December 2010 Moms
Options

dinner time with a toddler

M has graduated from the highchair, and he no longer uses a booster seat anymore, either. He has a little table (his size) that he eats at sometimes and other times he just sits in a regular chair at the dining room table. However, I have trouble keeping him put! He wants to eat something, then jump down and go check something out, play, etc., then return. I know it sounds like a discipline issue, but I really have tried to keep him put during dinner. 

Any tips other than repetition, strapping him down (he throws a fit and tries to climb out anyways (which rocks the chair and makes me nervous that he'll tip it), etc.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: dinner time with a toddler

• Options

B's in a booster with straps still, precisely because I'm afraid of what you're experiencing. But B tolerates the booster - I'm not sure I'd keep him in it if he was flailing and rocking it about.

I think working on the idea that dinner is over if you get up from the table is a good one.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options
    J just sits on his knees and eats. If he gets down, supper is over for him. Sometimes he tries to take his cup to the living room but he can only have it at the dinner table we are having issues with every cup we own leaking for some reason. I'll be so glad when the sippy cup stage is over! it's really hard here because he thinks he has to do whatever Molly is doing dog so if she's runnin around, he gets down and starts running around.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Maybe check and see what they do at daycare?  I assume they don't let them play during lunch.  That way you could use the same "reasoning"

image   image

• Options

C's highchair converts a regular seat and we've had it like that for a while.  We do tell him to let mom/dad help him get down b/c we had been letting him do it himself but that changed when he bit through his tongue two weeks ago getting down.  Tongue Tied

But anyway, he still can and does sometimes.  He's allowed his cup (usually an open cup) outside of his seat (b/c we do ourselves) but if he wants food, he must sit in his seat.  He normally gets down and wants to sit in DH's lap while we finish.  Occasionally he'll ask to eat more but we tell him he has to go back and sit down in his seat first.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Evan did this and we just made it so that when he got up dinner was over for him. It only took a few times for him to figure it out.
  • Options

LO sat in a booster for a while but when she moved to a big girl chair at DC (age 2), she regressed and wanted to go back in our high chair! I am actually thrilled with it because she actually stays put!

I agree that dinner's over when they leave the table and also be sure there's no snacking or milk for a reasonable time before hand so LO is really hungry when they sit down. I am so guilty of ruining LOs dinner because she wants a snack before we're ready to sit down as a family!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"