January 2013 Moms

Perineal massage

Is anyone going to try perineal massage? I'm trying to see if i want to try it or not. I've heard it can cause infection ( which i dont want nor need this far into my pregnancy) , and some say its a waste of time, while others say it saved them from tearing?'

Has anyone had success doing this? Anything info would help.

Thank you,

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Perineal massage

• Are you talking before delivery or during?

My dr's both did it during delivery. With ds I still ended up with a 2nd degree tear. With dd I barely even had a 1st degree.

I dont see how anyone would ever know if it them you from tearing. It could be true but how would they know they would have tore without it?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I did it starting at week 36 of my last pregnancy and I still had a tear, but my baby was also pretty big and I was being told when to push instead of doing it on my own. I'll probably start doing it again this week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
    imageimageimage
    26 years old, married since June 2009, DS born 1/19/13

Dear Baby Pacheco...
  • Well it won't hurt but there's no guarantee it will help. I mean, I think it helps during labor but the results on doing it ahead of time are mixed, from my understanding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • They were all up stretching me when I was delivering but I didn't do it ahead of time. I had a 2nd degree tear and it's far less bad that I had anticipated. 
  • I had many moms recommend that I do this prior to delivery but I must admit I could never convince myself to do it or that it would help.

I delivered our angel on NYE.  I pushed for 4 hours. We did not know until she came out that she was sunny side up.  I was pushing effectively and she would come down and then because my body wasn't stretching enough she would progress back upwards.

I had 3 nurses during my actual pushing phase because their shifts kept ending.  The third nurse literally climbed on the edge of my bed for the last 2 hours of my pushing and did perineal massage.  The on call OB then came in for the last 45 minutes and they stretched me to the extreme.....I will admit that it was very uncomfortable and even though my epidural was awesome I felt a lot of tugging and pulling.  DH face while they were doing this was priceless and he later told me "I thought they were going to pull your vagina wider than your hips!"

I LOVE these two women for taking the time to do this for me. I still ended up with a second degree tear but did not tear towards my perineum or forwards but internally instead.  Its not a pleasant tear but not near as bad as I expected or would have otherwise had.  I still think that without this nurse and OB I would have ended up with a c section for "failure to progress". 

I should also add that this was the on call OB.....not even my OB and it was at 4 a.m. after 3 other deliveries that night that she took the time to do this for me.........so I guess the moral of my long post is that I was not a believer until these two women saved my vagina!!!!!!

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagelaurapacheco:
    I've been trying to do it... but honestly I don't know how people accomplish this with the big baby belly in the way. I can't reach down there well enough to do it right! :-

Ok, so I tried it for the the first time last night and came across the same problem... the solution: lying on my side in the bathtub reaching my hand around behind me (yes, a very awkward position!)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My midwife did this with my first birth at transition time and it saved me but I didn't do anything ahead of time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsLean:

imagelaurapacheco:
    I've been trying to do it... but honestly I don't know how people accomplish this with the big baby belly in the way. I can't reach down there well enough to do it right! :-

Ok, so I tried it for the the first time last night and came across the same problem... the solution: lying on my side in the bathtub reaching my hand around behind me (yes, a very awkward position!)

I always did mine in a semi reclined position in bed, legs apart with knees bent and feet flat on the bed, and a mirror so I could see what I was doing. I know, scary lol. But I never had a problem reaching around the bump this way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started doing it last week........I guess I'm the only one but my DH is doing it.  :)  I scoot to the edge of the bed with my feet on the bed and DH is standing and he uses his thumbs.  Much easier than me doing it myself.
  • I'm all about doing everything I can to stack the deck in my favor to have an easier L&D, but honestly I'm just not convinced that perineal massage has that much of an impact and it's uncomfortable so I'm not planning to do it.  If I thought it would work I would absolutely do it, but I'm really not willing to deal with the discomfort when I don't think it will have an impact.  I think other things like mother directed pushing, perineal support during crowning, and pushing in a favorable position have much more to do with whether you tear or not.  JMO!
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • My What to Expect app suggested that I have my husband do it.  He was more than willing but gosh, I just feel like somethings are better left in private.  Not to mention, I don't want him touching my hemorrhoids...

• imagesbevmc09:
    I'm all about doing everything I can to stack the deck in my favor to have an easier L&D, but honestly I'm just not convinced that perineal massage has that much of an impact and it's uncomfortable so I'm not planning to do it.  If I thought it would work I would absolutely do it, but I'm really not willing to deal with the discomfort when I don't think it will have an impact.  I think other things like mother directed pushing, perineal support during crowning, and pushing in a favorable position have much more to do with whether you tear or not.  JMO!

Agreed, the research is out on this one and there is no clear cut evidence saying this will actually help. 

Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • It can cause infection if you aren't washing your hands! Don't stick dirty fingers in any part of your body.

Here's a link to how to do it correctly: https://www.babycenter.com/404_can-perineal-massage-help-me-avoid-an-episiotomy_1955.bc 

• imageamnat84:

imagelaurapacheco:

Ok, thank you! I have been wondering this for awhile.  I got the vitamin E oil like our hospital handout suggested and then I thought...I can barely wipe my own ass right now, how the hell am I supposed to do this?!  Anyone??

I just started. Do it in the shower. Stand with one leg on the ledge and I find it easier to go behind or if you push your leg out far, you can go the forward route. You aren't digging around or going at it, it's very light pressure and movement. Not scary at all and pretty easy. Just go slow. 

• imageamnat84:

imagelaurapacheco:

Ok, thank you! I have been wondering this for awhile.  I got the vitamin E oil like our hospital handout suggested and then I thought...I can barely wipe my own ass right now, how the hell am I supposed to do this?!  Anyone??

ROFL. Hahaha!

Yeah I have no concept of what my 2nd degree tear will be like. My whole nether region is sore. But they did do a lot of stretching during labor and It was very helpful so I knew what I was pushing against. So I didn't do any ahead of time either.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"