Health & Exercise

eat healthy and work out..really?

The past few years my weight was up, down, up down...for my wedding, I was in the best shape of my life, skinny minny and super healthy!  After the first year of marriage, weight is now def UP...and now Im preg and gained 10 lbs first trimester (mainly from nausea and eating too many bad carbs for that reason).  In my adult years, I've either been losing weight or gaining... haven't had much time to maintain.  So... I am just feeling frustrated in the idea that I have to work out and eat healthy...but I am still going to gain weight!  The idea seems so abstract!  Basically I need someone to tell me to suck it up and do it for the right reasons and stuff.  I'm in serious need of some motivation!  

Re: eat healthy and work out..really?

• This was a hard idea for me to wrap my head around as well. I had always watched my weight. I think it finally clicked when I was having a conversation with my dad when I was in my first trimester. He said, "Don't look at it like gaining weight. Look at it like you are giving nutrition to your baby so he/she can grow strong and be born as healthy as possible." Everytime I saw the lbs go up on the scale I would remind myself that I am growing a human being and that my desire to be thin MUST come second. You can focus on your weight after your beautiful healthy baby is born....there will be plenty of time to get back in shape! I know it is frustrating but believe me.....having a healthy baby is way cooler than being skinny!

Edit: I hope this didn't sound snarky. I was not meant to be. I definitely know how you feel and can sympathize.

imageimageimage

• I say your motivation for working out during pregnancy should be that once you have the baby and you're looking to lose the baby weight, it will be so much easier to do so.  

Additionally, although I don't think there is "true" scientific evidence behind the claim, since you are in good physical shape you will have the strength and endurance to push, etc. when labor/delivery time rolls around.

Finally, YOU KNOW that exercise is good for you and your baby (decreases risks of GD, high blood pressure, pre-eclampsia and hypertension).  

Despite being exhausted and extremely nauseous during my first 20 weeks, I never regretted a workout once I finished (and still don't).  In fact, it was the only time I didn't feel nauseous.

Good luck.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Just think that everything you eat has certain vitamins and minerals in it to help your baby grow. You want them to have the very best of everything so just suck it up and even if you dont "like" something try to eat it for the benefit of your baby. If I eat something bad (pizza or a desert) I make myself eat some veggies after and realize it was not worth having the bad food. I want to make sure my baby is getting all of the essential nutrients it needs and event though I hate the taste of most of my salads everday I do it for the baby and you know what it's good for me too!

As for exersizing, I was crazy with working out at least 5-6 days a week and now in my first trimester I have taken a step back and am going to do just cardio on the elliptical and take walks 3-4 days a week. I am more tired and getting run down with a cold so I realize I need to take care of myself for the baby but not be excessive about it!

• Definitely worth exercising while pregnant to make it easier to lose the weight after the baby. My son is six months old and I still have weight to lose. I wish I would have worked out while pregnant so it wouldn't be so hard now.

Good luck and just do the best you can. Find the balance between exercise and enjoying your pregnancy. 

• I didn't eat healthy or workout beyond walking while PG.  Of course, I also gained 50 lbs twice (and almost 40 the other).  Maybe if I hadn't, I wouldn't have so much loose skin now.
  • imagejglenn4:

I say your motivation for working out during pregnancy should be that once you have the baby and you're looking to lose the baby weight, it will be so much easier to do so.  

Additionally, although I don't think there is "true" scientific evidence behind the claim, since you are in good physical shape you will have the strength and endurance to push, etc. when labor/delivery time rolls around.

Finally, YOU KNOW that exercise is good for you and your baby (decreases risks of GD, high blood pressure, pre-eclampsia and hypertension).  

Despite being exhausted and extremely nauseous during my first 20 weeks, I never regretted a workout once I finished (and still don't).  In fact, it was the only time I didn't feel nauseous.

Good luck.

I agree. My motivation has been not to gain 55-60 lbs again. I may still gain too much, but at least I'll be used to the workout routine and have an easier time returning to it post-baby. (At least that's what I tell myself.)

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I know its hard but keep at it!!  I haven't stopped exercising this entire pregnancy and it has made me feel really good about all the weight I have gained. I know its healthy baby weight with no "lazy" weight! 

Exercising during this pregnancy has really helped me keep my energy levels somewhat steady as well!  

Speaking of...time for a run! :) GL

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"