Single Parents
Options

Opinions Please....

As of Monday ill be back in school Mon-Thurs 830-230(I only have 5wks left of school). After the 5wks ill start externship(which will take place of school)I'm in school to be a Medical Assistant. Anyways I already work Fri, Sat, Sun 8-3 at my job which is at a local grocery store. I really want to move before the baby is born, I currently live in a 2 bedroom apartment with this being baby number 4 I desperately need a bigger place. I'm thinking of applying at a local sub shop to work 3 nights a week 3-9. I used to work for this sub shop company just at a different location for 4yrs. So I think I have a good chance of being hired even with being pregnant. With 3 kids, work and school I'm already pretty busy. In order to move I'm going to need more income. Should I get the 2nd job at the sub shop and finish school so I can move before the baby is born? Which means a lot of my free time will be taken up. Or should I just work my normal job, finish school and move after the baby is born once maternity leave is up? Either way ill be looking for a full time Medical Assistant job while on Maternity leave. I know you guys can't tell me "what" to do, I'm just curious what others would do if you were in this situation? Thanks in advance!

-Kate 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Opinions Please....

• Options

I second the hold off to move vote, for a few reasons:

1. Make school your priority.  You mentioned you only have a few more weeks of classes, and a pending externship.  I would not add more to your workload right now -- particularly should your externship be demanding or time-intensive.  Focus on finishing strong and passing your remaining classes with flying colors. 

2. You mention needing money to move -- but with a new baby about to be born, I think it would be wise to have some money put aside in an emergency reserve as opposed to being used up in first/last month's rent or a security deposit.  God forbid something go wrong, but if you encounter any complications with L&D, require ambulance transport, NICU care, etc you'll want those funds available to make an initial payment on medical bills. 

3. Are the wages from a sub shop honestly worth it?  How much are you paying for childcare during the hours you're away working?  I feel like the gains from an entry-level gig like this would be minimal.  It doesn't add to your career goals to work extra hours making sandwiches; you're already employed part time at the grocery store so that indicates to future employers you're a hirable candidate.  Unless the 2nd job were in a relevant field that will immediately improve your resume and applicable work experience toward your medical career, I don't see a good reason to spend time and energy there. 

It might mean more sacrifices in the short-term to get what you want long-term, but I've seen a lot of friends get stuck in "temporary" dead-end jobs while in school, which wind up crippling them because at the end of their 2 shifts they're too tired to focus on effectively job-hunting for the career position they want -- even after they earn their degree and might be qualified to compete.  If you take the time you would have spent working, and use it instead to attend professional events, network in your field, go above and beyond your externship requirements, and impress what could be a future employer, then the lost wages will be easily recovered once you've got a higher-paying position in your field.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"