Preemies
Options

Esophageal Atresia and Tracheoesophageal Fistula (EA/TEF)

For those of you unfamiliar with EA/TEF, the quick rundown is that the atresia means that the esophagus ends in a blind pouch and the trachea and the esophagus have an abnormal attachment.  There are varying degrees of this birth defect, but they all require surgical intervention for survival.

It's more often than not associated with prematurity and linked to other birth defects that fall under the acronym VACTERL (vertebral, anal, cardiac, trachea, esophagus, renal and limb).  It occurs in 1 of every 4000 births; in America, that yields about 3 babies born DAILY.

LINK REMOVED BY MOD

I'm writing this because I wasn't on FB when DS1 was born with EA/TEF.  We literally went through this blindly, and stumbled @ss backwards into EXCELLENT care.  Some are not so fortunate.  We literally just want to spread the word that there are HUNDREDS of EA/TEF families across the US and VERY FEW hospitals that are successfully treating kids.   

If you have a child with EA/TEF, please join us on FB.  If you know someone who has a child with EA/TEF (regardless of age), please encourage them to join us.  We're a great group of people, and love to meet new families!!

Thanks, ladies!!  Happy New Year!! 

Prudence
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Otis
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Esophageal Atresia and Tracheoesophageal Fistula (EA/TEF)

• Options
    Thank you for posting this. I stumbled upon the support group by google and hope to get more interaction with people that have been in the same boat. My daughter was born 11/27 with EA and before she was born we had no idea what it was. She's now at home and doing wonderful. I'm glad to get to talk to others about their children's success stories!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Glad to see this. I may hop over. I was born with EA/TEF in 1981 and am one of the oldest survivors. In my life I've run into one person IRL who knew someone who had this, which has been somewhat isolating. I'm happy to report that at almost 32 I'm perfectly healthy and have had a very "normal" life with few complications.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"