2nd Trimester
Options

Getting Dogs Ready for Baby

Hello

We have two very spoiled corgis who have been given more than enough attention.  With a new baby on the way I'm curious if anyone has some tips or places to look to get advice on helping them adjust when the baby comes.

I have heard it's best to start getting them ready as soon as possible.

Thanks for the help ladies!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Getting Dogs Ready for Baby

• Options

I am reading "what to expect the first year" and there is a section on this

says things like get the dogs used to sleeping alone (if they sleep with you), play crying baby noises, have a friend who has a baby come over, carry a doll around & talk to it (?!?) 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    we plan to carry around a fake baby about a month before the baby comes and also play crying noises and generally try to get the dog used to the idea that there will be a new member of our family.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We got DS's nursery set up as early as possible, so that the dog and cat would get used to the furniture and the room being used. DS came home from the hospital a few times after DS was born, and so the dog could smell the baby on him. Some people bring a blanket home with the newborn's smell on it as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I read a bit about getting your pets ready on a website.  It might have been from the humane society?  Not sure, sorry!  I do remember one of the tips was to start ignoring your dogs a bit every day.  I have been doing this, since I think it's a good idea.  They have to get used to me not giving them attention everytime they want it, because I'll not be able to give it to them after the baby gets here.
  • Options
    Awww, this thread makes me sad. I can't do any of these things!!!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    Meh, they'll get used to it. People have been introducing babies to families with pets forever. None of said pets have offed themselves out of manic depression or lack of attention.

Set up the nursery and other baby gear ahead of time so they aren't scared by them. We had the nursery set up and put the swing and PnP in the living room a couple weeks before DD was born. H brought home a shirt and blanket that DD had been swaddled in at the hospital for the dog to sniff and put it on her bed to cuddle with.

Other than that, again, just let them adjust in their own time. Give them a special moment or two a day with a treat when the baby is asleep. And try to be patient. My patience for my animals went completely out the window when I had a newborn to deal with, but I did my best to remember that they need love, too.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We have a very anti-kid-friendly dog and we didn't do much of anything. She was 4 when we brought my oldest home, and aside from setting up the nursery before hand, we didn't do anything else.

After the baby arrived, I did have my DH take a blanket home from the hospital that had been wrapped around DS and he let her get used to baby's scent. Other than being very curious when we brought him home and put him in the cradle (think of that scene in Lady and the Tramp with Lady standing up to get a better view) she left him alone - and that remained the status quo for the last 10 years (although they pet her now, so she loves them and guards them when they're playing).  

Our routine changed, her routine changed, we all went with it. We'll do the same with our new baby (older dog will be 14 now and younger dog is about 6 - we've had her for two years - and never experienced a baby in the house). We'll bring a blanket home with the scent and that will be that.

It may sound like a heartless view, but bottom line - they are dogs. If either of my dogs has anxiety (i.e. if they are too spoiled) they'll spend more time outside. But I don't have the time or the energy to treat them as if they're glass and prepare for any and every possibility. My older dog will act the way she acted when we brought the first two home (although we'll probably get a "You did it again, didn't you?" look out of her!). The younger dog is a high-strung border collie, so she might be anxious about the change in routine, but she'll be fine with the actual baby (she loves kids). I think the only problem we'll have with her is that she will want to sniff the baby a lot - she loves new smells. Some people think of their dogs as kids, and that's fine, but even though I love them, my dogs know their place - which is that they are part of this family, but they do not rank higher than the people in it. 

Honestly, my older dog had a harder adjustment with a new couch rather than a new baby because it altered her life - she could no longer be up on it. 

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Options

Another thing you can do is plan for somebody to come play with or walk your dogs in the early days after baby is born.  Sometimes you have family/friends who are willing (for those who say "What can I do to help?" and really mean it) or you can hire someone (dog walking service, neighborhood teenager, etc.) just to get them some energy out and attention.  Alternatively, you can see about doggie day care for a day or two a week right after the baby is born.  If you want to do any of those things, perhaps introduce the person or have them come do walks/play time a time or two before the baby- or bring the dog to doggie daycare a time or two beforehand.

Also, if you don't already, try to get your dogs used to rougher handling (a gentle pinch or tug on ears) to see how they react - obviously without hurting your dog - and putting your hands in their food bowl when they are eating.  Try taking a treat or toy away from the dog, then giving it back when they allow you to take it without being aggressive.

TTC starting November 2010  HSG clear, DH SA #1- Slightly low count & motility SA#2-normal
    Lap&Dye/Hysterscopy Feb 2012: Endo stage 2
    April - June 2012: Femera 5 mg & 3 IUIs = All BFN    July/August 2012: IVF #1 = C/P
    September/October 2012: IVF #2 BFP! Beta 1= 223 Beta 2 = 480 Beta 3 = 11,440
    My beautiful daughter was born June 21, 2013
    TTC #2 naturally, no luck
    IVF #3 April 2015: BFN
    IVF #4 July 2015: BFP! Beta 1 9dp5dt = 409, Beta 2 13dp5dt = 1743

• Options

We will be having someone (maybe DH maybe someone else) bring a blanket and hat or something home from the hospital before I come home.  I have also started playing crying music on my phone randomly.  My dogs just sniff the phone.  Both my dogs have been around my nieces and nephews and we have never had a problem, but I know it is different for a baby to come into their space.  We also plan on continuing to allow the dogs to sleep with us as we do not plan to co-sleep at all.  The baby will have a crib in her room and a bassinet in ours, but won't sleep in our bed so the dogs can still have that. 

