Postpartum Depression

panic attacks and meds in pregnancy

I am currently taking 2mg of Klonopin on an as needed basis for severe panic attacks. My doctor says to go on the lowest dose possible, however, if I am not able to it would be worse to spend the entire pregnancy in a panic state. I know this is  class D drug. Anyone in similar situation? I'm terrified of birth defects, but i'm terrified of these anxiety attacks.  I also take Lexapro which works great for depression but not anxiety.

Re: panic attacks and meds in pregnancy

• No current advice, but I use 2mgs of Klonopin for panic attacks from my PPD/PPA, every night.  To help calm me to sleep.  I am also worried that I will need the meds when I am preggo again.  Like you said...you can't spend your pregnancy a ball of anxiety either.  Just follow your drs orders and use it only as needed. 

Good luck...I know it is hard!  Hugs!

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Im almost 9 weeks and with my first baby i was fine but i had post partum and now i take zoloft. It really helps with anxiety too...It is a risk taking it while pregnant but i think the benefits outweigh the risks. I thought lexapro is similar and also helps with anxiety??
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm struggling with the same thing.  My doctor said if I'm having a really bad day, to go on and take one pill because being anxious all day is a worse risk than the small risk associated with the anxiety pill.  I also take 3 other medications for depression but they do nothing for my anxiety. 

I don't know what the right answer is.  It really is an everyday struggle with me.

• We are heard about antidepressants like lexapro causing brain damage. Problems on kids when the parents this true. We don?t like lexapro birth defects. So stopped similar drug suddenly. It?s very dangerous consequences to talking every medication.
  • Klonopin is generally considered unsafe to take during pregnancy:

"... studies suggested that Klonopin may increase the risk of various birth defects, including cleft palate and limb defects."

You may need to find a different long-term medication to take if the lexapro isn't working for you. I take lexapro for severe anxiety and panic attacks, but it doesn't work for everyone. Maybe ask your psychiatrist to try something else? Zoloft? 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • imagemojahid:
    We are heard about antidepressants like lexapro causing brain damage. Problems on kids when the parents this true. We don?t like lexapro birth defects. So stopped similar drug suddenly. It?s very dangerous consequences to talking every medication.

Um ... yeah. The site you linked is just a crap lead-capture site. Lexapro does not cause brain damage.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"