Nebraska Babies

Teachers

The Omaha board on the Nest is dead, so I thought I'd check here.  I live in Chicago, but my in-laws live in Omaha and are getting on in years. We are considering moving to be closer to them. 

I am a public school teacher and am wondering if someone can give me a read on the environment/expectations in Omaha.  You may have heard that CPS teachers had to strike this year over school safety, building maintenance, overcrowding, paraprofessionals, school counselors, evaluation practices, benefits, pay, etc... 

What is the atmosphere like in Omaha?  Is there a union? 

How do people generally feel about the Board of Ed?  Are there any major budget/funding problems?  School closures? Turnarounds?

What is the job market like?

Thanks!

Re: Teachers

• Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hello!

I am not a teacher, but I can maybe help you.  There are numerous school districts in the Omaha area, so you?ll probably want to check them out individually.  My mom works for Millard Public School as a Para and I attended MPS as a student. She loves working there and from what I understand MPS teachers are paid better than Omaha Public Schools (which is the largest school district).  Their benefits are good as well, with free health insurance for all teachers. I have never heard her complain about overcrowding or striking.

The job market in Omaha is strong.  I can?t specifically say how the education job market is doing, but I can safely say the finance job market is prospering.

st1:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
  • Thanks so much for the info!
  • Loading the player...
  • Like PP said Millard public does pay more, but I'm not sure if the teachers union in our area is applicable to Millard teachers.
    The job market is very competetive as the college here just opened a new College of Education wing, so if you were to job hunt it would be important to start building some connections out here or have some strong refrences under your belt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"