. You can do this! Congrats!
    4/13/12--1st u/s. IDENTICAL TRIPLETS (?!?) PAIF and SAIF welcome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"