Babies: 3 - 6 Months

5 month old sleep

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on helping my 5 month old to sleep.  We cosleep, which we weren't planning to do until our baby woke up for 15 minutes of every hour for the first 2 nights at home but slept for 2 hour blocks in our bed.  Since she was born, she really won't sleep anywhere but in bed, with mom next to her or being held.  She will nap for 2 to 2 and a half hours if you hold her for the nap.  When you put her down, she wakes within 15-20 minutes, regardless of how "out" she is when you put her down.  This is actually an improvement from her first 2 months when she would wake within 5 minutes.  

Our normal routine is:

6am-ish: wake for the day

9am-ish- nap- 20 minutes if set down, about 2 hours if held

1pm-ish- nap- same deal, 2 hours if held, 20 minutes if in her crib

6:30-7pm- down for the night.  Our bedtime routine involves changing into pajamas/diaper change in a dimly lit room, massage, lullaby, nursing, then bouncing to sleep.  She used to require nursing to sleep, but after reading "No Cry Sleep Solution," she is still awake after nursing and requires bouncing and shushing to fall asleep (while wearing a nursing cover to keep her from trying to look around the dark room).  

Up until the past 2 weeks or so, she went down fairly easily, would sleep in the pack and play (after waking up every 20 minutes for about an hour), would then sleep until 9:30 or so.  I would bring her into bed with me and she would nurse and then go to sleep for the night, waking only once or twice.  Lately she is waking much more often than this, probably 4-5 times during the night and wanting to get up for the day around 4am.  

At her best, at 3 months, she was sleeping in the pack and play in our room, alone from 9:30 to 3, waking up to eat, then back in pack and play alone until around 6am.  This disappeared around 4 months and reverted to her newborn sleep habits.

Any suggestions, other than CIO?  I do not want to try CIO at this point.  I have tried putting her down drowsy (just starts screaming), putting her down drowsy and rocking her with my hand in the crib and shushing (she calms for a few minutes but then starts screaming again), tried the pacifier.   I need to make/eat dinner, wash the dishes, etc. 

Re: 5 month old sleep

• CIO is hard I admit I wont let her do it for more than about a minute! So I understand, I suggest using some sort of sleep aid like a noise machine and lights. Our noise machine has a lil projector on it sometimes it helps her fall asleep in her bassinet, she loves sleeping with me and hated the bassinet until about two months ago. But now with the noise machine, a paci and even using the vibrate function on the bassinet she will finally sleep in it for a few hours. Try that keeping her bed so close to yours that you can reach in and place your hand on her belly to soothe her when she stirs. Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This sounds very similar to our LO who will not sleep anywhere else, either... I would try putting her to bed later, though. We also bedshare and my LO will go down for the night at about 9pm... She may just be napping too much? I have also recently started to just putting my LO in her bouncy chair if she is wide awake or fighting sleep. Usually after no longer than a half an hour she has worn herself out and is ready for bed... GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • There are a bunch of methods out there I would read about them and see what works best for your family. Remember whatever you decide give it 10 to 14 days to work. I like the sleep lady shuffle there is also pick up put down, Ferber, save our sleep, no cry sleep solution.
    I would start with night time put her in her crib if she wakes shhh her pick her up for about 2 min then put her back down. Then work on the morning nap and then the afternoon nap

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Seems like she is awake a really long time between naps. I know this really isn't answering your Q, but more naps might help her fall asleep better if you catch her sleep cues. If she is overtired, she will be harder to get down.  4+ hours for 5 MO is a really long time to be awake based on her age.  My 5 MO rarely goes more than 3 hours between naps, and we have to be out and about for that to happen. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"