Working Moms
Options

Settle a debate for me! Children in First Class?

I personally think that if a child, even a toddler or baby, is well- behaved it is fine to upgrade to First Class with them in their own seat on a flight.  And I know children can be unpredictable. 

My friend thinks kids should never be allowed in First Class, regardless of how they behave.  Thoughts? 

DH and I travel a lot mainly in Coach on flights, but try to upgrade whenever possible.  We're just wondering what others think. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Settle a debate for me! Children in First Class?

• Options
    We got upgraded with DS when he was 18m and a lap baby, and he did great. We got major stink eye and huffs and puffs when we boarded, but on the way off, we got a lot of compliments about how good he was.

It was really nice to have the extra space and extra attention from the flight attendants, but not sure if we'd do it again because we were so nervous he would have a melt down. I think if your kid is old enough to have predictable behavior and is a good flyer, it's ok, but would not want to have a screaming/whining/seat kicking kid in first really not fair to passengers who have paid a lot for a more relaxing flight.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree w/ pp- I don't really fly first class b/c I can't afford the ticket and we don't travel enough to earn upgrades & whatnot but I'd be pretty pissed if a screaming/kicking toddler were in there behind me when I paid for it or esp for a long flight. I think that most ppl can predict how their child will behave but what if LO has an ear infection you don't know about until you start to go up in the air or if LO is normally well behaved but then happens to be sick or something when you travel, overtired, etc. I personally wouldn't take either of my kids in first class until they are of an age where they are predictable & can be trusted to control themselves & you can reason with them- like over 5 at least I would say, depending on the kid, maybe older (I could see my son still being a wreck at 5).

But I don't think I agree with your friend that children should 'never' be allowed in first class... (and what age is she talking about anyway? What about a 10 yr old?)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagegroovygrl:

I agree w/ pp- I don't really fly first class b/c I can't afford the ticket and we don't travel enough to earn upgrades & whatnot but I'd be pretty pissed if a screaming/kicking toddler were in there behind me when I paid for it or esp for a long flight. I think that most ppl can predict how their child will behave but what if LO has an ear infection you don't know about until you start to go up in the air or if LO is normally well behaved but then happens to be sick or something when you travel, overtired, etc. I personally wouldn't take either of my kids in first class until they are of an age where they are predictable & can be trusted to control themselves & you can reason with them- like over 5 at least I would say, depending on the kid, maybe older (I could see my son still being a wreck at 5).

But I don't think I agree with your friend that children should 'never' be allowed in first class... (and what age is she talking about anyway? What about a 10 yr old?)

No. I think she was referring to younger kids (like 2-5 or so) because that is what we both have.  I do agree that I wouldn't want a yelling/kicking kid in FC with me either. 

Thanks for the opinions, ladies.  This might be something we wait a few more years to do, until DD is a bit more predictable. 

• Options

Even before kids - this is so a topic that I just didn't care about.  Kids on planes in general, that is.  Kids cry- it happens.  You roll with it and just feel bad for the parents

I don't know, if I flew first class, that I'd really care ALL that much.  Planes aren't that big.  You have a kid in the ver first row of coach?  You're going to hear them anyhow. 

*shrug*

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

I think it depends on the kid- age and dependability of behavior are factors. And honestly, it's not just crying or kicking- things like spilling snacks everywhere, chattering loudly nonstop about monster trucks to random person next to you, up 87 times to the potty, etc are examples of things that are really irritating to non-parents, and if your kid does those things I think it's rude to have them in first class where people pay more for comfort and quiet.

If the kid can behave though, why not? It's no different from an adult.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

If the parents pay for it, why not?  

I used to fly quite a bit for work, and would get frequent upgrades.  I met some real jerks in first class (drunks, entitled snots, etc), and would much rather sit next to a kid, frankly.  

I've also traveled quite a bit with my DDs (6 mo and 7 yo), so I know it can be a challenge, but on the flight this morning my baby was better behaved the the witch in the seat next to us who got upset when I asked nicely to put the armrest down so I could use it to help support my arm while I nursed.

