Baby Showers
Options

Weird Question...

So I have kind of a weird question, for a different kind of situation....

My sister (step actually) lives in MO (I'm in MD).  She has lots of family out here also, and I would really like to throw her a baby shower....but she cant be at it.  She wont be able to fly out again before the baby is born.  I cant think of any ideas that arent totally stupid!  I was thinking about a sip-and-see, which I may still do, but it wont be able to be until the baby is 6-8 months old.  :(

Any suggestions would be so great! 

brideandgroom4 ceremony20 brideandgroom11

Married 9/8/07

BFP on 12/30/12, EDD 9/6/13, u/s at 8w no HB MMC 2/4/13

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Weird Question...

• Options
    I think it's really sweet you want to throw her a shower. A sip and see is a good "instead of a shower" idea. You can't have a shower without the MTB. :P A baby at 6 or 8 months is a lot more interesting and fun than a newborn anyhow. :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with a sip and see or a meet the baby party at 6 months.  It happens sometimes. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If her family is in MO then most likely she will have a shower there.  Instead of your throwing her  a shower maybe you could "help" with the shower that will be thrown in MO.  When she comes to MD maybe you could host a BBQ.  6-8 months is really too old for a "meet the baby party or a sip and see"...but just making it a get together to meet the new "family" would be nice.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions :)
    brideandgroom4 ceremony20 brideandgroom11

Married 9/8/07

BFP on 12/30/12, EDD 9/6/13, u/s at 8w no HB MMC 2/4/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageEstwd2:
    imagerhubarb123:
    68 months is really too old for a "meet the baby party or a sip and see"...but just making it a get together to meet the new "family" would be nice.
    Says who? I disagree. DD was 5 months old at our MTB party back home. It was still a MTB party because it was literally the first time everyone had met the baby. Sounds like a MTB party will work well for OP's situation.

I completely agree with Estwd2. It could still be a MTB party at 6 to 8 months, especially since it would be the first time family sees the baby. I think it's a great idea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemrsmcdonald:
    imageEstwd2:
    imagerhubarb123:
    68 months is really too old for a "meet the baby party or a sip and see"...but just making it a get together to meet the new "family" would be nice.
    Says who? I disagree. DD was 5 months old at our MTB party back home. It was still a MTB party because it was literally the first time everyone had met the baby. Sounds like a MTB party will work well for OP's situation.
    I completely agree with Estwd2. It could still be a MTB party at 6 to 8 months, especially since it would be the first time family sees the baby. I think it's a great idea.

I guess it would be "meet the whoever you've never seen before party"...but in reality your meeting the "new family".  Meet the baby parties or sip and sees are non-gift giving events (and usually hosted within the first 4-6 weeks) but most people bring gifts.  Seriously, if a kid is 6-8 months old I wouldn't even think of bringing a gift for the "baby".  I just think at that age it is kind of weird/silly to call it a Meet the Baby Party.  JMO

• Options
    imagerhubarb123:

I guess it would be "meet the whoever you've never seen before party"...but in reality your meeting the "new family".  Meet the baby parties or sip and sees are non-gift giving events (and usually hosted within the first 4-6 weeks) but most people bring gifts.  Seriously, if a kid is 6-8 months old I wouldn't even think of bringing a gift for the "baby".  I just think at that age it is kind of weird/silly to call it a Meet the Baby Party.  JMO

My family didn't get to meet my DD until she was a several months old, due to distance. So it was still a MTB party; and they still brought gifts - they were just gifts for a baby her age. I'm not sure why you have trouble understanding this concept.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If you don't have your heart set on throwing a party, spend the money instead of throwing a party on things she needs: like a steady stream of diapers or formula (if she goes that route).  I got a $500 gift card to Target when my LO was born for diapers and it was awesome!

Instead of calling it Meet the Baby, just throw a BBQ.

Or you can throw her a "party in a box" - pack up a bunch of party supplies and ship it to her with some baby gifts or something.  Or if there are gals in her area giving her a shower, see if you can contribute financially to that. 

• Options
    imagemrsmcdonald:
    imagerhubarb123:

My family didn't get to meet my DD until she was a several months old, due to distance. So it was still a MTB party; and they still brought gifts - they were just gifts for a baby her age. I'm not sure why you have trouble understanding this concept.

Oh...I don't have trouble understanding the concept.  I just said in MY opinion it is a bit silly to have an actual "meet the baby party" at 6-8 months.   If you or anyone prefers or wants (for whatever reason) to have a meet a baby party when the baby is almost a toddler fine.  Go for it.  I would just have a BBQ and be done with it.  I already gave other suggestions (what I would do) that others have given as well.

• Options
    Why does it matter what you call it? Have a party. Call it whatever you want. People will love it and will get to meet the baby and fawn all over him/her!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

imagelovebug33:
    Why does it matter what you call it? Have a party. Call it whatever you want. People will love it and will get to meet the baby and fawn all over him/her!

True

• Options

imagelovebug33:

Lol This is the true. Arguing over what to call it is silly. Nobody gets the side eye for bringing or not bringing a gift to a Meet the baby or a BBQ or a get together or whatever. Do something along these lines OP :P

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sip n' See next time she's out is completely appropriate! I vote waiting that long anyway so the baby has had time to develop more of an immune system... People and their grubby hands!

• Options

I had offered to throw a baby shower for my SIL.   She too lived out of state and was planning to fly in for the shower since all of our relatives live here.  However, my SIL got put on modified bed rest and was not allowed to travel prior to her shower.    I knew with a newborn they wouldnt' be coming to visit anytime soon.  So instead of waiting until the baby was born, we had our relatives send gifts to her.  Not ideal, but considering the circumstances and living out of state it worked out okay!

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"