Natural Birth

Primrose...

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with taking primrose? If so when did you start taking it and how much? What do you guys think about it? 
image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Primrose...

• I started taking evening primrose oil capsules at 36 weeks.  I talked with my midwife about it first, and I think I took two capsules a day orally, and then poked a hole in one and inserted it vaginally at night.  It's one of those things where you'll never know for sure how much it will help you once labor starts, but I certainly don't think it can hurt at all.  I will say I was much better about consistently taking epo with my second pregnancy, and the delivery was quicker and easier.  However, I'm sure other factors played into this, not just the epo.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not sure what my opinion in epo is. I started inserting two capsules vaginally every evening for about a week before I delivered, as suggested by my doula. My OB said she didn't have a problem with it but she had heard that it can cause heavy post delivery bleeding, but couldn't say 100 first hand if this were true or not. Anyways my cervix was very soft and delivery went smoothly, but I did need a shot of pitocin post delivery to stop the heavy bleeding which was not stopping on its own. I can't say ill be using it again, personally. It just makes me nervous, even though no one can say whether the bleeding really was caused by the epo or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I used it vaginally and orally starting at 37 weeks with DD1. Started dilating earlier but was induced at 40w anyway. This time I just took it orally at 37 weeks because the MW had concerns about infection and early ROM when used vaginally. I ended up rupturing 24 hours before delivering anyway but water broke at 39+2. Was never checked in this pregnancy so I can't compare numbers. Long story short, I'm not sure it did any good, but it doesn't hurt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I took it orally and vaginally -- was probably around 1000 mg each -- starting around 36 weeks. I had no tears with my son and a very easy recovery (little bleeding and not super sore). I will take it again with this pregnancy, as I think it can only help.
    Monique (38), Wife to Steve (32), Mom to DS Sacha (4), DS Ronen due Aug. 1st! BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started using it vaginally at 37 weeks- one capsule w/ holes poked in it just before bed.  I was fully effaced by my due date, but didn't go into labor until 41w1d.  I did have a pretty easy delivery with DS1 & plan on starting the EPO again in a few weeks for DS2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I started EPR at 37 weeks.  One pill a day, orally.  I delivered on my due date :)

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"