Preemies
Options

preterm labor questions

hi there ladies! I posted this on the 3rd trimester board but thought I might get a response here on the preemies board.  I'm currently 32 weeks pregnant and started having consistent contractions the night before last. They got stronger, closer together, and then I had some spotting. Got my feet up, drank tons of water, and they kept coming so my OB sent me to the hospital to get checked out around 5pm yesterday. Contractions were 6 mins apart and increasing in intensity, lower back pain and so forth. I remember feeling this way when contractions started with my first so of course I was a bit scared. I have been feeling super run down and "flu-y" for about a week or so, but not sick (again, how I felt at 38 weeks with my DD). After checking me, I had progressed to 40% effaced and started to dilate so they gave me a shot of terbutaline, which didn't totally stop contractions but made them way less intense and caused them to space out to about every 20 mins. Then sent me home with instructions to rest and stay hydrated until I talk to my OB on monday.

Has anyone else have this happen to them? Did your labor end up coming back? When did you actually end up having baby (how many weeks were you?) I'm just a bit nervous because anytime before 34 weeks, I'd get sent 2 hours away to our nearest city hospital and I don't want to have this little baby in the NICU because of preterm complications...not to mention being away from my DD or DH for weeks on end. The whole experience just has me a bit paranoid now...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: preterm labor questions

• Options
    I had PTL at 30w with my twins. I wasn't dilated or effaced. I was admitted overnight and got contractions stopped. I was on bed rest after that. My water broke at 32w3d and I delivered. Take it easy and listen to your body and I hope your baby continues to bake!
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    I had contractions starting at 32 weeks had 3 shots of tributaline to stop them and sent home. 2 days later more contractions in the hospital for 2 days for magnesium and got seriod shots. The contractions came back at 34 wks 3 more shots of tributaline. Was induced at 39 wks. I was in bed rest for 5 wks had contractions until I delivered and they were regular sometimes. You never know. Good luck. Hope your baby keeps cooking.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

At 32w 6d I went into the hospital to have my bp checked and that's when they found out that I was contracting. That night I was given 2 shot of terburtaline and prescription for procadia, and the first shot of steroids for the baby's lungs. I was told to call my OB in the morning. The next day I was put on bed rest until 35 weeks. The following day I came back to the hospital for the second steroid shot. I made it to 34w 5d before I had DD#2. The day before she was born I was having contractions every 2 minutes and that was with lots of water and laying down. I called the on-call OB and told him I was heading to L&D. There at the hospital I was given another three shots of terb (which didn't really help!). I was told I was being keep for observations, although the contractions seem to be getting worst and worst. At 1 in the morning I remember asking for some pain relief. I ended getting staydol and ambein to help me sleep. Within 30 minutes I was being wheeled to L&D to deliver the baby. I was very thankful that I was in the hospital instead of being at home. I ended up delivering with no epi or pain meds other than staydol. DD#2 spent 14 days in the NICU.

I was on procadia for almost two weeks before I delivered I found that the meds would work for a short period of time. Actually I was told to take them every 4 hours, but I was having to take them closer to 3.5 hours. If your contractions get closer together get yourself to the hospital. 

You and your LO are in my thoughts and prayers. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"