Single Parents

Question for single moms of boys.....

Or anyone that knows a resolution!

Sometimes I don't know what is normal boys fooling around and what is "picking on". There is a little boy at DS daycare that keeps picking on him. He yanks toys from him, while little man is playing with them and taps his head with some of the toys too. I fear that if I "coddle" him about this stuff then he will seem like a wussy, but at times I want to kick the other little boys teeth in.

My question.....what do you say to a 2 year old about this kind of behavior? First time little boy took DS toys I told E "Don't let so and so take your toys". Next day....boy bit him. At times like this I wish I knew how a male would react to this kind of stuff. Mama bear wants to just head down to the daycare and raise hell!

I don't want DS to be a pushover, but because I don't wrestle around with little man I sometimes feel like he might not be "tough" enough either. Advice??? Anyone???

Re: Question for single moms of boys.....

• Why isn't your DCP taking care of this? You pay someone to protect your little one and if it isn't happening then you need to go elsewhere.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live
  • Also I don't have a son but I do have a LO in daycare and I know my DCP regulates when kids are not being nice
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemamastich:
    Why isn't your DCP taking care of this? You pay someone to protect your little one and if it isn't happening then you need to go elsewhere.

Agreed! I would talk to DS's teacher or the daycare director. Behavior like that, while normal, needs to be corrected. At my boys' Mother's Day Out program, the parent has to sign a form every time their kid bites someone, acknowledging that it happened and needs to be addressed.

I have two boys who are 13.5 months apart and when my oldest (just turned 2) behaves that way, he gets one warning (if the behavior isn't too bad), then a time out. Biting, pushing so hard that DS2 falls or any other physically aggressive behavior gets a time out with no warning.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies! I believe its time for a new day care. I did end up talking to the director and she gave me a weird answer......"Sometimes kids this age have a hard time expressing what they want and so they turn to biting. I can give you some booklets I have if you want to read up on it". First, NO....no I don't want to read up on it, my son doesn't bite! I have found a better/nicer daycare anyways, so I'm through with them. Its sad because they (current Daycare) are a pretty well known daycare center.
  • My 2 yr old is in daycare as well and there were 3 days in a row that he got "written up" for bad behavior, pushing, supposedly and taking a toy from someone else.  So this to me is typical behavior with toddlers and I asked the teacher what she did, she said she went over and picked up the other child and paid her attention.  I asked if she corrected my son and told him "we don't push"  I mean this is kinda where kids learn to socialize and intract "appropriately" with peers.  She said she didn't. Next 2 days got written up for pushing.  I go to get him from his room and it looked as if he had been in a bar fight.  He had bruise under one eye, 2 scrapes on each cheek, and a scrape across his nose.  These weren't just scratches, they were like someone really scraped him up.  I askd director if she had seen him she said no, She was surprised he was beaten up that bad.  I said I wanted to know exactly what happened, of course, his teacher that saw this was already gone.Next day I asked and she got a little ruffled and said she didn't see anyone scratch him just saw him push the other child. I said well he prob did it in response to being "attacked". Next day I go in and saw this little girl go right over to him,push him into corner and grab both his cheeks and squeeze.  I told the teacher and she didn't say a thing, so I went over to her and told her not to do that then walked right over and discussed with director.  I know kids get a little hurt, but when your kid is being picked on that's not OK. My boy is definately not "wussy" and I don't coddle him, but your daycare really chould be dealing with this stuff better, just like mine should. I would talk with Director about your concerns.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"