April 2012 Moms
Options

Coat or no coat w car seat?

Ok so I have the graco snug ride and I have the fleecy insert bundle me thing it's cold here in NY but I can't fit her coat on her w the bundle me insert in.
What do u ladies do?
I usually just put her in her regular clothes, a hat and zip that thing up. But it's so annoying cause if we go to the store and I don't want to lug the carrier in, I have to take her out and put her coat on while we're in the parking lot am I doing something wrong?
Should I take the insert out and dress her in her coat in the car seat? Ugh she always looks so uncomfortable zipped up in her puffy coat......

Re: Coat or no coat w car seat?

• Options

I say no coat. I saw something that said it's dangerous having them in their coat in the carseat anyway. We haven't really gone anywhere when it's been this cold, so I am no help...I will see how it works for us this week though.

Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We have a down bunting bag that is loose, when it is really cold S wears his snowsuit, coolish he wears a fleecy suit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Put her in sans coat and tighten the straps appropriately. Take her out of the seat and put the coat on. If she can fit in the tightened straps with her coat on, then she's fine. If not, then the coat is too thick. I'm not sure about the fleece insert, because I read that nothing should come in between the baby and the seat, so we don't use any of those inserts.

Right now, LO wears a light jacket with a hat, and if it's really cold, I throw a blanket around him as we walk from the house to the car. We usually pre-heat the car, so it's not too chilly. We have an automatic car starter, so we can even do this while we're out shopping. If the car is still cold, we put a blanket over his lower half once he's in the seat. We just recently transitioned to a convertible, so taking him in the carrier into the store is no longer an option.

I would love to get one of these though: https://stores.hbarryboollc.com/-strse-100/005-Grey-Heather-fdsh-Black-(Small)/Detail.bok 

Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm in MN so been dealing with the cold for awhile... and still have plenty of months left to deal with it! I have the showercap style car seat cover that zips up the front, so there isn't anything between him and straps. He has been wearing either a heavy fleece hoodie or a fleece snowsuit, usually with a hat and sometimes with mittens.
  • Options
    Im in MN too and its fridgid but one of my co-workes borrowed me her carseat fuzzy thing (sorry I don't know what its called) but it was too bulky.  My son is a big kid at 24lbs so I took it off and I just dress him in a long sleeved onsie, pants, socks, hat and a hoodie.  Then I tuck him in with a warm fuzzy blanket.  This way when I get to the store I can just tuck the blanket in my bag and he is not too warm.  He barely fits in his car seat as it is without the cover so this seems to have worked for us.  and yes I also heard you shouldn't over stuff them with coats in their car seat for safety purposes.
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    We just use a fleece jacket and cover with a blanket. Nothing too bulky!
  • Options
    No coat.  I'm not able to tighten the straps in a way that i feel she's secure if she's wearing a coat.  I bring her coat with her and change her into it once we're there or wrap her in a warm blanket until we're inside, if I don't take her out in her car seat.
  • Options

No coat in carseat (thats what I was told in parenting class). I put DDs coat/snowsuit in the diaper bag in case we get into an accident or the car brakes down. I wrap her in a blanket between house and car (and cover her legs with it in the car) but the car heats up fast enough I'm not concerned about the 5 mins she might be cold. However, cold here (so far) is about 30 degrees.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No coat. I have read it isn't safe unless it is only a single layer fleece. As above poster said you shouldn't have to adjust the straps at all to accommodate their winter clothing; if you do it is not safe because all that bulk will be compressed in a crash. The bundle mes are also not okay from what I have seen. Only the shower cap style covers are okay according to car seat safety techs. Anything between the baby and the seat or harness is not safe.

We just use a blanket wrapped around him from the car to the store with a hat on his head. The blanket gets tucked around him in the car seat once he is buckled in.

We are looking forward to mild spring weather and it is only early winter!
  • Options
    I keep him in his fleece PJs, no coat, with a shower cap style car seat (nothing under the straps). He gets pretty warm in that setup so I figure we're good. In the convertible in my car we use a thin fleece jacket and I wrap him in a blanket in and out of buildings.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

imageAmyJoy728:
    We just use a fleece jacket and cover with a blanket. Nothing too bulky!

This for our DD#2. For my oldest she walks to the car, takes off her coat and then gets in her seat. When we arrive, she puts her coat back on. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"