Attachment Parenting
Options

Obnoxious Stranger Comments

Evening, ladies!

Our little family flew across the country tonight to visit my in laws for New Years, and I was in the window seat with DS, DH was next to me, and some guy in his late 50's was in the aisle seat.

DS was playing with the tray in front of me and poking at the window until this man said hello and started asking DH about him. I guess the man's low and loud voice scared DS, because he became fussy and squirmy. It was also already well past his bedtime.

I hushed DS, hummed to him, and tried to snuggle and nurse him under my cover, and the man next to DH said; "oh, let him cry. He'll cry himself to sleep and then he won't bother anyone." Neiher DH nor I responded, but I kept doing what I was doing. Then the man said; "why don't you pass him over to me?" I was switching sides nursing at the time, so DS was briefly out from under the cover. The man looked at him and said; "You don't want to come over here, now do you?"...kind of in that threatening tone that means, you'll have to do something you dislike if you don't behave. DH and I still didn't respond.

Of course, this man speaking directly to DS only made his fussing worse, but within minutes I had snugglewrestled him asleep, and he slept for the duration of the flight and the car ride home.

This crazy incident got me thinking about a fun thread: share your obnoxious stranger encounter stories!
imageimage

Re: Obnoxious Stranger Comments

• Options
    I don't think I've ever received any super obnoxious stranger comments. My family on the other hand...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Options

I had an old lady scold me at Target for having my baby out on a rainy day.  I was just like "huh?".  I mean, he was totally bundled and covered. 

I think it was that thing where old people think you get sick from the rain or cold weather.  I didn't bother arguing with her....you can't fix stupid.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesomebodysmama21:
    Nothing major really but when DD was an infant and we would go out and she would have socks but no shoes. Tons of old people would reprimand me for her not having shoes on.

That is too funny! I was out with DS the other day at the grocery store and had parked super close to the entrance. He had blankets in his carseat, and had pulled his socks off in the car. This is a new fun activity for him...shoes too.

Anyway, I decided to leave the socks off and dart into the store with him. A lady reprimanded me, saying: "That baby has no socks on! It's freezing!" And she went in to the store. DH said that I should have told her that DS pulls off his socks...
    imageimage
  • Options

When people talk to DD but it's really a comment directed towards us is obnoxious. It's one of DH's biggest pet peeves. I've gotten the no socks or shoes comment before. Annoying. An old man told me once her ears would freeze because she didn't have a hat on. It was nearly 70 degrees and sunny and I was only walking from the car into the store.

I got a nice stranger comment the other week though. I was wearing DD in Joanne's fabric store. I don't wear her often as I have back issues but she loves it! An older lady came over to me and asked me about wearing her. "What a wonderful device!" she said. "Did they just come out with those?" She was so sweet and kind :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was on a flight, struggling with keeping my 3 year old happy while I tried to nurse my 5 month old.  A man across the aisle, sitting in the window seat, yelled, "Here!  You can use this to cover up!" as he threw a shirt over the guy next to him toward us.  Um...ew.  I really didn't want someone else's grungy shirt...

A little later, the guy sitting between me and the yelling shirt guy kind of smiled and said, (about my now sleeping baby) "I guess a clean diaper and a full tummy do the trick..."  He was super sweet.

• Options
    The funniest comment I've received was just the other week while out to dinner with a big group of coworkers and my dh. A random waitress came up to my lo and goes "oh, she's so pretty! She has such a nice.... tan". Um, thank you? My African American husband just laughed. Haha
  • Options
    What is it with people and baby feet? I had a lady come up to my LO while I was holding her in the grocery store because she was crying and actually grab her feet and say that she was crying because they were cold.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was at the See Kai Run warehouse sale and there was a long long long line. It would periodically move, and I was with my mom. We'd gotten there early and I had brought my 8 week old DD with me in a carrier. After an hour, baby woke up, so I sat to nurse her on the pavement, while remaining in line. This woman walked by and said to her friend really loudly, "Oh jeez, do we have to breastfeed HERE?!"

