Pre-School and Daycare

Birthday Invites - Preschool Class?

While reading this Birthday posts, I have a thought.  If you've invited your LO's preschool class to their birthday, how many of the kids actually came?  I'm thinking I can invite DS's class of 16 and expect maybe 8?  I know one or two of the parents semi well and would think they would definitely come but I really don't know what to expect from those I don't know.  It ranges from we say "hi" at pick up to I've actually never met some of the parents.  

Any guesses on what to expect there?  BTW, if it matters, DS's party will be on a Sat AM on the weekend following Easter weekend.  So, not on the holiday, the week after. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Birthday Invites - Preschool Class?

• I think statistically it's supposed to be 25% of the number you invite. I'm just going to go up to DS's school and have a classroom birthday party during their snack time and THEN have the family/friends of the family's kids come to the weekend birthday party. I noticed that I save a ton of money that way and DS still gets to celebrate with his classmate friends.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• I think you may be surprised.  I have only invited the whole class once (and vowed to never, ever do that again) and I can't recall the exact number but I would guess it was 75% to 80% that came to the party.  Last year for my DD's June birthday (school got out Friday and party was Sat), we invited 15 kids and had 11 at the party.  Unless the party is on a holiday weekend or in the middle of summer break, the majority of people tend to come to parties.  It doesn't matter if people know you or not, parents are not going to leave a preschooler at a party without staying (at least people that I know in real life would not).  I think it tends to matter more once you hit the drop off parties which around here tend to start in kindy and 1st grade with some exceptions with the Prek (5 year old party) set.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • A good bet is anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 of the class will attend if you invite everyone.  If your party is on a holiday weekend or during another busy time of year, maybe less.  If it's during a relatively laid-back time of year, maybe a little more.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Yikes - hmmm, well I guess if more come, I'll re-vise this plan for next year! I'm not sure what to expect out of people I don't know I guess.  But I would feel bad inviting most of the class but not all so I guess I'm stuck going with all.  If his favorite friends come, I don't really think DS would care one way or the other if it's bunch or not.  This could however be more expensive than I hoped.  

Sigh - I like the classroom party idea.  This is stressful and potentially too expensive for a two hour event! 

• I would never invite that many to a 4 year olds birthday! The rule of thumb is usually you should have as many friends there as the child's age, no more, or it's overwhelming...so no more than 4 little friends for a 4 year old. I totally see how this is a good rule of thumb - 4 year olds still kind of live in their own little world, tantrums about sharing can still happen, and that's a lot of kids - what if you do get 10 or 12 of them there, plus their families, etc. No way Jose. I'd invite only those closest to your child.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"