Birth Stories

Nitrous oxide during pregnancy as pain relief

Any experience with this? I'm thinking of asking my midwife about it, not sure what she'll say/think, but would like to hear if you think it was effective/ineffective for you
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nitrous oxide during pregnancy as pain relief

• Totally ineffective for pain relief, made me super loopy and hallucinate. I also don't remember anything I said either, which dh says is a good thing. I have heard it does work for some people, but not me!
  • Is that even safe during pregnancy?
  • Loading the player...
  • It's commonly used in labor throughout the UK (we call it "gas and air", as it's half oxygen, half nitrous oxide). I've heard it's more helpful in the early stages of labor and doesn't do much towards the end. Some have said it's helpful as a distraction rather than actually relieving pain. It doesn't enter the bloodstream and is considered completely safe in labor. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagemommytoconnor:
    Is that even safe during pregnancy?
    it's common here as well, and pp is totally correct. It works well for some people, and not at all for others.
  • I've never herd of it for pain relief, Just to knock you out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We use it at work (I work in a dental office) and it doesn't do anything for pain, it just reduces your anxiety. It's like having a couple glasses of wine - you know what's going on, but you kind of don't care :)

photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't opt to have it at the dentist because of the previously described loopiness and not remembering conversations. Therefore, I would never think to ask for it during labor. This will be an experience I want to remember. Of course, it may not affect others that way. Everyone is different. I've never heard of it being used here in the US; mostly Nubain or Demerol here. I'm sure it is used, it just depends on the doctor.
    Forgiveness sets YOU free!
  • I used it with DD1.

The first time I tried it I inhaled WAY too much and it helped with the pain but felt nauseous and dizzy. So my MW turned the mix down (they could adjust the nitrous/oxygen mix at the hospital I was in). Then I tried it again and it did nothing for me.

Later when we tried it again, with it turned up again, it was good, and I used it all through pushing.

My MW talked me through the breathing technique which from memory was inhale and count to 3 as the contraction builds then take the gas away and breathe on your own. 

The good thing about it, is the effects don't last long at all. So you can try it and if it makes you feel sick or out of it, then you can just stop using it, and the sensation will pass quickly.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"