Georgia Babies

Those delivering at Northside

My son arrived 12/14. I still loved delivering at Northside but I wanted to share just a few things I noticed had changed since the last time I was there (2.5 years ago). Nothing is surprising - just helpful to know for second (or more!) time moms.
  • They do not load you up with freebies like they did during my first delivery. It seems as though you need to ask for more things, rather than them automatically restocking your bassinet. We are breastfeeding and therefore they did not give us any formula samples unless we asked for them and then they said, are you sure you want them? I am very grateful BF is going well but I wanted some for backup. We also had to ask for diapers when we ran out.

• The lactation consulting department is MUCH slower. We may have been there during a busy period but it took forever to get a lactation consultant. We only were able to see someone twice over the 4-5 days I was there and the nursing staff 'ordered' a consultant before I even delivered. One day they showed up at 4;30 am - complete waste of time as I was SOOO tired at that time and did not retain anything. I had been up at that point for about 35 hours straight. The only other time they showed up was at 11:30 pm.

• If you have a csection, after 48 hours they will only give you pain meds if you specifically ask for them. Now, I tried to limit my medication as much as possible for many reasons. In fact, throughout my entire stay I took the lowest dose possible and only took them 2 days after I got home. I did find it irritating to get 'questioned' if I wanted one dose or even a half of dose (which they won't do). There was just one nurse who gave me a hard time but she was almost out of line.

• If you have a csection, the doctors seem very flexible in accomodating wishes you may have. I had a failed VBAC and they had no problem with not strapping my arms down during surgery. That really bothered me the first time around.

• They still have the menu book at the nurse's station. It lists all the places that deliver food nearby. I was so glad not to eat hospital food and it was nice my hubbie could eat with me.
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Those delivering at Northside

• Sorry to hear your experience at Northside wasn't as positive this time. I had my second baby at Northside in September and did not have those same issues, except for having to ask for more diapers when we ran low. 

When it came to the pain meds, I was actually having a really bad reaction to the pain meds that was causing severe itching. I preferred the pain to the itching. They went out of their way to find a different medicine that did not cause that problem.

I actually saw the LC earlier this time. But, I think it has always been that way... that you never know when you are actually going to get to see an LC. After my first delivery, I had that same super late night visit from an LC. This time, they came each day that I was there. They were also really quick to get me a pump after my LO was moved into NICU. 

As for the formula samples, I am guessing they are given to the hospital by the formula companies. Maybe the formula companies aren't as generous as they used to be and in turn the hospital tends to only give them to those that are formula feeding. Of course, that is just a guess.. I don't really know. As for the rest of the freebies.. it's not really a free for all. Just saying. 

My arms were not strapped down for this c-section. I can't remember if they were for my first one, but I don't remember anything like that. 

And dang. I wish I had known about the menu book! I know that my DH was sick of eating in the cafeteria, and I thought the food definitely sucked more this time around. Things were much more hectic with a toddler this time around, I wish we had thought of ordering food for delivery!

Congrats on your new little one! I hope things are going well and everyone is adjusting. 

• I noticed the few supplies and no formula back in June when I had Preston. It was way different then when I had Bailey 3 years ago and slightly different then with Bryce. With Bailey and Bryce, the nurse loaded me up with diapers, formula, other supplies before I left. With Preston, I had to ask for stuff a lot. One time we had to go to the nurses station to get wipes. 

In June, I felt they were way more pushing the breastfeeding then they were the other two times especially back when I had Bailey. It also took forever for the LCs this time for me too. I finally gave up and just made an appointment with the LCs at Piedmont Peds that are there on wednesdays. Much better!

I think the pain meds are more nursing issues and how busy the hospital is. I had a horrible time after my middle with getting my meds. I'd have to call them several times then they would try to double up doses and it was just a mess. This time with Preston I kept a record of when I took stuff and made sure I called them a few minutes before the time limit was up to tell them I wanted them. It worked better this time. 

The c/s recovery area is way nicer now too. Glad they got rid of the big room with curtains and you have more of a private area. When I was there I was the only one in recovery.  

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • What a bummer you didn't have the same experience.  Honestly with both deliveries and both being c-sections, there was good and bad.  I did ask for LC and they came very shortly after I requested the consult and we had no issues with formula, however DH did stash what they gave us in our bags - of course with the intent to give us more, but honestly wasn't that big of a deal since I was working harder to breastfeed the 2nd time.  With regards to the pain meds, I think it totally depends on the nurse, as crazy as that sounds.  I had some that were basically like "keep in the regimen" and others that they would ask how my pain was, and if I didn't ask then they really wouldn't push it.  Even though I really should have since I seemed to have more pain the 2nd time. 

And darn it about the menu book! We totally forgot about that!!!!!  Oh well!  I'm doubtful we will be making visits to L & D again!

• Well I delivered there in Oct 2010 and your experience sounds about the same as mine.  I must have just had low expectations because none of that bothered me.  Especially not the food.  My husband was never there with me because he was entertaining his parents so I just ate whatever they gave me and it was fine.  Hate to hear about the formula though as I expect breastfeeding to be as much as a disaster as it was for me last time.  I really rely on those formula samples.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What was your experience having a toddler with you? Or I guess a better question is do you know their policy on having children in the room with you after delivery? I will be delivering there in late Feb/early March and we are still trying to decide what to do with our almost 3 year old son when the time comes. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Pregnancy Ticker image
  • I delivered in Sept.and did not see the things you did, itwas about the same, with exception that they did not shove me with formula when my LO was hungry, and did not give paci. We did ask for supplies when checking out.. didn't have a problem before. BAD thing was that I had to wait 4 hours after C to get a room. LC came the same night, but around midnight, but she was awesome. I got hooked on to pump unlike last time they never brought up a pump.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"