Preemies

About to throw in the towel...re: BFing...:(

DD is 10 weeks old (2 weeks adjusted), and I've been trying to BF her -- but her latch is terrible and her suction is very weak.  I realize this is because she's been on bottles for 10 weeks (she spent 31 days in the NICU but I still tried every day to BF her).  I now try a few times a day, but...my nipples are getting bruised.  I've tried a shield, but I usually can't find it when I need it or one of my other children runs away with it (my 2 year old hides it!).  

At what point do I just give up and accept she's not going to be able to.  I am OK continuing to pump until my supply dries up.  I really want her to have BM.  I am just so so sad that I can't get her to latch properly (yes, I've seen 3 LC's too and they didn't help at all). UGH.  Has too much time past and it's silly for me to think she'll actually BF? 

TIA 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: About to throw in the towel...re: BFing...:(

• I'm in the same situation, except DS has a good latch. He's just a lazy nurser, so he takes forever. Plus, my supply is terrible (and I've tried EVERYTHING!). I'm very close to giving up, too. I figure that I've given it my best effort, and he's gotten as much BM as I could possibly give him. That is better than no BM at all. I'm trying to hold out for another week or two and make it to 3 mo. actual age. Good luck! Don't stress too much and do whatever works best for you and your family.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I agree.  I have friends who never BF (didn't plan to) and went straight to formula when their LO was born -- with zero guilt -- it was just their plan.  I've tried to BF her for 2.5 months (with two toddlers ages 2 and 4 running around me) and I plan to keep pumping for as long as I can so at least she can get BM from a bottle.

But, the attempts at trying to BF are killing me emotionally and physically (more emotionally) and I find myself not bonding as positively with my daughter because I'm so sad about not being able to BF her -- so why should I spend the rest of my maternity leave from work stressing over this -- when ironically, she'll need to take a bottle when I return to work in March anyway! I feel I can bond with her (cuddle time, etc.) with a bottle, even though it's not my first choice.  I may still make attempts here and there, but I've made the decision to no longer stress about it....

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I stopped around 2.5 months and then pumped for a few more weeks before switching to formula.  My LO never latched well and we were both in tears during most feedings.  I also had to pump and supplement after most feedings which was exhausting and stressful, especially when my H was at work.

After seeing 3 LCs and at the lowest emotional point since she was born I couldn't do it anymore.  I was starting to resent feeding her and had lost way too much weight.  I also didn't want to loose out on any more time with her before going back to work.

At first I felt really guilty, but I soon realized how well she was doing and really started to bond and connect with her.  Feeding also became enjoyable for both of us.  You have done an awesome job this long, especially with 2 other kids.  It also doesn't have to be all or nothing.  You can continue to pump and/or supplemdnt with a little formula.  Good luck!  This was one of the hardest decisions I have made. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First off, good for you for pumping and trying for so long. I lasted 9 weeks with DD. My supply was horrendous and when we finally got the ok to try to BF (as opposed to pumping plus supplementing with formula), she would only suck for max one minute to ease the worst of her hunger and then de-latch and scream until she got the bottle. My letdown reflex never kicked in, either, so she really had to suck the whole time and was not ok with that. When I was pumping 5-6x / day and getting a grand total of about 3 oz, I decided it was time to quit. I had guilt, but looking back it was definitely the right decision. I cannot even imagine trying to do it with 2 other kids running around, so huge kudos to you for that.

I've already said that if I have the same problems with this one, I will do it for a few weeks but stop as soon as I'm getting less than 2 bottles worth / day out of it. It's simply not worth the stress to me. DD is doing fabulously now at almost 21 months. Breast may be best, but FF is not horrible, either.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"