Adoption

choosing an agency?

Hubby and I just recently decided to pursue domestic adoption after a year TTC. I had a MC at 6 weeks and the experience was one of the worst of my life. I agreed to TTC for a while after, but that went nowhere and we're ready to move on. We still need to save the money, but I'm wondering how everyone chose their agencies? There are so many!

Very excited about this new opportunity! I have always wanted to adopt.

Re: choosing an agency?

• Welcome! I think the best thing to do would just start researching into different agencies in your area. Most have informational meetings you can attend and those will give you pretty good feel on if the agency is a good fit for you! Good luck and keep us all posted!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since June 2009
    01/10- Femara
    03/10- Femara
    07/2010- Clomid with injectables and IUI #1
    08/2010- IUI #2
    06/2011- IVF #1 BFP!
    09/2011- Miscarriage at 10 1/2 weeks
    11/2011- FET
    01/2012- Start Home Study process
    03/2012- Home Study approved and now waiting on our child to find us!
    07/2012- matched with a BM who is due in October!
    11/10/12- our son is born!
    11/13/12- court grants us custody!
     12/28/12- finalization! Always ours in our hearts, but.now also ours forever

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

http://keepingupwiththejoneses-dana.blogspot.com/

• Welcome to the board!  Most agencies you can send for more information via their website.  When we first started out and were looking at DIA  and we sent away for info from about 10 different agencies.  From the packages sent we were able to get an idea of cost, process and a bit of a feel for the way the agency presents themselves.  We narrowed down our choices and then spoke to people on the phone and took notes on how our questions were answered, time frame for calls back, office locations, that type of thing. 

The agency that we liked ultimately ended up being an agency that had the international program we are interested in so although we didn't end up with DIA, it worked out and we found the right place for us. 

Good luck and welcome again!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Loading the player...
  • We wanted a fairly local agency that we would work with, and we wanted one that was more or less full-service. We contacted 3 agencies: one was a religious-based agency in our town, one was a small mom and pop agency that contracted out a lot of their services (homestudy, post-placement legal work, etc), one was a large, well-established agency that worked in several states.

One place wouldn't return my calls, one gave me a bad vibe, and one I loved. Of course, they had the highest fees.

We attended some webinars and in-person seminars to get a feel for the adoption process in general, and one was through one of the agencies. DH attended an in-person informational seminar with one of them, and got a rec from a co-worker (they did her international adoption homestudy), which clinched the deal.

I'd think about the things that are important to you and ask the agencies if they can work with you within your specific parameters. For example, some people want a religious-based agency, some want them to be open to single parents and gays/lesbians, some don't want a different fee structure for minority placements, some want a guarantee of counseling for expectant parents, etc.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have been driving by an adoption agency in my town on the way to and from work everyday for 3 years.  I always noticed it because you don't really see adoption agency buildings often.  Little did I know that I would actually need their help in the future.  They were my first thought when deciding to adopt.  I then compared their prices and info with a few other.  They claim they work will less clients at a time and their fees are a bit lower.  Me being able to walk to the agency(that is how close they are) really made my decision.  I wanted them to know me personally. They really liked that we are a home town couple for them so it is fun.

I would find a few ones in your area and request info/go in for a meeting.  Most of the couples working with my agency do not even live in the same state.  I don't think I would like that..I liked to be able to meet with them in person and not just do over the phone meetings. 

7/18/12-1st RE appointment CD2 blood work taken. Told to move straight to IVF. Starting BC pills and FSH injections plus Lupron. Hopefully doing ET in September Off BCP March 2011 Started TTC July 2011 7 months TTC with no luck an then.... Diagnosed 2/24/12 with 2 Ovarian Cysts. 3/22/12-Lap to remove cysts, look for endo, and see if tubes are clear. 3/22/12-Diagnosed with Severe Endo(tubes are clear). 4/4/12-Post op OBGYN appointment. Told chances of conceiving naturally are very low, but told conceiving in the next few months is our best chance due to being cleaned out during Lap. Referred to a RE. RE said IVF is our only chance to get pregnant. Told only a 20% chance even with two put in. 9/5-Lupron 9/20 Stims(Menopur & Follistim) 9/30 Trigger time 10/2 ER 10/3 fert report-out of 7 eggs retrieved only 2 fertilized. Hello "Thing 1 and Thing 2!" Kinda sad there is none to freeze. Because only 2 we will have 2DT to get them back into a natural envionment 10/4 ET. Found out that only 1 divided. We love you "Thing 2." Thing 1 is now snuggled inside me and we are praying it will be our take home baby! **Did not even make it to my beta, the day before on 10/16/12 I got my F'in period** Such a stab in the heart. Nov 2012-Moving onto domestic newborn adoption! Can't wait for my take home baby. We will try IVF again after 1-2 years of a clear head. Need a break from infertility treatments/issues for my mental sanity! image
  • Like PP, I sent for info from about 8 locally based agencies. I went through their info and weeded ones out. I narrowed it down to two, a national agency and a state agency (only have EMs and BMs from our state). I called both agencies and read through a three page list of questions I compiled. The agency I had the best feeling about from the beginning gave the best answers and that's who we chose. We had a wonderful experience and will be using them again in a couple months when we start on adoption #2.

My advice: research online, by mailings and via phone and go with your gut. Good luck!

I became a mother because of adoption. She is the absolute love of my life. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker formerly known as sw_in_kc
  • Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better and more knowledgeable about starting our search now.
  • Ditto what others have said - research agencies and then attend informational meetings. DH and I made an excel chart of local agencies and narrowed it down to the ones that were in our price range, had the program we wanted (domestic infant), etc. Then we attended informational meetings and have narrowed it down to two.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"