She was walking too fast for me to respond, but it ticked me off to a huge extent. Yes, lady. I am going to feed my baby because she is hungry. Obviously there are other places I'd rather be feeding an infant instead of sitting on cold, damp cement in a moving queue. Like I'm doing it to make a point? Thanks for being so heartless and making ME feel like I am doing something wrong. Ugh.

Gets me worked up even to this day. But, I was in line before her and got a bunch more cheap shoes than she did. So there.
  • Options
    We had a really windy day a few weeks ago. There was a Wind advisory for the entire eastern part of the state. I was leaving the mall with my LO in the stroller. He was facing me in the carseat with the canopy up, and the stroller canopy up and they were hooked together so he was 100% covered. I was trying to get through the double doors (with shopping bags and a stroller, and a 50 pound glass door!) and a woman came in and started yelling at me that I couldn't take my baby outside. 

I wanted to be like, "B!tch it's just WIND". She was yelling like there was a tornado or something. 
  • Options
    imageAliciaS1411:
    We had a really windy day a few weeks ago. There was a Wind advisory for the entire eastern part of the state. I was leaving the mall with my LO in the stroller. He was facing me in the carseat with the canopy up, and the stroller canopy up and they were hooked together so he was 100% covered. I was trying to get through the double doors (with shopping bags and a stroller, and a 50 pound glass door!) and a woman came in and started yelling at me that I couldn't take my baby outside. 

I wanted to be like, "B!tch it's just WIND". She was yelling like there was a tornado or something. 

She was right... you should have slept in the mall that night and probably for the next week too, just to be safe...Huh?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Also get lots of socks comments all the time.  I've got one neighbor who insists that she hates shoes on babies whenever she  sees DD with shoes she takes them off, but whenever DD does not have shoes on she comments on how cold her feet must be...

This is my weirdest encounter w/ a stranger... (XP from May 2012)

So... doing the last odds and ends of shopping yesterday...

and This lady comes up to me and starts ohhing and awing over DD. Then she asks me

Crazy Lady: "doesn't your mouth just water when you look at babies?!?"

Me: (thinking hell - no) but wanting to be polite "maybe"

CL: Don't you just want to suck on her cheeks?

(At this point I'm thinking that she means kiss them, but wasn't great with wording)

Me:um... maybe?!?

CL: I used to suck on my babies cheeks all the time. I'd give them hickeys.

Me (slowly backing away): Oh...

CL: Yeah, one time when my girl was 5, I forgot and sucked on her cheek and ended up getting called into the principal's office because she told the teacher that's how she got the bruise.

Me: Oh I've got to go find my husband.....

• Options
    imagetjkdlhb:
    Also get lots ofnbsp;socks comments all the time.nbsp; I've got onenbsp;neighbor who insists that she hates shoes on babies whenever she nbsp;sees DD with shoes she takes them off, but whenever DD does not have shoes on she comments on how cold her feet must be...nbsp;This is my weirdest encounter w/ a stranger... XP from May 2012So... doing the last odds and ends of shopping yesterday...and This lady comes up to me and starts ohhing and awing over DD. Then she asks me Crazy Lady: "doesn't your mouth just water when you look at babies?!?"Me: thinking hell no but wanting to be polite "maybe"CL: Don't you just want to suck on her cheeks?At this point I'm thinking that she means kiss them, but wasn't great with wordingMe:um... maybe?!?CL: I used to suck on my babies cheeks all the time. I'd give them hickeys.Me slowly backing away: Oh... CL: Yeah, one time when my girl was 5, I forgot and sucked on her cheek and ended up getting called into the principal's office because she told the teacher that's how she got the bruise. Me: Oh I've got to go find my husband.....

Ok, you win. Hands down.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Bump burp.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I've gotten scolded about hats but mostly I would say I give off the unapproachable vibe so I don't think I get many comments because of that.

