Two Under 2

Did a close pregnancy after a c-section hurt?

My H and I want to start trying for #2 around our first's birthday. Did anyone who had a c/s the first time have pains towards the end of pregnancy? Did the scar stretch? If you had a VBAC, was there any residual old-c/s pain? If you had another c/s how did that go for you?

Thanks in advance!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Did a close pregnancy after a c-section hurt?

• I have not gone through the c-section process again but I am pregnant again. I found out when I was only 12 weeks pp. I am 18 weeks now. The only problems I've had so far is some pressure in that area but since baby is in that area alot I just attribute it to that. I remember some pressure there from my DS so kinda normal. The scar did not stretch between my last 2 pregnancies. Granted they were about 6 years apart. The only concern my OB has is possible incision opening at the end from not healing all the way. But by the time this LO comes it will have been almost 11 months so it would have healed some.

For you waiting till after your LO's 1st birthday that will put you at least at 21 months. Except for maybe some tenderness and some extra pressure I don't see any problems you would have being that far out from your 1st c-section. 

SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• My scar was uncomfortable off and on throughout my pregnancy.  It was constant towards the end.  I had a repeat c/s and found the 2nd recovery more painful and it was a longer recovery.  Maybe because I was chasing a toddler around...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had some discomfort around my scar on and off during the pregnancy. Most recently, I've had some numbness. RCS is in Jan.
  • Mine are 16 months apart. No issues with previous scar. I actually recovered from my rcs easier than the first time. The toughest part was chasing a todler 9 months pregnant.
  • For me, I felt the most discomfort around my incision in first tri. after that there wasn't any at all.

My second pregnancy was easier than my first. My second c-section/recovery was hellish but it was due to complications unrelated to closely spaced pregnancies.

• just a little itchy at the incision site.  No pain at all for me
  • No pain or stretching so far.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I found out I was pregnant around DD's 1st birthday, they are 20 months apart.  I didn't have any pain around my incision scar while pregnant.  The RCS went fine.  I think my scar looks better now than before.  It was a little harder recovering with a toddler in the house.  By the 5th day post-surgery I was moving around fine, and picking up DD.  I did have to be careful not to overdo it.

• Thanks everyone! Glad to hear it's nowhere near as bad as I was imagining haha!

• I didn't notice anything with my scar at all. I didn't have any extra pain outside of pregnancy pain either, but I wasn't complaining much it was a lot better than twins ;) The recovery was a little bit harder this time, but I'm attributing that to the stupid staples that my doctor used (even though I asked her not to), and having two toddlers to take care of as well. It wasn't that bad though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nope did not hurt. Easier recovery second time because I knew what to expect and what to do to help heal faster.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imageKatieS7:
    Much like you, I was pregnant within 3 months of my csection. I found it to be a bit tender in the first tri and when I suddenly sneezed or coughed but it wasn't painful by any means. I VBAC'd with my second (just short of 11 months after csection as DD was a month early.) I didn't feel a thing during labour and delivery in regards to my scar. Pregnant with # 3 now and I still feel twinges around the incision area but again, nothing painful. Good luck!

OP I apologize for hijacking -- but, KatieS7 -- did you get a lot of resistance from your OB about VBAC after 11 months?  My due date is just over a year apart from my delivery with DS, and my OB isn't even giving me the option to VBAC..?

OP -- as to your question -- I do feel some tingly feelings every now and then, and I'm very early still.. I've also heard recovery after rcs is sometimes more difficult (but, again, I'd attribute that to having another LO running around!!).

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • All of my children were born via c/s. My first two kids are 14 months apart. There wwas pain from the scar stretching during my pregnancies, but nothing unbearable. I'd take the scar pain over some of the over pregnancy miseries I experienced.

My second c/s was easier to recover from, though my first recovery wasn't bad. My third c/s recovery took longer, but I had hemorrhaged after it and also had 3u3 so I wasn't able to rest much.

• imagelauracoro:
    Mine are 16 months apart. No issues with previous scar. I actually recovered from my rcs easier than the first time. The toughest part was chasing a todler 9 months pregnant.

This except my dd and ds are 22 months apart.

• I've had 3 c/s - ds1 and ds2 are 15 months, ds2 and ds3 are 20 months apart. There was some pain with stretching around my c/s scar with ds2 and ds3 but nothing major. My c-sections were all easy but they are even easier with each one. Some of that is due to knowing what to expect but also my body just bounced back faster with each. I had no choice but to do stuff. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm so glad I seen this forum. this is why I love the bump. My children will be exactly 1 yr apart same due date. Previous c section. Dr gave me the op to vbac but I'm nervous. If I schedule a section I know what to expect. I never even got the chance to push last time I wasnt to do it, but I'm terrified!
  • My DD1 was 14 months when I got the BFP for DD2.

I didn't feel any problems with my scar. I didn't have a VBAC though, my 2nd CS was awesome and will be having my 3rd CS just 18 months afterwards.

I made sure they cut the old scar out and that way it was just one prettier scar than the ragged one I had after my first. LOL I tried to get a tummy tuck but they wouldn't go for it ;)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"