December 2012 Moms
Options

Why do people not understand I have a schedule for my baby!?

I am so frusterated with people thinking they don't have to follow my schedules I have set for our baby. Are they coming home with us to deal Witt the baby not wantng to be put down because you held them ALL day!? Grrr 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Why do people not understand I have a schedule for my baby!?

• Options
    How old is your baby?  It's really hard to spoil a newborn, and I don't think the reason they want to be held is because they were held earlier in the day... they just want to be held.  It's a newborn.  I'm all for doing a schedule, but maybe the reason people aren't following your schedule is because it's not good for a newborn to be on a schedule.  
  • Options

wow, a schedule? as soon as I think my baby is on a schedule, she changes it up. I am not worrying about a schedule at this point because there are so many changes. I am just responding to her needs. I have read many times that what your newborn needs is to be held along with being fed and changed and to sleep. I think it is extremely important for them to be held a lot.

I am sorry that people aren't following your schedule, but they probably want to hold the baby because they are so excited. Try to remember that. We have seen a lot of the family with the holidays and I was hoping they would all want to hold her and most did. And she was fine. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ummm newborns want to be held because they want to bond with you...

I understand a feeding and/or sleeping schedule, but a "holding" schedule? I find to be crazy.

Please elaborate more if I'm missing what you're saying.

• Options
    I can understand wanting LO to be on a schedule; especially if you are going back to work early on. I think the feeding frequency guidelines are exactly that, guidelines rather than being set in concrete. I thought we sort of had a schedule when we came home and had started getting settled, but that didn't last long as LO hit her 2 or 3 week growth spurt and started having what feels like crazy long feedings and will only sleep for any periods if held.

In terms of schedules though, a friends daughter was in the NICU her first month and a half of her life and was on a schedule when she came home. That schedule was pretty much stuck with and the mom friend appreciated it. Her daughter was also being formula fed which lasts longer in the tummy than breast milk and will help LO sleep for longer stretches.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My baby is on a schedule - one she pretty much set herself, but she basically eats every 2.5 to 3 hours, is awake a little bit and then naps.  We never really have problems because she'll nap with people holding her.

What kind of schedule do you have for your baby?

I actually have found the issue of other people understanding the need for a schedule to get tougher as kids get older and are taking one or two scheduled naps a day and have a bedtime.  My in-laws seem to think that taking one nap in the middle of the day is the same for my toddler as him taking a nap in the morning and in the afternoon and as a result when they take him I always get back a very crabby child.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    Your LO wants to be held because they were held snug and warm in your body for 9 months straight.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Options

Our LO in 4 weeks old and I'm not saying she is on a strict schedule, sorry it was the heat of the moment when I posted this. I love snuggling my baby girl, but when she falls asleep I try to put her in her crib, swing or on her boppy pillow. And when she needs to be fed we do it a certain way soo she isnt snuggled to much where she drinks a little and falls asleep. I know LO's don't need a strict schedule but I am going back to work at 8weeks and would like to have some sort of routine.

she gets plenty of snuggle/play time and interaction. I just don't want a baby that will only sleep when someone is holding her. 

• Options
    Sorry I was so quick to judge...  sounds reasonable!
  • Options
    imageandrea.berg07:

she gets plenty of snuggle/play time and interaction. I just don't want a baby that will only sleep when someone is holding her. 

agreed if my mother in law doesn't get this soon I'm going to go crazy on her. I would say I've been trying the same when LO falls alseep in my arms to try to get her more used to sleeping in crib and such. -minus the times I'm falling asleep feeding her at night :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"