December 2010 Moms

Has anyone done a daycare transition lately?

DS is on Day 3 of a new daycare. His old daycare was a small, in-home center. 2 adults, 8-10 kids depending on the day. He was very much loved, doted on, hugged, snuggled, etc. But DH and I didn't agree with certain discipline practices AND they were more expensive than most places. We found a Montessori school we liked and he started there on the 2nd.

Of course, the tears when we leave him (or even walking into the building) are breaking my heart. I'm second-guessing myself. I'm worried he's never going to love it there. I went through this with DD at this exact age, but I've forgotten it. Sad 

Anyone else going through this? Misery loves company, I guess.

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015

Re: Has anyone done a daycare transition lately?

• Ahh, poor little guy!  C moved to a new room in August but has always been at the same DC.  So, we've had periodic sadness though no direct experience such that you've noted.  Hmm, my elementary understanding of Montessori is that it is very much child-directed, correct?  Is it possible that your DS, for now at least, just needs someone at the DC, to be a bit more hands-on, directed-learning with him during the transition?  I guess what I'm thinking is kind of what my DS's morning teacher does with him.  She always greats him with a hug, snuggle-time if needed, chat about what's going on.  Then she chooses either one or two activities she knows that he'll love and starts those with him so he doesn't have to face separating from Mom AND figuring out what to do with himself. 

Our good friends came to our DC from one like you described.  They also described the same feelings/fears that you did.  They actually just had a conversation with the teacher and said "Hey, he got lots of hugs, interaction, etc. at the old place.  Can you make it a point to do that with him?"  They did and it worked well.  

I know it was a hard decision, but I'm sure you made the right one.  Everyone is still new to each other.  He'll find his spot, but maybe just tell the teacher/director exactly what you guys are needed right now to help make the transition?  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will be your company :-(

We are still struggling with A for drop offs. He went from being at home 24/7 with either me or an occasional babysitter to long days at daycare 3 days a week (630-530). Breaks our hearts when we do drop off, and since he hasn't been around kids that much (we do the occasional play dates and play with cousins the same age) its different since those are just a couple hours not all day long. So I feel he just hangs out by himself sad all day waiting for either me or my husband to pick him up. DC says he does ok, although a bit shy. he stopped crying when we come to pick him up, but when we have picked him up he just seems to be "there", not really excited, or playing (unless he's outside, he loves playing outside). My H says its getting a little better in the morning, he has one of the teachers who is consistently coming for him and help his transition for the day.  I keep hoping he'll get better and excited for school and playing. J on the other hand is a breeze for drop off, but he's so young. I'm hoping when he is older and more clingy that A is easier then for drop offs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We transitioned rooms recently.  P still cries in the morning sometimes.  However, she is fine about 2 minutes after we leave.  Also, she doesn't want to leave when it's time to come home. 

I think it seems worse than it actually is.  Sorry mama!

• Ugh.  I'm dreading this.  We are moving at the end of the month and I so hope that he doesn't have a meltdown at a new place.  He did move to a new room recently at his current daycare with a different teacher and LOVED it - new kids, new toys, etc.  I'm hoping I have a kid who embraces change well.  If I've been home with him for awhile though over breaks (teacher), he does go into full meltdown mode in the mornings when I try to leave him.  I'm thinking Monday will be one of those days since we've been home for two weeks now.  I just try to kiss and leave quickly and hope it doesn't last long for the poor dc provider.  I sob a little once I get the car sometimes though. :(   I'm sure it just takes time to get used to the new place.  I'd give it a few more weeks before deciding it isn't working out.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This post makes me sad for you guys....

I WAH and my busy season is approaching in the spring/summer so we're going to have to send DD to daycare and I'm dreading it/dragging my feet.  DH wants her to go now to interact with other kids, but the idea makes me sad.

Last year, we made it work with my mom, DH and our babysitter that came to the house but I doubt it will work this year. 

• waah, I am getting sad reading this too. DS will be starting daycare for the first time this Monday b/c I am returning to work from maternity leave. I have such mixed emotions about it! I know it will be good for him overall, but I am so nervous for him & I just hope he takes to it well.

My biggest worry is nap time since it will be very different than what he is used to (different time, setting & routine). I was just getting some cups & utensils ready by writing his name on them before & I am just filled with such anxiety about this being our new norm. Why can't my baby just stay home with me forever =(

Sorry to hijack the thread. I keep telling myself that any tears he sheds at first will only be temporary & he will just need time to adjust. I'm sure that will be true in your case, too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"