January 2012 Moms
Options

Big Party? Little Party?

Wondering what everyone is doing for baby's first? We're just doing a very small party in our home with family and a handful of friends. Maybe I'll get it together and have a big party next year, but this year I just couldn't swing it.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Big Party? Little Party?

• Options

small.

we have a tiny house with a fairly good sized property. DS1 was born in June, so we were able to host a number of family and friends outdoors and have a great time. But DS2 is, obviously, in January and we don't really have that option (where we live it could be totally beautiful and warm, but it could just as easily be chilly, windy or raining).

I feel really bad that we won't be doing things equally but I guess the little guy doesn't care. First birthday parties are all for the adults anyway... I still feel bad.

• Options
    Small.  We are having grandparents over for supper and then the 2 siblings that live close and a cousin who lives close for dessert.  In total 19 people for dessert and 9 for supper.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Well. DD#1 was born in July 2010.  She has a MONSTER of a 1st birthday party.  I'm talking 100 guests outside at a park with a taco truck and all kinds of ridiculousness.  

DD#2 being a January baby can't have an outdoor birthday party (we live in Chicago).  So I was so excited to be able to tone down the party.  We booked at an indoor play place at a park district.  It only holds 32 people.  I was so happy.  EXCEPT we over invited people HOPING some people wouldn't be able to make it.  

NOPE.  EVERY freaking person is coming.  Seriously i'm screwed.  We have about 45 people attending.  I am in blatant violation of the birthday party rules.  I just called the location now to see if we can book an extra room.

We tried SO hard to keep our list small but we just have a lot of close friends with kids.  We don't even have big families.  We suck.  

• Options

We are doing a small party. I don't want it to be overwhelming for us and especially not DD. We'll have it at our house, just immediate family and a few close friends.

• Options
    I'm in Chicago too and live across the street from a beautiful park where I always see birthday parties in the summer. That's the only bummer about LOs January birthday.
  • Options
    Ours turned out pretty big, but we kept it simple. Ordered pizza, I made the cupcakes, fruit and veggie trays, cheese and crackers, and hot chocolate. But we have a lot of friends from church, and some out of state family came. We ended up having 50 people including 16 kids RSVP to the party. At the last minute a handful got sick and couldn't come. We missed them but since our house isn't very big it all worked out :

ETA: we will have smaller parties from here on out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
  • Options
    Small and simple. 16 people at our house. More were invited but a snowstorm interfered. I made a champagne punch, my sister made the cakes and DH made shrimp dip and a veggie platter. There were no decorations other than the 1 candle.

It was all I could handle. We had just moved, then I was out Of town for work for 2 weeks, and got home just before the holidays. His birthday felt like the last leg of a marathon. I just had to get through it.
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member
    We had just a small party at the house with just family. About 10 of the guests were out of town guests but half of them came down with the flu so none of them made it since they were traveling together. There was about 15 people and I made a bunch of apps, pulled pork and dessert. It was just enough.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options

We just had ours on Sunday at our house. We had 26 people (family and friends) and had a local sandwich shop cater it with sandwiches and chips. We had beer, wine, soda, and of course, a cake for DD.

We just hung out and socialized since DD was one of two babies there. It was really more of a party for us. I did, however, go nuts with Sesame Street decorations. Maeve spent about half the party "talking" to the tablecloth with the characters on it. My heart melts...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We had 15. It was really nice. Not over stressful in planning, prep, or execution. Plus, they aren't actually going to remember it!! its entirely just for the adults.

• Options

21 people here.  We just got family together to open gifts and eat cake.

I bought a large cake for all the guests and a small 6" cake for my daughter to smash and eat.  I also made her a felt crown, tutu, and a "1" shirt to wear. 

Our party was only family.  I think if we had invited friends our daughter would have been too nervous to have fun with the gifts and cake. 

The one thing I wish I had put together is a display of all her pictures throughout the year and how she's grown.  Maybe next year.

• Options

Z's is next Sunday and I am so freaking pumped. If you had asked me 6 months ago if we were going to do a first bday I would have said no way, but I guess I have an inner party planner because as soon as I decided on a "little man" theme all bets were off :)

We invited a slew of people, but most of them are from waaaay out of town (as in plane rides away), but we didnt want to exclude them by not sending the great grandparents, etc. an invite. In the end Im guessing itll be about 30ish adults and 10ish kids (most about 1 year old).

We live in a condo so Im renting a room at a local daycare and having a puppet show that Z loves come and perform. Im keeping the food simple: catered sandwiches and sides, water, soda, beer, and of course cake and cookies.  

• Options
    Ours was very small (less than 15 people) and that was enough in our small house. I'm glad we did it the way we did, though. Anything more would have been too overwhelming for DD and I think she was more comfortable at her own home then she would have been if we held it elsewhere. We started out thinking much bigger and I'm so glad we didn't go that route.
    DD: 1/8/12
    DS: 3/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Small.  Our party was both sets of grandparents, my brother, SIL & niece.  We had to do it during the week due to my dad and brother's schedules and we don't really know anyone with small kids.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    Never thought I would want anything big but look at me now... We rented a really cool urban play care place and have RSVP's for 55 people.  I'm sure not all of those will come which is fine with me!  My nanny is doing the food for me and I ordered a big cake and super sized cup cake for her to smash. I've hired our photographer to capture the memories (which are the most important to me) and I have a little artsy activity for the older kids which will be their party favor.  We will have beer and wine too which will be nice for the adults. :) It's only a two hour party and I don't even know how long she'll last but she's already a little party girl so I think she'll do fine.  Can't wait!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD's b-day has turned into a much larger party than I intended.  We invited family (out to first cousins) and friends who had invited us to their children's b-day parties.  We don't have room at our house, so we are having it at a neighborhood restaurant with pizza buffet. 

It's going to be super cute with a Winter One-derland theme (snowflakes and penguins) but I am never doing this again.  So far we've had 49 RSVPs, yikes!  It will be immediate family going forward, until she has actual friends to invite.

imageimageimage
  • Options

We tried for small, but it's kind of biggish.

We invited grandparents, aunts and uncles (only 2 will show), and then just DD's "friends" (kids we see often).  Because each child will bring 2 parents along, we now have almost 40 people (10 babies) attending. 

We're keeping it short though - only 2 hours.  We'll have a ball pit and toys for kids to play with, provide finger foods for adults (and kids), and then do a cake thing.  That's all.   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wish we could have a party at home...we are in a condo and no way would it work.  We are doing it at a pizza place and invited about 50-60 people.  Not that many will show though, but still a nice size party! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We are doing a medium sized party.

We are holding it at our apartment complex's community room, since our apartment will not hold even 5 extra people.

I invited my parents, sister (and her hubby, 2 kids), my 4 best friends and sig others. Then FI invited every single person in his family - aunts, uncles, cousins, friends he sees once a year... without asking me first. It was a facebook event because it's super short notice (he's been bouncing back and forth with his ex on what weekends his son will be around, and there is no way I'd throw a party for baby without his brother there!).. so it's not like I can take them off the list since they'll still the get notification that they were invited.

FI's father's funeral is this coming weekend, and the weekend after is the party. FI is in no shape to even think about the party, so it's totally Mama's job at this point. Don't even get me started on it. I have a week to plan it now, and a ton more people coming than I thought. I planned on there being maybe 15 people, and now it looks more like 40...  Good work, FI.. not.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"