2nd Trimester

What's pricey?

I have seen a lot of posts recently about different baby products, and it seems a lot of people are saying items are pricey, and it seems to vary a lot by who the poster is. Obviously everyone is on a different budget, and different things would be considered pricey for different people. This is more of an opinion/curiosity question than anything else.
What do you consider cheap/pricey for big items such as strollers and cribs?

Re: What's pricey?

• I think "pricey" is whatever you couldn't afford to pay for out of pocket without using credit. Most of the population would probably think a Stokke stroller was pricey, but there are people for whom it wouldn't make a dent in the monthly budget. 

• I grew up as a clearance shopper so I consider pretty much everything pricey, lol. I got my daughter's normally expensive Graco carseat, Graco PNP with all of the bells and whistles, and our jogging stroller for $150 combined (on Target clearance). I also don't see anything wrong with used products/clothes as long as they are safe so we often go that route too. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • there are some pretty ridiculously priced items out there. $70 for a bumbo seat?!? $200+ for a high chair, $500 for a stroller - those are overly priced IMO
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • I live in the city in a yuppie area so anything that you can't buy at Target or BRU is pricey to ridiculous.

On the plus side we have some killer second hand shops!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageRussianMommy:
    there are some pretty ridiculously priced items out there. $70 for a bumbo seat?!? $200+ for a high chair, $500 for a stroller - those are overly priced IMO

Agreed! 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I fell in love with a glider that was very pricey like 1200. I didn't buy it because of the pricetag but I do still dream about it. I just think that's a crazy price for one chair when I bought my entire living room set for 1500.

Edit: I guess parenthesis and dollar signs are not working on mobile.
  • Pricey to me is when it moves from "wow, you get so much more for your money if you go with this higher priced product" to basically just paying for a particular brand that doesn't get you anything more but is more expensive.  For example, we had a Chicco travel system that was soooo bulky.  I didn't realize it as a FTM, but it was not right for us.  We ended up getting a Baby Jogger City Mini and LOVE the convenience of it.  To me, it wasn't overboard/pricey because it met our needs (not to say it's a super expensive stroller or anything, but when you've already got a fine stroller, some could see it as overboard).  Now if we had compared the city mini with a similar stroller that was more expensive that basically had the same features, I'd say it was the "pricey option".
  • I consider Peg Perego and beyond pretty extravagant.  Heck, I felt bad registering for Chicco, but knew we would just buy it if someone didn't get it for us. 

My SIL has a Peg Perego infant seat and her kid hates it.  He's not even 3 months old and she's already considering moving him to a convertible.  There goes $250 on a car seat.  My son hated his infant seat as well and we moved him at 5 months to a convertible, but at least it was a part of our travel system.

Like PP said, everyone's interpretation is different.  But safety is most important, and trust me, your kid will poop and puke all over anything regardless of price!

Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • This seems like a weird question to me.  What's pricey.  Obviously that will be different for everyone.

I buy most of our baby stuff off Craigslist.  I won't pay more than $20-40 bucks for most things: swing, exersaucer, bumbo, highchair, etc.  I paid $200 for a crib and dresser combo for DD and so far she used and DS is currently using it and the 3rd kiddo will too.  I bought a Dutalier glider that is pretty expensive and has the recline feature and included the footstool off craigslist for $100 and that still seemed high to me but I love the glider and will have used it with all 3 of our kids.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I Consider pricey to be anything above the average selling price of that product type. If 4 brands are around 50 and 1 is 75, the 75 is the pricey one. I guess I don't have a certain line that I consider pricey as it depends on the item!
  • Pricey is anything you don't want to buy because of the price.

For me, I don't mind paying top dollar for stroller, car seat and furniture because I hope to be able to use it for a long time to come...as for baby clothes, I probably wouldn't go overboard and buy a cashmere sweater for a baby because I don't see the long term use in it....but for other things, if there's a long term use for it, I definitely buy it.

But in the end, pricey is so varied because it really depends on each person and what you can and WANT to spend on an item. 

• imageNuggetPie:

Pricey is anything you don't want to buy because of the price.

For me, I don't mind paying top dollar for stroller, car seat and furniture because I hope to be able to use it for a long time to come...as for baby clothes, I probably wouldn't go overboard and buy a cashmere sweater for a baby because I don't see the long term use in it....but for other things, if there's a long term use for it, I definitely buy it.

But in the end, pricey is so varied because it really depends on each person and what you can and WANT to spend on an item. 

Wow! You've made amazing strides in figuring out how to use these complicated internet forum thingees, all of a sudden. Congrats Princess Passive Aggressive!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"