I'm still chuckling over the strange hickey lady.
    Pg with #2
  • Options

imagebluejayway:
    I was at the See Kai Run warehouse sale and there was a long long long line. It would periodically move, and I was with my mom. We'd gotten there early and I had brought my 8 week old DD with me in a carrier. After an hour, baby woke up, so I sat to nurse her on the pavement, while remaining in line. This woman walked by and said to her friend really loudly, "Oh jeez, do we have to breastfeed HERE?!" She was walking too fast for me to respond, but it ticked me off to a huge extent. Yes, lady. I am going to feed my baby because she is hungry. Obviously there are other places I'd rather be feeding an infant instead of sitting on cold, damp cement in a moving queue. Like I'm doing it to make a point? Thanks for being so heartless and making ME feel like I am doing something wrong. Ugh. Gets me worked up even to this day. But, I was in line before her and got a bunch more cheap shoes than she did. So there.

that lady is ridiculous,  she was shocked that you were breastfeeding in a lineup to buy small childrens shoes???  dont get me wrong, i think anywhere that is an appropriate place for a baby is an appropriate place to nurse, but shock over nursing in a line for kids shoes seems like she was kind of stupid.

• Options
    imageEmerald27:
    imagetjkdlhb:
    Also get lots ofnbsp;socks comments all the time.nbsp; I've got onenbsp;neighbor who insists that she hates shoes on babies whenever she nbsp;sees DD with shoes she takes them off, but whenever DD does not have shoes on she comments on how cold her feet must be...nbsp;This is my weirdest encounter w/ a stranger... XP from May 2012So... doing the last odds and ends of shopping yesterday...and This lady comes up to me and starts ohhing and awing over DD. Then she asks me Crazy Lady: "doesn't your mouth just water when you look at babies?!?"Me: thinking hell no but wanting to be polite "maybe"CL: Don't you just want to suck on her cheeks?At this point I'm thinking that she means kiss them, but wasn't great with wordingMe:um... maybe?!?CL: I used to suck on my babies cheeks all the time. I'd give them hickeys.Me slowly backing away: Oh... CL: Yeah, one time when my girl was 5, I forgot and sucked on her cheek and ended up getting called into the principal's office because she told the teacher that's how she got the bruise. Me: Oh I've got to go find my husband.....
     Ok, you win. Hands down.

THIS! Oh my gosh! LOL
  • Options
    imagetjkdlhb:

Also get lots of socks comments all the time.  I've got one neighbor who insists that she hates shoes on babies whenever she  sees DD with shoes she takes them off, but whenever DD does not have shoes on she comments on how cold her feet must be...

This is my weirdest encounter w/ a stranger... (XP from May 2012)

So... doing the last odds and ends of shopping yesterday...

and This lady comes up to me and starts ohhing and awing over DD. Then she asks me

Crazy Lady: "doesn't your mouth just water when you look at babies?!?"

Me: (thinking hell - no) but wanting to be polite "maybe"

CL: Don't you just want to suck on her cheeks?

(At this point I'm thinking that she means kiss them, but wasn't great with wording)

Me:um... maybe?!?

CL: I used to suck on my babies cheeks all the time. I'd give them hickeys.

Me (slowly backing away): Oh...

CL: Yeah, one time when my girl was 5, I forgot and sucked on her cheek and ended up getting called into the principal's office because she told the teacher that's how she got the bruise.

Me: Oh I've got to go find my husband.....

LOL 

::applauds for winner::

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Two "special" ones come to mind immediately.

#1: When DD1 was about 3 months old, we had gone to the grocery store in our neighborhood. The girls that work there know us and were chatting about DD and asking DH and I how things were going. An older lady comes up, gets right in DD's face and says "Good luck, sweet child, you've been born into a horrible world" and then walked away. Ummmm...... *crickets*

#2: When DD1 was about 10 months, we were on vacation in Newport Beach with DH's family. Walking back to our hotel from dinner, a woman passed me on the street, stops me, and asks if she can BORROW DD for an hour or two. Sure, crazy lady. I have no problem giving things away; need a pen? a tampon? want my kid? Okie dokie.

