School-Aged Children

How do you discipline....

a child that is showing disrespect to adults.  My DD is 5 and lately she has been a little disrepectful.  For example, yesterday(Sunday) I was being rather lazy(reading the paper and watching tv), and she asked me to do something for her that she could have done by herself(She has done it 1000's of time).  I told her she should try to do it herself first and then I would help her and she called me, "Lazybones, all you do is lay around".  I told her that she may not call me that and she stoped but a little while later she disrespected me again.  How should I handle this should I warn her first then time-out each time she does it, or everytime she does it after the first warning she gets a time-out.  I do not want my child to run the roost, but I also want her to understand why she is sitting. 

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How do you discipline....

• I'm pretty stern when it comes to this kind of sass.

I would turn it back on her in this situation by saying, "Hey, you're the one who is asking ME to do a favor for you.  Doesn't that make YOU the lazybones??  Insulting people to try to get them to do something that's a favor for you is disrespectful.  You're better than that.  Either do it yourself or ask me more nicely." 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • When DD is disrespectful, I send her to her room for a while; sometimes it's a set amount of time and other times its up to her. I always tell her it's because if she isn't going to be polite around people, she can be by herself until she's ready to be nice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • With DS, I'll send him for a time out.  I tell that's rude and you don't talk to people like that.  When he's done in his time out, we always have a conversation about how we talk to people, and I will have him ask in a different way.  I know kids can be disrespectful...I try and teach DS what to ask and how to ask nicely, instead of just scolding them all the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS I'll give him my "look" or say "Excuse me?" and most of the time, he'll apologize and/or rephrase.

I've only been in SD's life for about 2 years, so she's not quite used to my parenting style. SD will use baby talk from time to time. It drives me nuts! The 1st time, I remind her that she's 9 and a big girl and tell her that I would like her to talk like it. The 2nd time, I'll prompt her with a, "How are you supposed to ask?" After that I'll just stare at her (not answering) until about the 3rd time she repeats herself, when she clues in. When she's being disrespectful, I do sort of the same thing. I'll clue her in on the behavior, then give her a warning, and then I'll ignore it. She's the type who will repeat the same thing over and over until she gets a response. She's picking up on my "look" however!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"