• Options
    The only way I'm ever taking a child on a plane is if I know for certain they can handle it and so I would definitely take first class if I could.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options

imageitsmevkb:
    The only way I'm ever taking a child on a plane is if I know for certain they can handle it and so I would definitely take first class if I could.
    But how do you know they can handle it until you actually try it? 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Of course, Like pp said, it's first class, not adult class!
  • Options

imageEstwd2:
    I can see both sides of this. Of course no one wants a fussy toddler near them on a long flight, especially if you've paid out the asss for a nice seat. But if it's not an adults only section, then shut up and deal. They paid for the seat just like you. If I ever win the lottery or by some miracle there's a free upgrade, I'd gladly take a first class seat with DD. Even if she weren't as well behaved as she is, I'd do it. A fussy kid will be easier to control in a bigger space and annoy less people. And if I'm going to have sympathy for anybody on an airplane, it's the people crammed in Coach, NOT the lucky ones in first class.

I agree with all of this!  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned first class is for bigger seats, better service, first off flight, etc.  Unless there is a specific policy against children in first class I don't see any issue.  I also don't see why money or miles should give you immunity to the human reality of (sometimes crying) kids.  We all have some place to go.  We're all paying customers.  Get over it.  I've seen plenty of adults behaving badly on airplanes!
  • Options

imageLibraryChica:
    Air planes are public transport so if someone wants to buy a firstclass ticket for their kid, more power to them. I don't imagine I'd want a screaming toddler next to me in firstclass, but I don't want a screaming toddler next to me in coach, either. Perseinally, I feel if you don't want to risk upset children or the other foibles of public transport then you need to find another way of getting to your destination.

My thoughts exactly. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We've been upgraded to first class with our 2 and they did great.  Like pp, we got stink eye and all that when we arrived in first class but we were complimented when leaving on how great our kids were.  I think I would have considered refusing the upgrade with DS between 1 and 3 because he was AWFUL during landing because he hated having the DVD player turned off.  Personally, I think that as long as parents use that discretion, it's all good.  I also think that if coach wasn't quite so cramped, I wouldn't be quite so tempted to upgrade even with a whiney kid if I could reach stuff more easily.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    We flew from Atlanta to Seattle with a 2 yo and 9 mth old last year in first class. We Ickes the seats in the last rows of first class. It was so nice having extra room and more attention. And my boys were way better behaved then the 50 year old drunk guy who threw a 2 year old like tantrum when the flight attendant refused to serve him any more boozes. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Eh, it's not like first class is sound proof, so you'd be able to hear a screaming baby anyways even if it were sitting in coach.  I've flown first class before, although not since having DD, and if it was a long international flight, I'd definitely pay for more room and extra service.  I don't really care what the other passengers think. 
  • Options

Eh, people give you the side eye where ever you sit on the plane with kids.  Its a public space, so no matter how much money you've spent to be there you still have to deal with the public, no matter what age or temperment.

Yes, if given a free upgrade I would totally take my kids into first class.

• Options

imagejennynorene:
    As far as I'm concerned first class is for bigger seats, better service, first off flight, etc.  Unless there is a specific policy against children in first class I don't see any issue.  I also don't see why money or miles should give you immunity to the human reality of (sometimes crying) kids.  We all have some place to go.  We're all paying customers.  Get over it.  I've seen plenty of adults behaving badly on airplanes!

I agree.   On domestic flights I think most of the people are up there due to free upgrades due to airline status so they have not paid cash for those seats.  If I could either afford First Class or got upgraded I would take it with my kid.

About 4 years ago a bunch of us from work were on the same flight.  We were all in coach and all of the men about died laughing because I got in the row with a mom and her 9-10 month old next to me.  Halfway through the flight they looked and I had the baby and was playing with it and talking with him while the mom was sorting things out in the diaper bag so she could feed him.  On a flight you can be a meanie and resent the mom with a baby or you can show her some kindness and hopefully help her prevent a meltdown. 

