International Bumpies

I'm worried dd isn't really American

I made her pumpkin pie and she was 'eh'  had a few bites - but wasn't fussed

I let her try the whipped cream too and she thought it was 'yucky'

last night I made sweet potatoes with brown sugar & marshmellows and she also said it was 'yucky' (and to be honest it was a bit OTT for me too, I'm not used to potatoes being so sweet anymore!)

at least she liked the pumpkin bars I made & brought to daycare (actually had a few requests to bring in the recipe)

but lol how can my kid not like whipped cream?!?!

I guess she just doesn't like sweet tastes, not a bad thing for sure, I guess I'm just glad she TRIED the pie :)

Re: I'm worried dd isn't really American

• I feel ya!

My American baby (18 months) won't eat potatoes or french fries (sometimes we go to McDonalds to the playground).  What American does not eat white potatoes?!?!?! 

• My kids had to be bribed to eat pumpkin pie with lots of squirty cream. :P We're having Thanksgiving dinner in a mo, so we'll se how it goes.

TG aside, I wonder sometimes. I wnet into W's Reception class yesterday to talk about thanksgiving and it felt weird for it to be about 'them' and I realised even W, who will say he's both American and British, really thinks about it as another person's holiday...

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
  • Loading the player...
  • I would make such a bad American. I don't like pumpkin anything, or peanut butter.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageBlushingMama:
    I would make such a bad American. I don't like pumpkin anything, or peanut butter.
    This is me!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • imageMouseInLux:
    imageBlushingMama:
    I would make such a bad American. I don't like pumpkin anything, or peanut butter.
    This is me!!
    OMG you guys are crazy!!! j/k :) I don't miss much 'American' stuff anymore, but I do LOVE anything peanut butter flavored & gosh I love baked stuff with pumpkin in it - if I could cheaply buy the canned stuff I'd make it much more often - but cooking the green pumpkins we have here just doesn't taste the same

you know another thing I miss? Grape flavored stuff - that totally fake purple grape flavor of soda, gum, etc etc - I just don't like blackcurrant - the kind of equivalent here. Also purple grape juice - I'm sure I've never seen that here :(

• imageAmericanInOz:

imageMouseInLux:
    imageBlushingMama:
    This is me!!
    OMG you guys are crazy!!! j/k :) I don't miss much 'American' stuff anymore, but I do LOVE anything peanut butter flavored & gosh I love baked stuff with pumpkin in it - if I could cheaply buy the canned stuff I'd make it much more often - but cooking the green pumpkins we have here just doesn't taste the same

you know another thing I miss? Grape flavored stuff - that totally fake purple grape flavor of soda, gum, etc etc - I just don't like blackcurrant - the kind of equivalent here. Also purple grape juice - I'm sure I've never seen that here :(

So you love all the American thing I don't understand :)

Oh and I LOVVE blackcurrant! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • If it helps at all, I gave my very American DS living in the US whipped cream last week and he spit it out!  He also hates white potatoes, go figure.  See, we really do need to move!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • give her regular sweet potatoes. I hate when ppl take healthy foods and jazz it up with a bunch of crap
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Given that this post was from before Thanksgiving and sweet potato caserole with brown sugar, pecans, and marshmallows are a relatively common dish that is served in the US on Thanksgiving, I don't see how giving an admonishment for not giving the kid a regular sweet potato is relevant to a post with an overall point of "my kid doesn't like stereotypical American holiday foods".
  • Lol you gotta love how ott people can be on thebump: she eats and loves regular sweet potatoes, this was just a special thanksgiving day meal like the pp said!!!!! Ha ha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"