I have also read to have the dogs home when you come home as opposed to having someone take them out, bringing the baby home, and having them come back.  I read it helps to lessen the anxiety to have them be home when you get home.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageRedheadBaker:
    imageShelleyBQ:

Also, if you don't already, try to get your dogs used to rougher handling (a gentle pinch or tug on ears) to see how they react - obviously without hurting your dog - and putting your hands in their food bowl when they are eating.  Try taking a treat or toy away from the dog, then giving it back when they allow you to take it without being aggressive. 

Dogs should not need to get used to this. Some dogs have high tolerance levels, some do not -- I'd hate to find out the hard way that my dog did not. 

Not to mention your dog will react to YOU doing these things much differently than a small child.  

I agree with the response to these things. My dogs are very tolerant but we don't mess with food.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have two dogs. One boy German shepherd Australian cattle dog mix and a girl husky lab mix.

I ended up getting hives whenever I touched the boy starting at the end of the second trimester. He started ignoring me and didnt acknowledge me again until about six months after the baby was born. He still ignores the baby the majority of the time.

Our little girl is totally his second mama.

My husband brought home a new baby scented swaddle blanket a couple times a day when we were in the hospital. When we came home, I came in first and my husband brought the baby in about five minutes later.

Both dogs seem to realize and respect the hierarchy in our house and the fact that the baby is higher in the chain of command than they are. The boy dog acknowledges the baby more now that he can walk and throw balls.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageRedheadBaker:

imageskio:
    Meh, they'll get used to it. People have been introducing babies to families with pets forever. None of said pets have offed themselves out of manic depression or lack of attention.

Set up the nursery and other baby gear ahead of time so they aren't scared by them. We had the nursery set up and put the swing and PnP in the living room a couple weeks before DD was born. H brought home a shirt and blanket that DD had been swaddled in at the hospital for the dog to sniff and put it on her bed to cuddle with.

Other than that, again, just let them adjust in their own time. Give them a special moment or two a day with a treat when the baby is asleep. And try to be patient. My patience for my animals went completely out the window when I had a newborn to deal with, but I did my best to remember that they need love, too.

That's great that your dogs were easy-going enough to adjust on their own. Many, many dog owners have pets that have issues with anxiety, and preparing them ahead of time as much as possible helps to ease that.

Mmkay.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely some interesting posts on this. Since my dog was a puppy I've made sure that she wouldn't bite agressively when I get in her food or touch her anywhere. She'll grumble and growl in true spoiled rotten Beagle fashion but she's never hurt anyone intentionally. I've also had her around plenty of kids and she goes into mommy mode and is totally protective. I can't wait to see how she reacts when I bring home the baby. Honestly I'm more worried about my cat's being jerkfaces than the dog.

• Options

Thank you all so much for the advice! It's nice to read what everyone has done and what has worked.  My dogs are spoiled, but very well behaved, I'm sure they will adjust just fine but these tips help a lot!

Thanks!! :)

• Options

Before I was even pregnant with DS I made sure none of my pets were toy or food aggressive. Taking toys away and giving them back, sticking my fingers in the food bowl while they were eating, etc. When I do that with my dog she just backs up and looks at me like "Whatcha doin?"

I brought DS home to an Ark practically. He came home to a dog, 3 cats, a bird, and a lizard (the bird and lizard were only a problem once DS started walking). The dog shocked me the most, she became VERY excited over the baby. And he was HER baby, she followed the baby around the house and was never more than a few feet from where the baby was. Getting her to go outside to go potty was a struggle because she didn't want to leave the baby. And she would panic whenever we would go somewhere with the baby and leave her at home.

When we brought him home I carried him through the house and let each pet sniff him (They each sniffed top of his head), which was my way of introducing them. The only problem we had was with my male cat during the night when DS would be crying. My male cat would follow us around as we carried the crying infant howling at us to get us to make the noise stop. Eventually he got used to the noise and stopped doing that, but now I wish I had prepared him more for the noise the baby would make.

BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
  • Options

Your corgis are adorable!! We have 3 dogs (beagle, and 2 mutts). One of the dogs can be aggressive (shelter dog) and she is the most protective of our son. My smallest and oldest dog would cuddle up to my side when I nursed DS. The beagle is spoiled and gets more jealous now that DS is 2 and 1/2 and DH plays with him a lot.

When I had DS we brought home a blanket that smelled like the baby. When we brought the baby inside, we put the dogs in our bed room and one at a time introduced them to him while they were on a leash. I think this really helped and gave us peace of mind too esp. with the aggressive one. They have adjusted very well and I think they "sense" that I am pregnant again.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

Haul out all your baby accessories, swing, bassenette etc and have them set up months before baby comes so they get used to the stuff being around.  Bring home babys blanket from the hospital (before you come home) so they can sniff it.  When you do come home had someone play with them before you arrive so they are exhausted, when you come in set the baby in the carrier down and supervise them, but let them sniff the baby.  Good luck

Formerly the untaggable Mrs. D S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options

Thank you! The problem is they KNOW they are adorable :) always craving attention, one is snuggling me on the couch as I type!

Thanks for the tips and advice - the leash is a good idea

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"