Preemies

when did your preemie hold their own bottle?

Having twins and another I think we screwed ourselves by bottle propping. The boys show no interest in holding their own bottles now, if we try to hold their hands on them they pull away. When we're feeding them solids they pretty much put their hands behind their back as not to get them in the way of food going in their mouths (ok that part is actually kind of funny and cute). 

DD was holding her own bottle by their age (I think) and I'm wondering how far we held them back by propping. We are trying not to do it but sometimes it's prop (never un supervised though) or having one scream bloody murder while you feed the other. I'm wondering if most preemies do that skill according to adjusted age or real age. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: when did your preemie hold their own bottle?

• I don't prop my bottles (since I only have 1), but Adalyn still isn't holding her own bottle.  She really doesn't show any interest in it and she is 11 months actual (7.5 adjusted).  She eats and picks up food (cheerios, puffs, small pieces of meat, etc), so I don't quite know why she doesn't want to hold the bottle.
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Our boys never held their own bottles and we didn't bottle prop.  They went to sippies at 1 year and held those, but never held a bottle no matter how many times I put their hands on them.

• Loading the player...
  • DD was about a year old when she finally started holding her own bottle. I wouldn't worry about it :-)

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• DD still does not hold her own bottle she is 13 months old, but I never really tried to teach her how.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My DD is almost 10 months and still doesn't really hold her bottle up by herself. She likes to touch it when I'm feeding her, but she definitely doesn't hold it up.

• Kieran never really held his bottle, although he had low upper body strength.  He didn't crawl until 14 months so I think he just didn't have the strength to hold the bottle himself.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My two do not hold their bottles either. DD will pick it up and put the bottle to her mouth but if I go to try to pick it up slightly she drops the bottle like a hot potato. Both will eat puffs, cheerios, and mum mums on their own but won't take their bottle. It's frustrating sometimes.
    ttc #1 since 7/10 Dx - PCOS and LPD chemical pregnancy 6/11 IUI #1 9/5 & 9/6 9/19 - BFP, beta #1 149 (15 dpo), beta #1 (17 dpo) 370 1st ultrasound 5 w 6 days -- TWINS!!! It's a boy and a girl! Born April 15, 2012. Baby A - 4 lbs 11 ounces, Baby B - 5 lbs 6 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"