August 2012 Moms
Options

Bf moms

I am still feeding DS every 2 hours unless he happens to take a long nap. Most feedinga throughout the day are 2 hours apart. He seems to get fussy about that time. Shouldn't we be spreading it out a little more by now?? When he is with the sitter and taking pumped milk in a bottle he will be fine waiting longer. Some people have said he may just smell me and get hungry. What do you guys think?

Re: Bf moms

• Options
    I'm in a similar position. Am feeding every two hours unless she naps decently. I was thinking of trying to space her out more but after her 4 mo appt I am a little worried since she's on the small side at 13lbs
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Just recently LO started nursing every 2.5-3 hours, but it used to be 2-2.5. 

In the past when my mom would watch her she would eat around every 3 hours, but closer to 2 for me, maybe she just knew food was near!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    According to my bff who nursed all 3 of her kids, they can smell you. They may not be really hungry but knowing you're closer by they'll start to crying. Even though I pump he knows I'm near and recognizes the pump. So when I sit down to start he'll start to get fussy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD takes both the breast and bottles and no matter what she still goes every 2 hours (except at night where she eats once after 7-9 hours).  Sometimes she'll go 2.5 hours if we're out and about or I can keep her occupied.  She eats 4-5oz bottles.

Does your LO maybe take bottles larger than 5oz?  Most BF babies only get 4-5oz from the breast, whereas they might take more from a bottle since it's faster.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageGrins04:
    DD takes both the breast and bottles and no matter what she still goes every 2 hours except at night where she eats once after 79 hours.nbsp; Sometimes she'll go 2.5 hours if we're out and about or I can keep her occupied.nbsp; She eats 45oz bottles.Does your LO maybe take bottles larger than 5oz?nbsp; Most BF babies only get 45oz from the breast, whereas they might take more from a bottle since it's faster. nbsp;

He usually eats between 46oz each time. That could be that he is getting more from the bottle
  • Options

imageLoveLo2010:
    I'm in a similar position. Am feeding every two hours unless she naps decently. I was thinking of trying to space her out more but after her 4 mo appt I am a little worried since she's on the small side at 13lbs

This is where I am at. He was under 12lbs at his appt. 

I think it's normal for BFed babies to want to eat often at this age. The feedings will spread out more when they become more active and too busy to eat all day.

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • Options

imageLoveLo2010:

We are on the very small side at 10 lbs so I am trying to tell myself it's okay to give her formula.  The doctor wasn't worried but I would like to see if the formula helps her gain. We are still every 2 hours during the day and 4 hours at night. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I EBF and c is 20 lbs 3 oz and eats every two hours during the day... Occasionally three if we are running errands and he is distracted... Overnight is very unpredictable still. Most of the time we get a long stretch now of four hours followed by nursing every 1 to 2 hours until he get up for the day around 6:30. I don't mind every two hours during the day, but longer stretches at night would definitely be welcome around here!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My son is EBF and eats every 3.5 to 4 hours and sometimes goes up to 6 hours between feedings at night although that's very rare. At his 4 month well check a couple of weeks ago he was 16lbs. He seemed to put himself on this feeding schedule naturally I don't give any bottles, use a pump, or enforce a strict schedule.
  • Options

I feed on demand and only hold out on him if I know he's not actually eating, even then I'll give in if he's really sad(which happens a lot now since he's teething and has a cold).

There's probably the psychological thing that makes him want to eat if he sees you, but I don't see the problem with that.

• Options
    Every 2 hours seems pretty average.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    DD eats every 2 hours breast or bottle from 7:30 am to 8 pm. Doesn't matter how long she feeds or how many ozs.

TTC#2 with PCOS & secondary infertility 03/09

4 rounds of Clomid and 4 rounds of Femara, 5 rounds of IUIs w/injectables

Laparoscopy Nov 11 - During my surgery they found that my left ovary, fallopian tube, and uterus was attached to my stomach wall right below my belly button and there was a ton of tons of scare tissue which they removed.

BFP- Christmas morning 9 DPO (via IUI w/injectables)

Beta #1 11 DPO is 81 12/27. Beta #2 18 DPO is 2,414 1/3

u/s: 1/10 Sac, 1/17 saw/heard the heart beat 130, 1/24 everything looks good. 2/2 last one with RE saw arms moving and heard the heart beat 178. 2/28 for NT scan every looks great, hb 133. Big u/s 4/24. C-section 8/31! image image Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Maya has Vesicoureteral reflux (VU reflux) in both kidneys.
  • Options
    Someone else posted something similar like a week or two ago and I said this "My life got so much better when I accepted the fact that LO eats every 2 hours".  If you stop expecting every 3-4 hrs you'll be much happier! lol..  Its very normal for BF babies to go 2 hrs between feeding for their whole BF period.  Sorry, but its true and you should just change your mentality now!  :)

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"