• Options
    When DD was 9mo we flew from Cali to NY first class. I mainly did it because of the bigger seats and also since we had a layover we had access to the lounge. I got plenty of dirty looks but she actually behaved pretty well. I wouldnt do it again for a few reasons. The bathroom with the changing table is at the back of the plane so its a pain but the main issue is the quiet factor. On our way home i had loaded Mickey Mouse on my iphone plus got her a few new toys just in case. Well idk that you cant use any of that in first class unless you use ear buds/headphones which isnt something a baby understands. So i was stuck with no way to entertain her. Luckily she only cried the last like 30min of the flight home but it was horribly stressful for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • Options
    imageDarbie914:

imagejennynorene:

100% this. 

Thanks for this! This was my thought process. You're right. It's not the luxurious experience it used to be. I fly every two-three weeks and First Class upgrades are free for me if avaialbe. DD is a frequent flyer already. She's flown about 20 times since she was 5 weeks old. She's a super well-behaved toddler at this point. I just think since we give the airlines so much money as it is, we have every right for more space, comfort and better service as some businessman does.
  • Options

imagePayolaCrayola:
    When DD was 9mo we flew from Cali to NY first class. I mainly did it because of the bigger seats and also since we had a layover we had access to the lounge. I got plenty of dirty looks but she actually behaved pretty well. I wouldnt do it again for a few reasons. The bathroom with the changing table is at the back of the plane so its a pain but the main issue is the quiet factor. On our way home i had loaded Mickey Mouse on my iphone plus got her a few new toys just in case. Well idk that you cant use any of that in first class unless you use ear buds/headphones which isnt something a baby understands. So i was stuck with no way to entertain her. Luckily she only cried the last like 30min of the flight home but it was horribly stressful for me.

This isn't true for U.S. Air.  I flew yesterday and there was a changing table in the first class bathroom. 

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

imageitsmevkb:
    But how do you know they can handle it until you actually try it? 

My 18 month old cries whenever he's told no and he can't sit still for more than 5 minutes at a stretch.  I know with 100% certainty that he's not ready for air travel.  This past summer my 6 and 3 year-olds took their first flights ever.  Knowing their temperments, how they react when scared, how they do having to sit still, how they entertain themselves, etc. I knew they could handle it.

I know kids can be unpredictable but once they get to be a certain age I don't think it's too hard to guess how they will react to things.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options

I think it is fine. This was years ago but that was the only way my mom would fly with my brother. He was very busy and we flew a lot(long 5 hour flights) to visit family. I know the amount of food they give you now is way less but back then they gave you several courses which would help keep him entertained. Plus having the extra room was nice too. If I could afford it I would do it. Also who cares what others think. There are going to be kids around and if you don't like it then don't fly.

i used to feel bad when my kid started screaming in a grocery store but now I look at it as I didn't have any choice and I am doing the best that I can and of others get upset then let them get upset. I am not purposely trying to ruin someone's day. I am a mom doing the best I can. 

• Options
    Lurker: My MIL would have said no small children. That's only because on a flight back from Italy there was a toddler that kicked the back of the seat and screamed just about the whole time. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

The seats in FC are wider and usually only 2x2 instead of 3x3 like in coach, so you're less likely to bug the person sitting next to you and making them get up when you take a kid for a walk or to the bathroom.  The seats have more leg room, so it's less likely that your LO will be kicking the seat in front (though I've never tried a car seat in FC, so maybe a preschooler's legs are long enough?).  You're not trapped in your seat for the entire snack service (while you wait for the flight attendants to go up and back with drinks row by row with their cart blocking the aisle).  First class seems like a terriffic option if you can swing it.  You're going to get more side eyes from people in coach if you have a kid, simply because you're going to have more strangers crammed in around you.  I say to heck with the others in First Class who give you a dirty look.  You're probably getting the same free upgrades to FC that they are.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I would have a field day with someone getting huffy with me about having a child in first class.  I can't afford it, but if I could, I wouldn't hesitate.  I've suffered plenty of rude adults who were a lot less well behaved than my toddler children, including those that just can't manage a child being near them. 
  • Options

First class is for whoever can afford it. It is not a guarantee of not having to deal with other members of the human species. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a child first class.

Of course, I'm also fundamentally against first class passengers getting to go through a different screening line at security. I seeeeeethe when I see that. Money should not be able to buy you better services from the government. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"