November 2012 Moms

Bottle refusal

Anyone else dealing with this? I'm at my wit's end. I booked an appt with a LC for Wednesday. I feel like I'm bashing my head against the wall.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bottle refusal

• We had to try several different brands to find one D would take. Even then he feeds, pushes it out, repeatedly.  But it mimics the way he BF so I figured that was as good as it was going to get for him.

Sorry to hear you are struggling. I hope it gets easier soon. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • sort of, but I have a very colicky and gassy LO that confuses hunger with gas, or needs milk to sooth reflux pain...I'm not sure. She'll spit the breast and bottle out during these long, long crying sessions during which she roots.

When she isn't suffering the wages of colic and gas, she takes the bottle really well - but does particularly well with Tommee Tippee bottles. They were given to us, but out LCs told us that they work well for kids that show a strong preference for nursing. 

Many of my friends recommend the platex bottles with the bag - apparently the nipples on those are super easy to adjust to as well.

• Loading the player...
  • My girl wouldn't take one if she wasn't lying down.She also used to refuse them from me, at least when they were formula bottles. Oh, and she prefers a low-flow nipple. So, she takes a Dr Brown's bottle from her dad, in a mostly lying down position.

(great name btw :))

• imageCarolynTheRed:
    My girl wouldn't take one if she wasn't lying down.She also used to refuse them from me, at least when they were formula bottles. Oh, and she prefers a lowflow nipple. So, she takes a Dr Brown's bottle from her dad, in a mostly lying down position. great name btw :

;
    Thanks
    I've tried 3 different bottles. Many different people have tried giving her the bottle, but mostly my DH as it isn't a very pleasant task. I called to make an appt with a Lactation consultant as we are both just really frustrated and I'd just prefer to get professional help at this point. I feel like we have really tried everything. When she's hungry, when she's not. In the middle of a feeding. In the morning. At night. In the afternoon. A dream feed. It's all been a big fail. I'm super stressed about returning to work. Thankfully I have another month I'm taking off without pay, but I can't take another month of this stress. If the LC helps it will be well worth the money.
  • just as a thought - a friend of mine had a baby in nicu for a long time. They had problems feeding him, so the hospital issued them these funny little bottles with tubing that they strapped to their finger. They then inserted the finger in the child's mouth, and the baby would suck the tube and finger at the same time. My SIL had something similar, but the hospital strapped the tubing to her chest so she could mimic breast feeding. I'm not sure what this device is called, but I also saw them at the hospital where I delivered. Maybe your obgyn or gp or lc will have a lead on them?
  • I could have written this post!

We've tried two different bottles & 4 kinds of formula and she won't. take. any. of. it. It is incredibly frustrating! It's nursing or nothing, apparently. And I really hate being the sole feeder. I just need her to take a bottle once a day - that's enough to give me a break. 

Maybe I'll try the Tommy Tippee bottles next... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"