October 2011 Moms
Options

PSA: strap your furniture!

With the New Year rolling in and January being month most people work around the house, I thought this was a perfect time for a PSA. Our LOs are becoming more mobile every day and some are even scaling their cribs by now. It's not unrealistic to think they couldn't scale a dresser, and God forbid that desser fall on them, it could kill them. This goes for other furniture as well. I just strapped their play kitchen and a cube organizer we had in the living room because I caught my DD (who has NEVER tried climbing but learned from her baby brother) climbing the play kitchen. Anything that could come crashing down on them and crush them should be strapped, toy organizers, play kitchens, dressers, china cabinets, book shelves. Anything. 

Need a real-life story? Read this: warning SAD! https://lovelightlaughterandchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/12/be-with-me-just-for-today.html?m=1

These are the straps we bought off amazon:  

https://www.amazon.com/Mommys-Helper-Resistant-Furniture-Brackets/dp/B00081MHJI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1356969215&sr=8-6&keywords=Furniture+strap 

$5 and 15 minutes could literally save your child's life! It happens in an instant, please be safe.  

Re: PSA: strap your furniture!

• Options

I'm glad you wrote this. I've been telling DH for a few months now that we need to do this ASAP. We've both been so preoccupied with his new work schedule and the holidays that we keep forgetting to buy the straps.

I read a story awhile back about someone losing their LO that way, and it always stuck with me. I don't know if your link is the same article It's such a terrible (and avoidable) tragedy. Thanks for the reminder kagl. I'm going to order those straps right now!

• Options

Thank you for posting this. I have a few bookshelves that need strapped. We are moving in a month or so and I plan to anchor everything down in the new house. There is a lady that goes to my inlaws church that lost her grandaugther because a dresser fell on her. I am bookmarking your amazon link!

Clickys

https://lovelightlaughterandchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/12/be-with-me-just-for-today.html?m=1

https://www.amazon.com/Mommys-Helper-Resistant-Furniture-Brackets/dp/B00081MHJI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1356969215&sr=8-6&keywords=Furniture+strap

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I read a story this morning about this. I cried. I just told DH we were strapping all furniture down.

Lovelightlaughterandchocolate.blogspot.com

Sorry, I can't make it clicky.
  • Options
    imageLatteLady5:

Thank you for posting this. I have a few bookshelves that need strapped. We are moving in a month or so and I plan to anchor everything down in the new house. There is a lady that goes to my inlaws church that lost her grandaugther because a dresser fell on her. I am bookmarking your amazon link!

Clickys

https://lovelightlaughterandchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/12/be-with-me-just-for-today.html?m=1

Thank you for the clicky's! I found these straps to be so easy to work with. I did both pieces of furniture myself in less than 15 minutes. Easy peasy, and now I feel SOOOO much better.

I will admit that I haven't been as vigilant as I should be with strapping furniture. My excuse was that my DD doesn't climb (well, now she does!) or they are still in their cribs and rarely in their rooms alone (well, it can happen in a second). 

As this mama stated, she didn't hear anything because her DDs body cushioned the sound. I think that's the part that got me this morning. My DD will soon be transitioning to a big girl bed. There's no better time to do this than right now.

My view is it only takes a few minutes to strap furniture, and what if I didn't do it and something happened? I'd never forgive myself. Being lazy (on my part) never is an excuse. I can't think I'm invincible forever. 

• Options
    Ugh, my throat hurts from the pain while reading this but thank you for sharing. We'll be strapping down a shelf/cube thing in our room and her dresser. Awful absolutely awful.
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 - 11/16/10 CP 12/1/10
    Our team green turned into team pink! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 17dpo - 47, 19dpo - 114 Chart
  • Options
    I guess this is the only benefit of living in an earthquake zone. Our furniture was strapped to the walls long before LBB made an appearance.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I can only imagine how many holes I am going to have in the walls. I rearrange her room all of the time! Right now she doesn't play in there and is only in there when sleeping, and she doesn't have a dresser since everything is in her closet. But once she is in a toddler bed we will have a few items we need to secure.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    So sad.

Thank you for sharing. I'm buying some furniture straps off amazon tonight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing.  After reading her story I promptly went and turned my daughter's expedit tower on its side until we could anchor it.
  • Options

I balled reading this story.  Like serious ugly cry.  It absolutely broke my heart.

We are putting our house on the market and I am really torn about what to do.  I don't want to put holes in the wall when we are trying to sell our house and hopefully we will be out soon... but I also don't want to risk a tragedy. 

Married 08/18/07
    BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"