3rd Trimester

another leave question

I am curious how people are getting more leave time? I have FEMLA, which gives me 12 weeks, but I have heard of people taking more time - even up to 6 months. I have had to be on bed rest a couple of times - so now I am down to 10 weeks left. Is there something I don't know about getting more leave? Is it just a company policy? I don't think that I am going to be ready to leave my LO after ten weeks. Sigh.

Re: another leave question

• I am using stored sick and vacation days and not taking FMLA since FMLA is unpaid.  I could extend my leave with FMLA but I have no desire to go into upaid status. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • People who are usually able to take longer than FMLA protects have cushy jobs or live outside of the US. FTR, I took 10 weeks (I couldn't afford to take 12) and DS and I adjusted just fine to life away from each other. I was so ready to get out of the house and to not be in yoga pants anymore.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My contract provides for 6 months, up to a year with approval. You can extend your leave by taking any vacation/sick time after FMLA. You can also just talk to your supervisor about continuing to take 12 weeks if they're ok with it.

DX PCOS, Endometriosis 2009
    Eliot. Born 6/18/10
    Missed m/c discovered 1/6/12 at 8-9 weeks
    D&C 1/10/12
    My Blog
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Most of those will be leave of absence. Unpaid time off, probably per company policy. As a school bus driver I left work for 7-8 months. I didn't work summer and I was on and off bed rest the last three months of pregnancy. I took 3 months off after my son was born. My company took me back after, it was unpaid of course. I also lost my route but that was expected. You would have to talk to who ever employs you and find out if a longer leave would compromise the position you are in and if you are willing to do that to stay home a bit longer.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My company's policy is 6 months, but it is up to each department if they pay into state disability or you have to use vacation/sick time to cover it. My dept does not pay into state disability. I am very lucky in that I have been hoarding vacation and sick time and have enough time to cover a full six months off. Most people in my dept take a month unpaid.

California gives you 4 months of pregnancy disability and you can apply for 12 more weeks under the Family Rights act on top of that (I do not know a ton about these laws as my co has a great policy in place). Most people I know of get/got at least 4 months, some paid, some unpaid, and many employers offer 6 months. Usually if it was paid, it was at 55% under state disability.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I am a teacher and as per our contract, I can use up to 40 of my own stored sick days (we don't get vacation time as it is built into the school year).  I used 40 with DD two years ago, so this time I am using 30 that I have saved up.  Within those 30 days is a week of vacation (Winter Break in February), so I am technically getting 7 weeks completely paid.  After that, I am taking 6 weeks partially paid (2/3 of your salary or $530, whichever is higher) through the NJFLA (not sure if other states offer a program like this).  Then, I am taking 3 weeks completely unpaid through FMLA.  I will return to work with about 7 weeks left to the school year and then be off for the summer.  I am going back to get a few paychecks and so that I don't lose my health insurance.  All in all, I will be off for 16 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSittinUnderAPalmTree:
    I am a teacher and as per our contract, I can use up to 40 of my own stored sick days (we don't get vacation time as it is built into the school year).  I used 40 with DD two years ago, so this time I am using 30 that I have saved up.  Within those 30 days is a week of vacation (Winter Break in February), so I am technically getting 7 weeks completely paid.  After that, I am taking 6 weeks partially paid (2/3 of your salary or $530, whichever is higher) through the NJFLA (not sure if other states offer a program like this).  Then, I am taking 3 weeks completely unpaid through FMLA.  I will return to work with about 7 weeks left to the school year and then be off for the summer.  I am going back to get a few paychecks and so that I don't lose my health insurance.  All in all, I will be off for 16 weeks.

I also pay into a private disability plan, so I will get some money through that.  It's about what I would get in those three weeks of work that I am taking unpaid, so it works out that I will get paid something the entire time I am off. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You should check to see if your bed rest is considered medical leave. I don't think that is considered part of your maternity leave but medical. May still be unpaid but you could have your 2 weeks back.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I get a year because I'm in Canada.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I have 6 weeks of STD (8 weeks for a c/s), but for the first two weeks, I have to use up all of my vacation/sick time.  After those initial two weeks, the STD will kick in and I will get 60% of my pay for four weeks (to total the 6 weeks).

After STD, I will take the additional 6 weeks of FMLA (unpaid).  This will give me a total of 12 weeks off.

If things get tight, I can return to work at anytime during the unpaid FMLA period.

Soooo... I have no secrets to extra time off!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I taking 12 weeks unpaid FMLA, but the school district I work for will technically hold a position for me for up to 3 years if I wanted to take a long term leave. You just lose all your benefits (and pay obviously) during that time. Basically, you quit, but they will give you a teaching position if you want to return after a couple of years.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was barely able to get 8 (mostly unpaid) weeks off. I'll only get paid for 3 weeks because I'm using all of my 2013 PTO days. Sooooo..... I have no tips for getting a longer leave :(
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageInkedMegs:

I have 6 weeks of STD (8 weeks for a c/s), but for the first two weeks, I have to use up all of my vacation/sick time.  After those initial two weeks, the STD will kick in and I will get 60% of my pay for four weeks (to total the 6 weeks).

After STD, I will take the additional 6 weeks of FMLA (unpaid).  This will give me a total of 12 weeks off.

If things get tight, I can return to work at anytime during the unpaid FMLA period.

Soooo... I have no secrets to extra time off!

This exactly for me as well. If I go on bed rest up to 6 weeks before baby is born that will be STD for me as well. I should have one more week of vacation left but to use it I have to go back to work for at least 1/2 day after STD ends then I can take that week. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My office policy allows up to 6 months off, but it is not paid.  I have to use sick and/or leave time for all of my maternity leave or go unpaid.  Gotta love the U.S.  federal government!
    Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Our HR dept informed me that I will have to use up all my sick time before I can apply for FMLA.  At our school we use up any accrued sick time, six week unpaid leave, and then we can request FMLA time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"