VBAC
Options

VBAC after HELLP Syndrome?

Hey - first time poster here.

I had emergency CS at 34w2d due to HELLP Syndrome (which came out of no where - pregnancy had been problem free. Went to ER due to pain and had CS right then and there.) almost 7 weeks ago. I had planned a natural delivery, so had done no research on CS and therefore obviously know nothing about VBAC.

TTC #2 is down the road a ways yet, but was wanting to read up on VBAC. Has anyone had a successful VBAC after HELLP Syndrome, Toxemia, or Pre-Eclampsia?

Thanks!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: VBAC after HELLP Syndrome?

• Options

That sounds just like my story....I was planning a natural birth center birth...had to have biweekly NSTs due to DDs small size ( other than that totally healthy pregnancy) & told the nurse about my pain. Luckily she was concerned enough to press to dr to do blood work. The noticed all the signs of Hellp and I was crashing so fast I had to have an emergency csection that night at 36 weeks. I too hope to have a natural vbac (although will have to be in hospital next time) we plan to ttc again when DD is almost a year.  Would love to see the responses you get.  I def planned on posting the same type of question on the natural birth board closer to ttc.

I studied hypnobabies the first time around and plan to do so again, they have a vbac script too. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I also had a c/s at 34w1d due to HELLP with DD. I'm now 34w3d (yay!!) with LO2 and Plan A is for me to have a VBAC. I had a long conversation with an MFM at the hospital around 23ish weeks, and he said that if I got HELLP again that I would have another c/s because it's standard of care in Germany (where I live) not to induce seriously ill women, and HELLP is considered a serious illness. But he said that as long as I don't get HELLP or develop other complications (breech, etc) there's no reason I can't have a VBAC. I had a low transverse incision, though, and that makes a big difference. With your emergency c/s did you need a vertical incision? I'm pretty sure VBACs are pretty much a no-go after a vertical.

So far things are looking great, and my OB says he highly doubts I'm going to get HELLP this time around. It looks like my VBAC will be a go. Now I'm just freaking out because this LO's head is measuring 3 weeks ahead, above the 98th percentile... maybe a RCS isn't so bad after all ;-)

Seriously, though, I wish you the best of luck and think you really just need to find a provider who will support you. The best indication of that would be not just what they say, but also recommendations from friends who have had VBACs with that doctor.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you ladies for your responses!

Kelly - Did you have to have more frequent appointments/ultrasounds with this pregnancy? My dr told me I'd be considered high-risk for next pregnancy, but I'm not sure what all that entails. I didn't need a vertical incision; I have a horizontal one about  3-4 inches long.

Good luck to you with this pregnancy! Congrats on getting this far! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"