Postpartum Depression

Going through the motions

I am 2.5 weeks PP, the hospital was a rough place for me. I was induced at 41.5 weeks, wound up pushing for almost 4 hours and the last 2 I was in unbearable pain. DD was "sunny side up" and stuck on a nerve which was causing me all the pain. Wound up doing a csection ( which was my choice and I was ok with the decision). I wasn't able to hold my daughter for a while because I was on so much anesthesia. I was happy and all, but after a day or so I realized I wasn't very connected to her.

i struggled with infertility for 7 years before going through a divorce and meeting my current DH, we got pregnant very easily... We weren't even trying. I was over the moon! This is what I had wanted for so long. So why don't I feel that overwhelming love for this little person? I was so connected when she was inside me... What happened?

once we got home this got a little better, but it still doesn't seem like I am where I should be. I don't feel depressed but I  only want to sleep (I know don't we all), food is uninteresting, and I only eat when I have to.

i am taking care of my DD. I am functioning... No one notices anything might be wrong... They all say I am doing so great, but I feel like I am just going through the motions.

I am not sure what to.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Going through the motions

• Thank you for sharing your story... I gave birth (after a tough induction, labor and then a c-section) one week ago. I was a mess in the hospital, I figured it was bc my body had been through so much and my hormones were rampant. We came home on Friday and I have been more of a mess here. I talked w my OB yesterday and started on Zoloft. I know I won't always feel overwhelmed and anxious like this, but it can be totally disabling. I am functioning too, taking care of my daughter, but having a tough time taking care of myself. Would you consider calling your OB or primary care doctor to address these feelings?

You are not alone... 

BFP 9/27/11, EDD 6/3/12, Missed MC 9w3d BFP 1/1/12 EDD 9/7/12 Natural MC 6w3d BFP 5/8/12, EDD 1/15/13 IT'S A GIRL :)Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wish I could give you the biggest hug! The days and weeks after delivering my son were the hardest of my life. I felt like I was a stranger in my body that didn't feel like my body anymore, we were home with this little person that I didn't know and had to take care of and our life was completely different. It is so hard to adjust. 

Cut yourself some slack! You had a rough delivery and are adjusting to life as a mom. I know it feels like you are going through the motions but at 2w PP I can definitely say I absolutely was going through the motions. Try to get as much rest as you can, get outside and get some fresh air, get out of the house. Even if you don't feel like it, you will feel better afterwords.

It will get better, I promise. Hang in there. The beginning is so tough, but it just gets better and better everyday. You will fall in love with your DD. You will grow to love her so much it will feel like your heart will burst. Give it time. Everything will be okay. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • With my first daughter, the bond and love and attachment was instantaneous and amazing and everything that a soon-to-be-mom hopes for.  So, when I was pregnant with my second, I kept expecting that to happen again.  When I wasn't connecting during my pregnancy, I assumed that it would happen when she was born...then, she was born and...nothing.  My older daughter referred to her as "just a baby" (instead of a "sweet baby" or "cute baby"), and honestly, that's how I thought of her.  I struggled with that for six weeks or so, and then finally admitted how I was feeling to my husband.  He just listened and I told him that really I was trying to "fake it 'til I make it."  I don't know if talking about it helped or if faking it really worked, but just a few days later the bonding started...Now, we're doing so much better that I don't even understand how I could have felt so detatched...So, for me, going through the motions actually helped a lot...
  • My LO is three months and I still feel like I am going through the motions.  I really don't feel too connected to her and it has gotten worse since I went back to work. Getting pregnant was a terrible shock.  We weren't trying and infact two weeks prior to the BFP, we said we weren't going to have children.  I am 38, work full time, a full time student and my DH is self employed (barely).  It just wasn't in the cards.  Then it happened and I remember sitting in the doctors office crying and saying this isn't good.  I was very close to going to planned parenthood.  But then we both realized if it didn't happen now, it would never happen.  

I love my DD and she is great but I just don't feel much towards her.  I find myself looking for every opportunity to give her to DH, or leave the house.  To make matters worse, she is very colicky and that is not helping any at all.  I hope that once the colic is over and we get my meds worked out, it will be different.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"