Luckily DD2 has yet to experience the crazies, but I'm sure it will happen in time. Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Loss #1 (missed miscarriage) 14 weeks Loss #2 (missed miscarriage) 10 weeks Loss #3 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #4 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #5 (chemical pregnancy)
  • Options
    When dd1 was 81/2 months old we took her to an outdoor concert. She was almost walking at that point and was getting kind of antsy. I walked behind her holding both of her hands when some crazy old lady came up to me and said, "she looks a little unstable." I was like, umm yeah she's 8 1/2 months old and she's just learning how to take a few steps by herself, while thinking in my head, duh lady don't you see me walking behind her holding onto her hands?!? Then the lady says, "well, my grandaughter is 14 months old and walks wwwwaaaayyyy better than your daughter!" Me dumbfounded, "umm good for her?" WTH?
  • Options

imagefairbl:
    When dd1 was 81/2 months old we took her to an outdoor concert. She was almost walking at that point and was getting kind of antsy. I walked behind her holding both of her hands when some crazy old lady came up to me and said, "she looks a little unstable." I was like, umm yeah she's 8 1/2 months old and she's just learning how to take a few steps by herself, while thinking in my head, duh lady don't you see me walking behind her holding onto her hands?!? Then the lady says, "well, my grandaughter is 14 months old and walks wwwwaaaayyyy better than your daughter!" Me dumbfounded, "umm good for her?" WTH?

LMAO! 

• Options

imagefairbl:

LMAO! 

• Options
    I was holding my 3.5 month old baby. He probably weighed about 14.5 pounds at that point and he's really chubby. This lady comes up and says, "what a cute baby, he's sooo tiny! Was he just born?" I said no, he's 3 months old. So she says, "but he's so tiny! Was he a preemie?" I just shook my head. She clearly hasn't been around too many newborns if she thinks they come out weighing 14 pounds.
  • Options
    Oh lord where do I begin? Let's see..there was that time when my oldest was about four months and we went to an all you can eat buffet. I got up to refill my plate and DH stayed with baby. The busboy was looking at the baby and said "he looks Chinese. He Chinese?" (Mind you, we are both Hispanic and none of us look Asian at all). My husband said no. The guy walked away and came back when I sat down and said "he look Chinese" in an accusatory manner. Thank God my husband does not question my fidelity!Then I had someone come up to me while babywearing and ask me "isn't he uncomfortable?" When baby was sleeping peacefully. Also had some lady ask me if his spine was bent and how was I going to handle his bowleggedness.When I was pregnant with my second, I was at a little corner store and this lady (she looked like the lovechild of Dolly Parton, the Joker from the last Batman movie, and Martha Stewart. She was REALLY scary looking) starts following me up and down the aisles and when I thought I was free of her, she gets in my face and starts telling me how great she is at taking care of kids and how she has been watching them for years and I could leave my baby with her when I gave birth for her to watch when I went back to work. I told her I had someone lined up and left the store quickly.
  • Options
    My daughter was born with Hip Dysplasia and hers was more serious than usual so she had to be in a leg brace for 8 months. The brace went around her waist and then basically kept her legs in the splits position 24/7. I had NUMEROUS people come up to me in grocery stores mainly during that time and say "What happened to her!!!!????". It was so annoying because their tone was clear that they thought I wasn't attentive and dropped her down a flight of stairs or something. 
  • Options
    Oh wow! Thank you! I needed some good humor this morning!!! These are great!
  • Options

I've had the sock and hat comments too - seriously annoying especially when DD will NOT tolerate a hat on her head and more often than not will pull any socks off too. Whatever. 

Then I still remember when DD was about 3 weeks old, we were in the mall and I had gone to change her diaper in the restroom. Came out, wrestling a wriggly baby, huge diaper bag and cumbersome travel system and this old lady came over and asked how old DD was and then proceeded to tell me (via talking to DD) that she was way too small to be out like this. Um yeah lady, I'll just stay at home with my baby 24/7 for the first year then, shall I? Stupid cow.

When DD was still very small I had quite a few people ask me whether she was comfortable in the sling - always when she was sleeping too. Felt like saying 'do you think she'd be asleep if she was uncomfy??'.

The other day I was wearing DD and she was a bit fussy as it was close to nap time, so some lady comes up and says to DD - 'yeah you don't like being held like that, do you?' 

I swear people are getting more stupid by the day. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"