Georgia Babies

Need advice about toddler giving up nap please

Cason is almost 3 1/2 now and has stopped napping at least half the time we put him down in the afternoon. When he doesn't nap, he usually falls asleep shortly after his 8pm bedtime.

The days he does nap, even if we only cut it down to one hour, it literally takes him 1 to 1/12 hours to fall asleep at night. I thought it might just be a phase, but it has continued. Would you just stop napping altogether? I hate him staying up so late at night because he has to be up by 7am in the mornings. Thanks for your advice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need advice about toddler giving up nap please

• He is 3 1/2 so try a "quiet hour".  That way you get a break and more than likely he will read of play quietly in his room instead of napping and ruining bed time.
  • Gavin is almost 5 and still has rest time.  Some days he naps and some days he plays quietly in his room.  It is non-negotiable.  I will also let him lay in my bed and watch a movie on the weekend but he has to stay in the bed or else we turn it off and he goes to his room.  More often than not, he falls asleep in my bed.  Ours is longer than 1 hour... rest time is usually at least 2 hours.  Also, 3.5 is when we moved Gavin's bedtime up from 8 pm to 7:30 pm- we actually start brushing teeth/bath/story time at 7 pm so that the lights are off by 7:30.  I really hated doing that b/c it felt like I hardly got any time with the kids in the evenings after daycare/work- we don't usually get to pick them up until 5:30 or 6 pm.  But we saw a DRAMATIC change in behavior with that simple switch.  Now he gets up easier in the mornings, he's more cooperative, and overall he's just happier.  His teachers even know when he goes to bed too late b/c he'll be cranky the next day.

• Loading the player...
  • We do quiet time - the big boys can sleep or just lay in bed but they have to stay in their room and be quiet for the 2 hours. Most of the time Bailey only sleeps an hour or so. For him it doesn't matter if he sleeps or doesn't sleep at nap time, it takes him 30min to an hour to go to sleep most nights. He just rolls around in his bed and plays with his stuffed animals. I don't really care as long as he's quiet. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I came on here to ask about the same thing!  Thank you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"