Preemies

March 2013 FTM expecting preemie (UPDATE)

Hello all!

I am an avid lurker in need of support and advice.

Around noon on yesterday my water began to leak. By the time I reached labor and delivery I was gushing fluid. I was having mild contractions and my baby boy's heartbeat was dipping with each one. After long night of this and receiving IV fluids and a steroid shot, it seems that the contractions have slowed tremendously. The doctors have decided that since I do not seem to be in active labor, that they will now keep me on bed rest at the hospital. Their hope is that LO will remain in utero until he reaches 34 weeks; I am currently 28. Thankfully he is measuring almost 31 weeks and weights a little over 3lbs.

The doctors and the NICU team seem to be very positive about his outcome, and so am I. I guess I am just looking for some support and advice to get through this situation full of unknowns. I have heard that this is a great board to come to for help, and I look forward to being a part of that.

Thanks! 

****Well, my little Myles decided to make his debut January 6, 2013 at 8:10 pm. He weighed exactly 3 lbs and was 14 3/4 in long. He is doing wonderfully well! He has been taken off of oxygen and the CPAP machine and is maintaining his vitals on his own. His doctors say he just needs to gain weight! I am feeling so incredibly blessed and honored to be his mother. I know we still have a journey ahead of us but I am believing nothing but positive things are to come. Thank you so very much for all the well wishes and prayers. 

Re: March 2013 FTM expecting preemie (UPDATE)

• Welcome to the board, you've come to the right place!  

It is good to hear your prognosis is good, and good that you're getting the steroid shots...I had just under a week's notice before the doctors decided to deliver my son early at 32 weeks and was luckily able to get the shots, and it made an enormous difference...he did not need any breathing assistance whatsoever while in the NICU.  And the fact that your LO is measuring 3 weeks ahead is great (I was the opposite - measuring 3 weeks behind)!  

I hope your LO stays put for as long as possible!  Please keep us posted on your situation!   

IMG_0293

Mr. & Mrs. 10/2/10 | Dx w/PCOS March 2011
    BFP - 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks 
    BFP - 1/07/14 | EDD 9/20/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm sorry that you're facing this, but welcome to the board! The ladies here are very supportive and helpful.  I'm glad to hear that the doctors feel positive about your particular situation and that your son is measuring ahead and not behind.  I was on hospital bedrest for 24 days before I had my preemie.  Check out the high-risk board also for support for being on bedrest. 

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry to hear about your situation but it sure sounds like you are in good hands right now.  My twins arrived at 28w4d and came home after a 10 week NICU stay.  It was really hard but overall they've done very well for their gestational age at birth.  Your little man has a great advantage if he is measuring ahead in size.  I spent 4.5 weeks on hospital bed rest myself.  The first few days and week were really hard on me but it got a little easier as I settled into a routine.I would recommend to start preparing yourself by learning about preemies, talking to the neonatolgists, visiting the NICU, etc.  Rember every day pregnant is a celebration so you really do have to just take it one day at time.  I kept a little "count up" on my white board and was always happy and excited each day and week I got farther along.  Hoping he can stay put until 34 weeks, lots of luck to you!
  • This is similar to what happened to me. My water started to leak at 32w3d. In the hospital, they tried to stop contractions and were hoping to keep me pregnant on hospital bedrest until 34w. It didn't work. He came that day! It sounds like they are getting your contractions under control, though, so your prognosis is way better! I hope they are able to keep him in there for a few more weeks. He sounds big, and that's wonderful! Good luck!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• You're in good hands now!  Just keep busy (hard to do I know!) with books, TV, Internet, phone calls to friends and keep positive.  Every day you will wonder "is today the day?" and it will stress you out -- but try not to do that.  Relax and think of it as alone time before the baby arrives -- otherwise the waiting will drive you crazy.  I had the same thing happen at 30 weeks (water broke) and DD was able to stay in for another week.  For that one week, I just tried to relax and keep busy and as it turns out she was 97 percentile for weight and came out at 4lbs 9 oz -- sounds like your LO will be big too! Once you get a tour of the NICU you realize quickly that a preemie over 3 pounds is a giant.  Your DS may stay in for another week or 4 weeks, each baby is different, but again -- the key is to relax and everything will be great! Don't worry :)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oh and make sure someone brings you in your personal items (slippers, bathrobe, make-up, shampoos, magazines, etc).  You may think "why would I need make-up?" -- But I found it nice to look at little pretty.  Also, if you you find yourself with nothing to do, watch an old TV show all over again -- I watched the entire season of Felicity (LOL) and Sex and the City episodes on Netflix -- took my mind of of the "waiting".....
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Lynne...I'm not sure if you recognize me from the March board but I delivered my little man 9 days ago 26 w 5 days. He weighed 1lb 12oz. He is doing well in the NICU but we know we have a long journey ahead. It is encouraging that maybe your LO is a little more mature and the extra weeks you have kept LO in are VERY helpful. I just wanted to say hi and be sure you knew that you are not in this alone! If you need to chat privately just send me a message.
    TP!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Welcome!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 28 weeks is a great week to get to. Any time bed rest gets hard focus on your baby. Have people bringing magazines, word crosses, books, DVDs, and anything else you might find interesting. You will want a variety of things to do to switch things up a bit.
    image Our 25 week miracles! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageCurlingRocks:

I pPROMed at 28 weeks as well (already hospitalized for 3 weeks at that point), and I managed to stave off labor for 3 more weeks.  Try to stay positive!  Your LO sounds like a fighter, and I know from your post that you are as well.  And keep drinking those fluids!Cool

Comeback any time for support!  Welcome!

My story is similar to this.  I pPROMed at 29w2d and I made it to 33w3d before going into labor. It IS possible!  I delivered my twins at 33w4d, and both came out breathing room air.  They were in the NICU for 23 days just as feeders and growers. 

Good luck! 

Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • Congratulations on the birth of your son. Praying for both of you! Please keep us posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"