Military Families
Options

post partum help

I'm 33 weeks pregnant with our first and I'm starting to think about post partum help, there's a chance that DH will be in and out for work ups on his ship(this is a change, he was supposed to be in port for a while but they of course pushed things up), and my family is in another state. I have my next door neighbor but other than that not a lot of close friends here, I'm really afraid that I wont be able to handle it on my own. We are on a tight budget and don't have the money to hire any help, does anyone have any advice?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: post partum help

• Options
    I don't know how other branches work, but USMC has New Parent Support, and they are the place to go for looking into resources available. I will say that you need to give yourself more credit. It will be stressful, but I'm sure you can do it. It is nice to have help, and sometimes it is necessary. But,overall, you'll be fine. Good luck.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I know Navy and Army also have new parent support groups. (I delivered at an Army hospital and they had one, and I went to the Navy/Marine Corps Relief Society for a class and found out they have one.) I think they will send someone to your house if you want it.

Some areas also have a parent line you can call, and I remember finding some groups that have 1-800 numbers that you can call. (I found them late one night when googling something like, "Why won't my baby stop crying?!") I didn't ever call, but they are out there. I don't remember any specific ones.

Make sure to take care of yourself - even a five minute shower a day can make a huge difference. Think of things that will make things easier - freeze meals before baby comes, use paper plates (so you don't have to do dishes), stock up on your basic necessities (food, toilet paper, hygiene things) so you won't have to make unnecessary store trips, and the ones you do make can be shorter. Do what you can now to make things easier later.

Also, if there are parenting classes on base, go to a couple of those and see if you can meet some other new parents so you'll have someone to talk to. I met a couple of moms-to-be (who were due 4-5 months before me) at a spouse function for DH's unit, and they were such a big help just being available to talk. If people offer to help, take them up on their offer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Check into postpartum doulas! A doula is also a 'birth assistant/support', but some do postpartum care and support. They're also a great resource for breastfeeding, etc. Google local ones near you, or DONA International has good info on their website. Some doulas, especially students, will do it for a reduced or free fee, especially for military. Good luck! :
  • Options

Did you take the Budgeting For Baby class the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS) offers?  If not, I suggest taking it for all the great info you get out of it, including baby's first sea bag loaded with stuff.  But the main reason I ask is that most (if not all) of NMCRS locations have visiting nurses that you can sign up for free of charge.  I can't remember if they are free because Tricare provides them or NMCRS, but I'm leaning towards the latter.  They will come to your house about once a week to check on you and the baby and his/her progress and growth, and can be a great resource to a new mom.

I ditto all the other posters' ideas too.  Does your FRG have a page where you can try and meet up with other new moms?  Or your base may have a Facebook page for spouses that you can find some.  There is an unofficial page for spouses at this base and people are constantly posting about play dates and meeting other moms with kids their age.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"