Toddlers: 24 Months+

Would you let your 3 year old sleep in loft bed?

I am thinking of getting my son one of those low loft beds- like the Ikea Kura bed.  It has rails so I am not worried about him falling out.  He is pretty mature and listens and even in his toddler bed now he does not get out on own and calls us to get him.  Am I crazy to consider putting him in a loft at 3?  I know accidents happen....
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you let your 3 year old sleep in loft bed?

• we're thinking of getting my daughter one, too. i am, but DH is a bit skeptical still. :)
    click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our bedrooms are so small and I love the idea of making playspace under the bed....  I think it would be a perfect spot for one of his trainsets out of the way....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, I wouldn't do it yet. I love that bed and considered getting it for DD1's room for the same reason - the playspace underneath - but I just don't think it's a good idea before 4-5 years old at least. We just bought DD1 bunk beds and she'll be sleeping on the lower bunk for several years before I'm okay letting her up on top.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wouldn't chance it with my 3 year old. He's too unpredictable! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our parents would have put us in one, but not sure how I feel about that. DH definitely wants to put DDs together in one room, and we have even let DD1 play in the bunks beds from Ikea, and she loved them. But I had to help her down, and I can just see her deciding that she is going to be a big girl and help herself down, and a trip to the ER ... I think it really depends on how coordinated your child is. DD1 can do somersaults, but I don't think I want her doing one off her bed.
  • Well, I fell out of my bunkbed when I was six and fractured my neck--so no--I remember it way too vividly!  I do think 3 is a bit young, but man do I love that Kura bed!  Why not go ahead and buy it and use it the upside-down way for now? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have 2 DD's and we have a low loft bed for DD1 (now 4) and DD2's (almost 3) toddler bed fits right under it.  However, most night the girls have a "sleepover" in DD1's bed. We made sure to get the "angled" ladder that is easier to climb up and down, and neither of them have  a problem with it.  They have been this way since for a little over 6 months.

I do think you need to consider your child's temperament though, if I had a crazy daring 3 year old I might think twice (not saying your child is).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • My 3 yr old is in a bunk bed with his 23 month old brother is in the bottom. They are very crazy wild boys and they do great. My youngest climbs the ladder and plays on the top with his brother all the time. My oldest does great sleeping up on the top. I would say you should have no problem with him sleeping in a loft bed.

• I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 3 yo in a loft bed. We did buy bunk beds for DD1 when she turned 4, but she slept on the bottom bunk probably until she was close to 5 years.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • We are going to. I think it depends on the three year old really. I know they have the generic ages but only you know your child best. You can follow the recommendations and wait until 6+ and an accident can still happen.

• Ds has been sleeping in a loft bed my Dh built him since he turned two.  We have had no issues, though we had to emphasize at first that we don't stand up by the railing.  He loves sleeping in it.  I would totally recommend it. 

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"