December 2011 Moms

Moving to NYC from Florida - what do I need to buy?

My husband got a job in Manhattan, so we're moving from Florida next month. I'd love to be prepared before we get there, so any suggestions on what we'll need would be great!

We're not going to have a car, so all our travel will be walking/public transit (i.e. outside for moderately long stretches). We're moving to a 4th floor walkup, so everything will have to be carried up and down stairs. I'm going to invest in a good carrier (I have two already but don't love either one) but I'll be using our stroller pretty regularly too.

So do I need a stroller insert to keep her warm or do I just need a bodysuit for her? Do you put mittens on LO every time you go out? Should I buy snow-proof mittens or just ones for warmth? What's the best way to keep her dry in a cold rain?

Sorry for all the questions, but we're going from a car-based existence in a warm environment into uncharted territory. I'd love to hear your advice! 

Re: Moving to NYC from Florida - what do I need to buy?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oooh, I love a reason to go to the Gap! Their hats with velcro are the only ones I can keep my LO in - she pulls everything else off. I'm guessing it would be the same with mittens for her, but maybe she'll figure out that she needs to leave them on when it's really cold out :) Thanks for the tip!

And my LO only woke up once that night I posted and only for about 2 minutes before she put herself back to sleep. Unfortunately, the last couple of nights have not been as successful. And don't get me started on naps...it took two hours for her to fall asleep for nap #1 today. Nap #2 is supposed to start at 2:30. I'm already dreading it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats!  We just moved from FL to upstate NY.  You will need warm clothes - preferably layers.  I love the the three in one jackets - a fleece jacket that zips into a warmer water proof shell.  It is always seems too cold in the stores for a heavy jacket but too warm for their winter jacket, so I keep them in the fleece but take off the outer shell.  Get mittens that have a velcro strap around the wrist, the others are way too easy for them to get off.  A nice hat that covers their ears.  I would get a nice pair of boots, you probably don't need snow boots though since the sidewalks should get shoveled fairly well.  I wouldn't worry about snow gloves, snow pants, snow boots, etc. unless you plan on finding a place to play in the snow.  I bought our kids those things since we live in upstate and have a big yard, but they haven't used them too much yet since we are still adjusting to the temperature difference.  Plus, all that gear will take up more space which is very valuable in NYC. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats on your upcoming move! We live in a decent size city in Scotland with a fairly similar climate.  We walk just about everywhere in the city too.  I would definitely recommend a stroller rain cover.  You can find them on amazon and it is a clear, (breathable) plastic cover that fits over most strollers.

Because it rains here a bit more than NYC, I always have my rain cover with me and it easily fits below the stroller in the storage basket.

I would also get a hat that covers the ears and fastens so your LO cannot pull it off.  DD pulls her hat off. all. the. time. We have a patagonia kids snowsuit that she wears when we go out as well. I find the snowsuit easier than the blanket bundle that you can buy for the stroller because the snowsuit has multiple purposes/uses. She can wear it in her stroller when we are walking around town, she can wear it in the snow, and she also wears it when we take her out hiking in the backpack carrier.  Also the patagonia snowsuit is a size 24 months...which is slightly big on DD, but it is very easy to get on and off very quickly.  I can do it by myself holding her.

If you are interested in the backpack carrier, we use ours more than the stroller. We just upgraded ours to a Littlelife All Terrain and plan on using it a lot more this summer when we travel. It holds up to 45 lbs so DD will be in it for a while and it is sturdy/ light weight enough for me to wear.

As far as snow boots go, we do not have these as DD is not really walking.  

For jackets, we use a lot of fleece jackets that do really good job keeping out the cold and dampness.

If you have any other questions, LMK!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• We are in Philadelphia so very similar climate and live in the city so here is what we do, hope it helps:

DS has a snowsuit and a stroller bundler- we use our stroller everyday and he hates putting more clothes on so the stroller bundler makes going out much easier- what stroller do you have?  City life is much harder on the stroller than suburban living and you will definitely want something light since you have a walk-up.  I definitely agree with the pp that you need a hat that snaps at the chin or it will come right off and a rain/ wind cover is essential.  Layers are good we still use lots of onesies underneath all DS's outfits for warmth. In addition to our stroller we use our carrier alot (we have the ergobaby which we love, but I have heard good things about a number of them) this is great because a lot of places have steps or narrow entrances which are difficult with a stroller.  When we use our carrier we put his snowsuit, hat and boots on and then usually try to put his hands inside our jacket once the mittens have come off. I would also reccomend getting a lobster type travel highchair they are great for a small appartment as they dont take up floor space and then also good for small local restaurants that dont have highchairs we have come accross a few of those around us.

I wouldn't worry about snowproof mittens ds has no interest in playing in the snow and even if he did we probably wouldn't let him because in the city it is all grey and gross about two hours after it finishes snowing in addition DS takes his mittens off every couple mins anyway.  Good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions.

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"